Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
how to spot a triathlete in a group ride...
Quote | Reply
since i like reading the "how to spot a triatlete in the pool" thread. i figured what better way to kill some more time at work than to start this one.

i will start with the list that used to make it easy to spot me (times have changed)
1. aero bars/tri bike (duh)
2. tri top
3. long pulls
4. gels on top tube (heck, gels at all...)
5. un-velcroing and taking feet out of shoes half a block from the end of the ride.
6. no gloves
7. 2+ H2O bottles AND drinking them!
8. no show on cold days.
9. complaining of "this morning's run"
10. sweat smells like chlorine.

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: how to spot a triathlete in a group ride... [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last group ride i did, i recall doing no pulls, cuz I can't, if I do I blow up

had a normal jersey, road bike, poptarts instead of gels
it was cold

no gloves..you got me there!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-poor handling skills from doing most of their miles on a trainer

guilty as charged.
Quote Reply
Re: how to spot a triathlete in a group ride... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmm... Pop Tarts...

http://www.tac.tv/halloween_vid1031

lol...
Quote Reply
Re: how to spot a triathlete in a group ride... [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the one who rides with the front group but never wins a sprint or maybe even TRIs to sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: how to spot a triathlete in a group ride... [Lou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
only one strap on cycling shoes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good list - but I have a (somewhat) serious question:

As a triathlete, I understand the general concern by roadies of triathletes riding in aero - and that it's generally "frowned" upon. My question is then why is it that when I'm riding (and aero) that more times than not I find that I must be some sort of magnet for roadies and they can't help themselves from sucking on my wheel? I mean, it's ok for them to draft off me while I'm in aero (and riding solo) but not ok for me to ride aero if they pass and keep with my pace (of course, that's if they ever decide to do some work on their own)? What's the protocol?

thanks!

"I ain't never been nothin' but a winner"
Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: how to spot a triathlete in a group ride... [chitide1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my experience with this in a group ride is: when pulling, get as areo as you like. when sucking a wheel, have your hands at a location that allows you access very quickly to brakes AND gives you more control for evasive manuvering (spelling?). also have you ever tried to point out hazzards while in the extensions?

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
my experience with this in a group ride is: when pulling, get as areo as you like. when sucking a wheel, have your hands at a location that allows you access very quickly to brakes AND gives you more control for evasive manuvering (spelling?). also have you ever tried to point out hazzards while in the extensions?

Ahhh... not pointing out stuff. Another way to spot the triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand that - question is if I'm out riding solo, and a group of roadies decide that I look like a good guy to draft off of - to no decision of my own - what's the protocol? They essentially have decided to include me in their group - If they pass me, I'm still planning to ride aero. And if they pass me, you better believe I'm going to take a breather for a few minutes.

And yes, I've pointed out obsticles while in aero many times. I think most experienced aero riders could do that...

Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Last edited by: chitide1: Jan 13, 10 10:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
since i like reading the "how to spot a triatlete in the pool" thread. i figured what better way to kill some more time at work than to start this one.

i will start with the list that used to make it easy to spot me (times have changed)
1. aero bars/tri bike (duh) Check. Sweet QR TiPhoon
2. tri top Check
3. long pulls Check and might I add sometimes hammering and losing the group only to blow up within minutes and then get dropped themselves
4. gels on top tube (heck, gels at all...) I carry them but usually forget to take them but they're not on my top tube
5. un-velcroing and taking feet out of shoes half a block from the end of the ride. Check Some habits are hard to drop
6. no gloves Check I don't own a pair
7. 2+ H2O bottles AND drinking them! Check One aerobottle and one on the down tube
8. no show on cold days. I live in Florida so if it's below 45 then definitely CHECK
9. complaining of "this morning's run" I miss this one because I run AFTER my ride
10. sweat smells like chlorine. I miss this one too. I smell like roses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well...... in that instance i don't think they have much say in it unless you make the choice of joining their group. then i would say adhere to their "rules". but if they are sucking your wheel un announced, aero and hammer! make them work for their "free ride"

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good answer. I appreciate that response.

Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: how to spot a triathlete in a group ride... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cherry frosted poptart ? Not to keen on the chocalate

Quote | Reply
how to spot a triathlete in a group ride\\

If you are a roady, just look up ahead of you...

Seriously though, it just depends of the type of ride you are in. All the ones I ever did, and always with my tribike, it was a pretty good situation. I have to say however that in the last 10 years I have gone on a couple group rides and got the lectures and start downs when I show up on my tri bike..I usually just blow them off if I can, and once the real break forms there is never a problem again. The 3 or 4 guys that end up in my group are happy to have me pulling in my aero position, and if they made the break, then I usually have no problem behind them sitting aero, but only usually when I'm at the very back...I understand it is a whole different story for most other triathletes though, and I can understand some of the apprehension that roadys have....
Quote Reply
Re: how to spot a triathlete in a group ride... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"how to spot a triathlete in a group ride\\

If you are a roady, just look up ahead of you...

Seriously though, it just depends of the type of ride you are in. All the ones I ever did, and always with my tribike, it was a pretty good situation. I have to say however that in the last 10 years I have gone on a couple group rides and got the lectures and start downs when I show up on my tri bike..I usually just blow them off if I can, and once the real break forms there is never a problem again. The 3 or 4 guys that end up in my group are happy to have me pulling in my aero position, and if they made the break, then I usually have no problem behind them sitting aero, but only usually when I'm at the very back...I understand it is a whole different story for most other triathletes though, and I can understand some of the apprehension that roadys have.... "

sounds like we could get along just fine.

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually with you on this. I probably do most of my riding on a road bike with roadies, but you're right, there is a double standard.

If I ever showed up on a group ride with my tri bike, I'd be ostracized, and everyone would explain how dangerous it was.

But if I'm doing a tempo workout on my tri bike, roadies latch onto my wheel almost every time I pass them (I call the unwanted drafters "ticks").

Why is it all of a sudden not dangerous? I'm sure these are some of the same guys who would crucify a triathlete for showing up at their ride on a tri bike.

http://snappletriteam.com/
Quote Reply
Re: how to spot a triathlete in a group ride... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I decided that I wanted to come to the defence of triathletes in the "how to spot triathletes in the pool thread" so may as well paste that response here:

--------------------
.....when I talk to runners in general, they are intrigued by doing triathlon. Most think that it would be a cool event to try. They don't look down on triathletes. In fact, they know that given the impact of running, doing some of the tri stuff eventually becomes a reality cause they have to do something when injured.....soon, a triathlete is born.....

I guess that is why there are hundreds of thousands of people doing both running and triathlon. They are sports that generally like to include people, rather than the elitest bullcrap and "pecking order" that seems to come with competitive swimming (what lane are you in), or competitive road riding (you're either in the sprint finish or cannon fodder).

Swimming and Cycling are more or less Front of Pack sports only.

Anyone beneath front of pack may as well not show up.

If you are a newbie, overweight, have bad technique or are not "otherwise perfect" the ruling class in those sports will mock you to death and will "put you in your place", you need to look no further for that attitude than some of the posts in this thread.....

Here in triathlon and in running, we welcome everyone.

You can be the best YOU can BE and still have an enjoyable experience. You don't have to worry about which lane you are in, with bad technique. You don't have to worry about whose wheel you can hang off, hold a line and show up at the sprint finish (Unless you are doing IM Florida or Clearwater....but I digresss). Our triathlon champions show up and give out finisher medals to 16+ hour finishers at Kona, or Taupo or Penticton or Klagenfurt.

That's what's cool about triathlon and why our sport continues to grow while others stagnate and shrink. Yeah we have our geeky bars (Greg Lemond thanks us for winning that TdF by 8 seconds by the way....) , and our wetsuits and our finisher gear....but the funny thing is all these other sports would kill to have what we have.....what we don't have is an attitude that says, "we're better than you". We want you and we want you to enjoy our sport, complete with all its good and bad.

--------------------
As I said in the other thread..... now back to the regular programming. Keep mocking the triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gloves suck. Call me vain but I wanted to keep funky tan lines to a minimum in my road racing days. =)

I would add:

-- general squirreliness
-- slow as molasses cadence
-- half wheeling when riding next to you
-- off the back during accelerations/sprints
Quote Reply
Re: how to spot a triathlete in a group ride... [Laflore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Gloves suck. Call me vain but I wanted to keep funky tan lines to a minimum in my road racing days. =)

I would add:

-- general squirreliness
-- slow as molasses cadence
-- half wheeling when riding next to you
-- off the back during accelerations/sprints

you're vain!

i agree with your additions.

and Paul,
all those examples in my OP were directly from ME. i have since ditched most of those signs as i have learned and grown as a TRIATHLETE. i do ride with our local bike racing group both with tri bike and regular road bike. i like to think that our group, with the exception of one jerk, is a nice group of guys (and a couple gals) that aren't "FOP'ers only".

carry on...

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on the group. There is a tri store around here that's fairly well known (Inside Out Sports) which runs group rides in the warmer months. I have been one of the only peoe to show up with a road bike on nights with a lot of people. I have also seen a perfectly run pace line of almost all tri bikes, mostly in the aero bars. Granted, that's normally the A group. I have seen sleeveless jerseys, gels on top tubes, even shirtless guys out there. Disc wheels, the occasional aero helmet, bottle launchers gallore, I mean everything, and on most nights! It's a whole different planet out there, but I like it. Those dudes are frigging fast too. I've never been on a slaughterfest like the IOS A-train with all roadies, EVER!

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, you forget the easiest...mis-matched kit and incorrect sock height.

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: how to spot a triathlete in a group ride... [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: how to spot a triathlete in a group ride... [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After or before unloading bike he or she sets his running shoes up near his rear car tire ( or in trunk) on top of a towel next to a fuel belt filled with water and gu.

Quote | Reply
I thought he was the guy way out front cuz the roadies lost the draft

jaretj
Quote Reply

Prev Next