Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how much to pack a bike?
Quote | Reply
As a follow-up to my earlier post regarding shipping a bike. Shipping aside, how much is reasonable to pay a bike shop to pack a bike? I've done it many times and know its a piece of cake for a mech to partially disassemble a mountain bike for shipping. Probably a 15 minute job if that. Anyway just wondering what to expect. I saw some shops try to charge $40 for the box (that they throw away anyway) and then another $80 to disassemble.. seems a little steap for such an easy job.

I'm willing to pay the going rate, just don't know what it is.

thanks,
David
Quote Reply
Re: how much to pack a bike? [kytri_in_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with the box, 35 to 50 dollars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're talking in the Bay Area, right? I wouldn't be surprised to see it's an hours labor minimum charge ($65?) plus at least $10 for the box. Reasonable? Dunno... it's not a service they HAVE to provide, and there's no likely repeat business in it for them... and I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of tracking numbers and the inevitable damage claims...

That being said, in these economic times, it would certainly be in the best interests of the shop to take this kind of "free money" jobs while they can. Shop around.
Quote Reply
Re: how much to pack a bike? [dpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would charge $35 in my shop
Quote Reply
Re: how much to pack a bike? [dpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> I wouldn't be surprised to see it's an hours labor minimum charge ($65?)<<

I'd say that's pretty spot on in the Bay Area.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike shop in central Maine was going to charge me $25. I asked a friend to help, and made him homemade chicken noodle soup and homemade wheat rolls for his effort instead.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice is to call a bunch of shops (even out of state) and see how much they charge. My shop charges 75 to build a mt bike without disks. So I would say to break down a bike maybe 30. Putting it back together is different because some degree of a tune up is expected.
Quote Reply