Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside?
Quote | Reply
It was minus 54 degree F in Embarass, MN today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if it was a hundred degrees warmer than what they were getting in good old Embarass, MN, I wouldn't be running outside. But then, I'm a big sissy ;-)

Pussy Galore
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somewhere between pretty cold and really cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brrr... it was 60 in LV today. I thought about staying inside.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't you be out mushing?

It's -4 right now in Northfield. I won't run until it's 10 above.

I had a friend who went through the forestry program at Ely CC. He said the best looking women where from Embarass and Babbit. Apparently there is plenty of heat in such a cold town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coldest I've run in was in the snow at Rock Candy Mt. it was around 20F. For me it's more like, how cold and wet! 30F with heavy rain just won't happen...ever again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF are you doing moving from south Jersey to Embarass? Mining?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I start wondering about being sane when I get out for a run < 0 F!

I did race a half-marathon last February @ 0 F - finishing w/ ice on my shoulders & chest (http://www.trinewbies.com/...id=20218&posts=4).

I think it depends on how well you can adapt to low temps... as long as you feel OK - get out and run!
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [Shony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to live in Rochester, NY, and had "clips" for my shoes so I could run in the snow on the roads. I'd say about 10F was the coldest - below that I figured I could take the day off...

Now I live in LA, and have consequently turned into a big vagina.

John Heiss
PhD Biochemistry, UCLA
Founder, Prolong Energy
http://www.prolongenergy.com
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [jkh2828] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40 degree rule for me.........used to be 35 degrees......

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [IronZ06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same for me, under 40 is very unusual for me. I'll run at the track at the gym instead.

I spent a winter in a warm climate quite some time ago and have never really liked the cold since.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rarely below 9 degrees centigrade in Gibraltar in winter so can run and bike and all of it all year round....very much like the weather in Los Angeles I'd say.....

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar, Europe
graphics@gibraltar.gi
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you high?!!! I just saw that in the news and remembered some people here saying how much they loved to run, no matter how cold!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that once the F scale starts dippipng in to negative numbers its time to re think the run. I have done 0°F recently. Lots of layers. Wicking base layer, Arctictec shirt from Hind and then a Arctictec vest from Hind. Similar on the bottom. Then a hat, and a small scarf and then one of those fleece face warmer things to hold the scarf in place. I think I gained about 15 lbs in clothing, but once I got the blood moving to my fingers it was all OK.

Not that I really want to go running now, its 7° and its cold inside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably draw the line at single diget temperatures. Sunlight and wind also affect my choice. I am more concerned about ice than cold. Running 5 days a week here in Boulder only leaves a few days each winter when I have to avoid running outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's sunny around 10deg, I'll hit a trail to minimize the wind.

If it's raining, etc... then around the freezing mark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Minus 5 or below and I'll do something else. About three years ago I ran with my dad in Michigan when it was -8 with a wind-chill of -35; with the wind it was quite nice. I now live in the caddyass capital of the world, Northern VA. This morning was a perfectly clear morning, beautiful with a low temp of 12 to 15 degrees ABOVE. The powers that be actually gave the kids a two-hour delay this morning due to the "cold" temperature. You've got to be kidding me; this just proves my theory that we (as a society) are raising a generation of caddyasses, especially in No. VA. BTW, the kids in DC and Maryland (all in the DC metro area) attended school today on-time. Sorry, I just had to vent.

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This morning when I ran it was -1 (F). Not sure what the windchill was but I will be sure to put on more layers for my legs tomorrow. My boys still are not speaking to me.

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [notbroken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think once the weatherman states that exposed skin risks frostbite when exposed for 5 minutes or less.....I know to call it a day. Today the risk is 10 minutes...I can handle that ;)
M~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind the cold by itself; I can dress for any temperature, as long as it stays that temperature. It's the wind that's the bitch. Turn a corner and what felt like +10 degrees F all of a sudden feels like -10 degrees F. That tends to make me a bit surly.

That, and the ice. I went down on Sunday during my morning run. Got a nice bruise right below my right kneecap, an my right big toe is a little sore where I hyperextended it, but it could have been much worse.

In spite of these concerns, I like winter training. It forces me to take a break and/or mix things up. And it generally makes me a tougher athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow's my run day. I'll hit it at around 6:15 am. Weatherman say's it will be about 13 F, with a below-zero windchill here on Long Island.

Plan is for 8 miles, with a wimp-out, fall-back position of 6 miles.

This is approaching my limit as far as temp goes.
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dc, I'm with you. Granted 2 generations ago would accuse all of us of being candyasses, but these kids now...they are serious candyasses! And the parents are giant pains in the asses--(if this offends you, then you're one of "those" parents...you know the type that bitches out the football coach if your kid doesn't play in the game even though he missed 5 days of practice, or the type that insists little johnny should have a perfect ballfield to play on even though he's only 6 and doesn't even fully grasp the concept of baseball, let alone play competently...but I digress...)

what's sad is that in a recent 2 feet of snow on the ground, there was but one neighborhood house that had no marks of kids playing in the snow...they're all inside sitting on their fat asses playing video games and crap like that. this is infuriating to me. what happened to playing outside? what happened to the desire to be a kid?

I don't know.

kc
Last edited by: kittycat: Jan 18, 05 5:54
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [jkh2828] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, i still live in rochester, ny and last year i ran all winter outside. the worst was -17 with the windchill. it's actually not bad once you get your ass out the door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right around the freezing mark is my cutoff. I'm just too miserable in the cold.

D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to go out in anything...coldest was probably around 0, and it felt like my shoes were frozen stiff. but after a serious knee injury I cut that out and seldom even go in the rain now. close to freezing is about the cut off, but really find myself indoor when november comes--there is alot of cold rain, sleet, etc. it sucks.

today is about 12 degrees again...I'll happily stay inside.
Quote Reply

Prev Next