Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hilly sprint. what matters more, gears or position. road vs tt bike
Quote | Reply
I have a sprint race coming up next weekend and its my first race that I would consider on a "hilly" course. Most of my races have been on rolling or pretty flat terrain so I just always rode my TT bike and never gave it a second thought.

Im a pretty big guy. I'm not the best climber, or the most confident descender(is that the right word?). I have heard this course described as, "if you aren't going up, then you are going down, there is no flat on the course." Its also followed up by a pretty hilly run course.
here is a map of the bike course https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2089497

here is the run course https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2089516

The course map shows 1200' of elevation over the 12 mile course. Followed by 300' on the 5k course.
My road bike is a trek domane with pretty relaxed geometry. 50/34 crank 11-28 cassette.
My tri bike is a fuji norcom 52/36 crank 11-28 cassette.

I'm leaning toward the road bike for a couple reasons.
The smaller ring on the crank should help me climb a little better.
I'll be more comfortable on the descents having my hands near the brakes.
More than likely I'll be up out of the aero bars on the climbs.

The only cons I can think of would be the geometry of the road bike. I cant really see any aero benefit over 12 miles. I guess my real question is, will the road bike kill my legs more for the run than it will help on the hills?
I'm sure I'm overthinking something here. I'm not fast, even on a flat road I ride 18-20mph. I normally run a 30 minute 5k.
Quote Reply
Re: hilly sprint. what matters more, gears or position. road vs tt bike [jonp9576] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry too much about the climbing aspect of the race. Which bike is more comfortable for you mentally to ride? If you think you'd rather use the road bike for a little easier climbing than go for it. I just finished St. George 70.3. It had about 3500' of gain on the ride and 1200' on the run. There were people with road and tri bikes. I used my tri bike but thats really because my road bike isn't very good haha! I didn't stay in the aero bars on all of the descents because I felt more comfortable closer to the brakes. Whatever makes you more comfortable mentally, use it!
Quote Reply
Re: hilly sprint. what matters more, gears or position. road vs tt bike [jonp9576] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aero will still govern on this course. The climbs look to be in the 4-7% range and going down those you'll have much better aero gains on the TT bike over the road bike. Even going up, a lot of people can churn up those hills on the aerobars which again, is an aero advantage over a road position. If there were more sharp technical turns and steeper grades, like 10-15% then maybe the road bike could be a better choice. The other thing about elevation is to look at the right scaling. That elevation chart makes the gain look much steeper than it actually is. This is the same elevation but closer to the actual scale :)

I will also add that climbing ability is different for each individual so if you have the gearing that would require you to "mash" some of the hills, that can impact you're overall ride and subsequent run.
Last edited by: TrierinKC: May 13, 19 12:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bike is always going to be slower, quite a bit. If that doesn't bother you, then use the road. I would just spend a couple minutes and change out the granny gear on the Tri bike, then you are good to go. Keep in mind that going downhill, you will hit much higher speeds than a flat course, where aero becomes exponentially more beneficial..
Quote Reply
Re: hilly sprint. what matters more, gears or position. road vs tt bike [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Road bike is always going to be slower, quite a bit. If that doesn't bother you, then use the road. I would just spend a couple minutes and change out the granny gear on the Tri bike, then you are good to go. Keep in mind that going downhill, you will hit much higher speeds than a flat course, where aero becomes exponentially more beneficial..

What Monty said.

4-7% grade is rollers, not hills.

And the OP's tri bike granny is 36x28?
That is a TON of climbing gears there. I wouldn't even bother w/ changing any gearing.

I cannot imagine not using the Tri bike, nor any need for more climbing gearing.
You can definitely get some benefit to climbing even at 4-5% in the aerobars, and on the flats and descents the Tri bike will be 100% WINNING! compared to the road steed.

I do a monthly club Tri races that has a 12m course.
TT bike is SOOOO much faster, even with the climbing bits on that course.

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: May 13, 19 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: hilly sprint. what matters more, gears or position. road vs tt bike [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input everyone. I’ll go with the tri bike and let everyone know Sunday afternoon how it went.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info everyone. There was a decent mix of tri bikes and road bikes this weekend. I rode my tri bike. The gearing was fine. I couldn’t really hold the aero position on most of the hills, but the down hills definitely made up for it. A few times, there was a guy on a road bike that passed me on the way up the hill, but on the downhill I flew right past him.

Driving on part of the course on my way to the race, I thought I was going to run out of gears pretty quickly. Turns out the gears were fine and the engine was the reason I went so slowly up those hills.

It was a good learning experience and pretty humbling. I was “hammering” up this one hill at a solid 7mph, i passed a couple riders and felt strong. Then the leaders came by on their second loop. Wow. Right back to reality for me. I was in awe of the power they had to have been putting out. Next year hopefully I’ll come back 50 lbs lighter and move a little quicker up those hills.
Quote Reply