Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

help me pick a new road bike (disc edition)
Quote | Reply
hello all
i am getting ready to pull the trigger and get a new road bike to substitute my current stable of bikes which are

specialized shiv tri (really a love/hate relationship)[used for tri and workouts]
trek 1000 (2007) alu road bike (trainer bike and leisure rides with wife)

what i want a bike for
commuting 30km 2x times pr day from april to october (almost never with a backpack)
a bike race (fun ride) every once in a while
general workouts when the weather is too good for the trainer ( i live in denmark so no mountains)
occasional group ride

my plan is to get a bike with di2 eventually (or now) that is nice for the above
my budget is max 4000€ (thats about 4500 in that american banana currency ;) )
i dont have a lbs nearby where i can try any of the bikes.

the bikes i have in my scope so far is:
- specialized venge expert disc 2018 (ultegra) [3k€]
- giant propel disc sl2 2019(105) [3k€]
- canyon aeroad sl disc 7 2019 (105) [the frame is not build for electronics, so it may be dificult to upgrade to di2??) [3,5k€]
- canyon ultimate sl disc 8.0 di2 2019 [3,5k€]

so the questions i am looking for answers to are:
1. which of the 4 bikes fit my need the best? will i notice any difference between any of them
2. did i miss an obvious better choice that i should look at instead
3.is there any significant difference between an "aero" road bike and the ultimate or "normal race" bike at my current speed (31km/h ish and about 3,75 W/kg)

any help is highly appreciated :)
Quote Reply
Re: help me pick a new road bike (disc edition) [berchrker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you consider a Lynskey Helix Pro? Ultegra di2, hydraulic brakes. 6/4 titanium frame. $4800, but then take 20%, $3840. Free shipping, worldwide. Includes Lynsey post. FSA stem, bars, and Metron wheels could be updated in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would start by figuring out what your stack and reach number are, and which bike will fit. For example the Canyon Aeroad and Ultimate got very differently, with Aeroad being quite a bit lower and longer.

Once you’ve figured that out, just go with the bike that fits, has a color scheme you like, and ideally is on sale or well priced. All these mass produced carbon bikes are pretty much the same.

I’d go Di2 now. It will be much cheaper (long run) and lower hassle to get Di2 now rather than upgrade later.
Last edited by: wintershade: Feb 9, 19 15:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
berchrker wrote:
hello all
i am getting ready to pull the trigger and get a new road bike to substitute my current stable of bikes which are...

Never mind all those fools that tell you about bike fit, that ridiculous list you compiled, or your silly budget. Head straight to your BMC dealer and pick up a TeamMachine SLR01 Disc no matter the cost. You're welcome.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: help me pick a new road bike (disc edition) [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
berchrker wrote:
hello all
i am getting ready to pull the trigger and get a new road bike to substitute my current stable of bikes which are...

Never mind all those fools that tell you about bike fit, that ridiculous list you compiled, or your silly budget. Head straight to your BMC dealer and pick up a TeamMachine SLR01 Disc no matter the cost. You're welcome.

I do have to say, I have a TM SLR01 Disc/Di2 and love that bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
berchrker wrote:
3.is there any significant difference between an "aero" road bike and the ultimate or "normal race" bike at my current speed (31km/h ish and about 3,75 W/kg)
Assuming we're talking calm-weather flat-ground speed, 3.75W/kg usually gets a rider considerably more than 31km/h on a road bike.

Anyway, what do you consider "significant"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All those bikes will make perfect commute bikes. They are designed for everyday use, and so no issues with having it chained up at work with the other commuter hacks. And the long and low geometries are ideal for wearing with a rucksack as that means that you'll not have any gap between the back of your helmet and rucksack that would otherwise allow the air to vortex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a Specialized guy, so I would learn toward the venge if that’s what you like.

I have a roubaix now and it’s great.

My shameless plug... if you are a 54cm size, I have a 2010 Specialized S Works Tarmac frame set I plan to sell. It is just hanging in my basement right now. Not a scratch on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I see commuter bike and race bike as separate bikes. For commuting I value reliability, low maintenance and value over performance, for racing it's the opposite. E.g. My commuter bike has a steel frame so it's no problem if it picks up scratches or dings from being used every day, locked up in a shared use bike room, etc. It has wheels with box rims and high spoke count that are bulletproof and easy to repair or replace. Tires are Schwalbe Marathons that go 5000+ miles without puncturing even on roads littered with broken glass and potholes. Drive train is lubricated with a thick all weather lube and doesn't get cleaned or re-lubed very often. You get the idea. Whereas my race bike is a Canyon Aeroad which is relatively fragile (low spoke count wheels, thin walls on the frame, race tires), expensive to replace parts, but is lightweight and fast.

So if it was me I'd use the Trek for commuting most of the time, and buy yourself a nice race bike equipped with nice fast tires, that you use for racing, training and group rides when the weather is nice and which doesn't get subjected to the wear and tear of commuting. In which case the Aeroad is very nice and Canyon are probably better value for money than any of the other brands (unless you get a sale bike or good discount from your local shop). And I know several people with Canyon Ultimates (including one ex-Canyon employee) and every single one of them will admit that they wished they'd paid the extra to get the equivalent Aeroad model.
Quote Reply