Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

help, dumb question about presta valves/extenders
Quote | Reply
needed a valve extender for my spare tube, so wasn't looking to spend much just asked LBS what they had in their parts bin. the extender they gave me i've come to find out is is the type which is for non-removable valve cores. i do not know what brand it is. looked all over the internet and can't quite find exactly what it is.

my question is - when installed, the extender's integrated valve does not have a lock nut which screws down into a locked position like you would after filling your tires with air. it's just "open". if you press on it, the tire deflates, but it is basically as if you just left your presta valve lock nut unscrewed. there's no way to tighten this thing down.

will this "work"? can i ride along with a presta valve in the open position and not lose air? am i missing something about how this valve extender should be able to screw down into a locked position? i've tried everything and can't figure this thing out. read all the articles i can find including the old 2012 ST article about extenders. it appears this is the way the zipp ones work, they don't appear to have any presta nut on the end and appear to just rely on the "open" valve at the base of the extender....but before putting this thing in my spares kit and expecting it to work someday when im 50 miles from home, if someone can tell me this is all OK, that'd make me feel much better!

thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: help, dumb question about presta valves/extenders [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used them and they work just fine.

I've also used the one that don't have the button on top and it works just as well. You'll need something to put into the extender to deflate the tire if needed. Like a small allen wrench.

The only issue I've had is the cheap plastic ones break as I tried to tighten them down. Even with Teflon tape I couldn't get it to seal tight enough to hold air while inflating.
Quote Reply
Re: help, dumb question about presta valves/extenders [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
needed a valve extender for my spare tube, so wasn't looking to spend much just asked LBS what they had in their parts bin. the extender they gave me i've come to find out is is the type which is for non-removable valve cores. i do not know what brand it is. looked all over the internet and can't quite find exactly what it is.

my question is - when installed, the extender's integrated valve does not have a lock nut which screws down into a locked position like you would after filling your tires with air. it's just "open". if you press on it, the tire deflates, but it is basically as if you just left your presta valve lock nut unscrewed. there's no way to tighten this thing down.

will this "work"? can i ride along with a presta valve in the open position and not lose air? am i missing something about how this valve extender should be able to screw down into a locked position? i've tried everything and can't figure this thing out. read all the articles i can find including the old 2012 ST article about extenders. it appears this is the way the zipp ones work, they don't appear to have any presta nut on the end and appear to just rely on the "open" valve at the base of the extender....but before putting this thing in my spares kit and expecting it to work someday when im 50 miles from home, if someone can tell me this is all OK, that'd make me feel much better!

thanks.

I’ve never liked these types of extenders. They do work. But I prefer the RVC versions which relocate the valve to the end of the adpater.

For the type you have it is recommended that you open the non-RVC fully and over open it slightly with a pliers to make sure the threaded closure stays open. You then screw the extender onto the tube stem. All these extenders I’ve had use a hex wrench in the end of the valve to tighten them. You’ll need the same hex wrench available to push into the extender to deflate the tube. Using a little Teflon tape on the tube stem threads before installing the extension can help seal it tightly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a fan of that style of extender. I've used the zipp ones before and had issues.

For me, it's less about losing air from the open presta core inside and more about the reliability of being able to get air into the tube when I need to. That style of extender usually doesn't play well with pumps, in my experience. For one, you can't use a thread-on type chuck for pumps (which means the lezyne mini pump i use on my road bike wouldn't work with it. I haven't tried my silca pump on that style to see if it works. There are also some co2 inflators that thread-on, so those wouldn't work either.

Second, even when i do have a pump locked on to the end securely, I've still encountered problems getting air into the tube. The zipp extenders would often leak from where they thread on to the valve core. When they were brand new they seemed ok (especially with some teflon tape on the threads) but over time I'm not sure if they would get slightly warped or what, but most of the air that i was pumping in would leak right out.

I'd rather spend $20 to get either a tube with a long enough valve that i don't need an extension, or a tube with a removable valve core and the other style of extention. Vittoria, bontrager, continental, etc all make high quality extenders that won't leak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"can i ride along with a presta valve in the open position and not lose air?"

Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: help, dumb question about presta valves/extenders [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
"can i ride along with a presta valve in the open position and not lose air?"

Yes.

^^^^This.

The centrifugal force (even at mountain descent speeds) isn't enough to open the valve. I've trained and raced on these types of "straw" extenders for over 15 years without issue.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply