Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hed 3 wobble after installing cassette
Quote | Reply
I am new to working on my own bike and I have hit a problem with my rear wheel.
I bought a Hed 3 tri spoke rear wheel (clincher) off of eBay. The wheel came without a cassette.
I put a Shimano Ultegra HG CS-6500 9-speed on the wheel. The shifters are Shimano Dura Ace bar-end and the derailleurs are Shimano Ultegra. I used the skewer from my Mavic Ksyrium Elite rear wheel.

When I put the Hed on my bike, it looks like the cassette and chain wobbles when turning the pedals. The wheel itself doesn't wobble (the distance between the brake pads and wheel doesn't change).

Is the wobble normal? Have I installed the cassette wrong? Is the cassette incompatible with the shifters/derailleurs? Bad wheel?

Thanks in advance.

--I found this from a previous post hed 3 post---
Once that 'perfect cass body position' has been tampered with, as in the case of replacing the bearings, then it needs to be refound.

This is a simple procedure.
Remove the axle, and the the cass body. you'll see that the cass body, where it joins the wheel hub, has 10 teeth type splines on an inverted position. All you have to do is replace the cass body, in a different position than when you took it off. Replacing the axle each time, you will eventually get it right.
---end previous post---
Quote Reply
Re: hed 3 wobble after installing cassette [Ediconex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of threads here about that. It's normal and a consequence of how the hub/axle is centered.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like my HED disc. I just assumed that that was normal since it is pretty difficult to center the hub in 3 dimensions.

I regularly change a Dura Ace 10 spd cassette between wheels. The first time I did it, I missed the little timy skinny spacer underneath the cassette. I couldn't really tighten the lock ring all the way and knew better than to muscle it. The "looseness" of the cogs caused chain slippage problems. My LBS guy diagnosed it without even seeeing the wheel/cassette. I found the spacer on the original hub when I got home. It got lost in the grease/dirt.

Bottom line, make sure you have that spacer.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if the hub has been rebuilt the shim that goes between the hub and wheel body may have been removed lost moved etc.

K
Quote Reply
Re: hed 3 wobble after installing cassette [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I regularly change a Dura Ace 10 spd cassette between wheels. The first time I did it, I missed the little timy skinny spacer underneath the cassette. I couldn't really tighten the lock ring all the way and knew better than to muscle it. The "looseness" of the cogs caused chain slippage problems. My LBS guy diagnosed it without even seeeing the wheel/cassette. I found the spacer on the original hub when I got home. It got lost in the grease/dirt.

Bottom line, make sure you have that spacer."

WRONG! He said he's using a 9-speed cassette. He won't have the spacer you're talking about. But I made the same mistake you did the first time I got a DA10 group. I went to take the cassette off the cheapo wheels that came on the bike and put it on my new bike. I didn't see that little spacer. I dashed out and did a 60 mile ride with some really fast racer guys. I thought my new bike was falling apart. All 'cuz of that silly little spacer. Easy fix, though.

To the original poster. If you're using a 9 speed cassette, you won't have the spacer we're talking about. It's a 10 speed issue.

Bob C.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: hed 3 wobble after installing cassette [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting the correct info. I do not own nor am I familiar with the 9 spd. But, I would have bet my bottom dollar that they both had the spacer, the 10 spd being one more cog and all.

In the immortal words of Gilda Radner, "Nevermind".

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply