Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

half IM recovery time
Quote | Reply
Two Related Questions:

1) Whats the average recovery time after racing a half IM hard? Should you take a recovery super easy week - then go 50% training volume for a week - then back to the swing of things? Assuming you have an olympic you'd like to race a few weeks later?

2) What are people's opinions of racing a 1/2 IM as a training race 5 weeks prior to a "goal race - 1/2 IM"? How much would you have to back-off during the training race to recover to full peak training 1 week after the training race? I'd like to do the training race - take it easy for a week - do some peak training for 3 weeks - taper for a week and then do my goal race......am I overdoing it?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: half IM recovery time [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have roughly the same schedule as you do. I completed the Ralphs 1/2 on April 5 that was my first 1/2, and I am signed up for Wildflower LC on May 3. My take on the back to back 1/2's is this. Swimming does not suffer at all (rested 2 days before training again) and riding, rested 3 days and started training at 75% and quickly got back into the swing. I am not a quick runner at all (1:59:58 1/2 at Ralphs), so motivation to get back to running was a little low. I did not run at all for 9 days, and when I did, I felt great. I could have easily run sooner, but didn't want to rush it. My neighbor ran after 4 days (he ran 1:26) and felt like crap on only a 2 miler. So, somewhere in between what he did and what I did would ensure continuity of training. Hope this helps - Ernie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if there is an average recovery time, but what you are suggesting is very do-able. I am running WF Long course and then 3 weeks later doing the Kona half. Pretty much training up to and thru WF - just a mini taper in front of and a couple of days off after. Think of it as the last hard brick. Then going into a 3 week taper/peaking for the Kona 1/2.

I am assuming your run fitness is outstanding, because this is the part that will cook you. I would suggest not pushing it too hard on the run of the first 1/2 IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The run is always what is going to beat you up the most. So it depends on how long and how hard you ran. The rule of thumb, and it is a guess, is one day of recovery for every mile in a running race. Apply that to the 13.1 mile run of a 1/2 IM and you get roughly 2 weeks.

Historically, this always worked for me. One week very easy and then one week a little less than modest and I was back to normal and ready to ramp it up again.

Your mileage may vary!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply