Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

grey market bike industry questions
Quote | Reply
I am obviously naive, but I always thought there was a 'white' market - legitimate goods sold through retailers that you pay a standard price, and 'black market' - stolen goods that you get for a bargain down the pub.

So here goes.

I wish to upgrade my grouppo on my roadie - it's 55,000k old. So I price STI DA10 at a few stores just to get the feel of the market and the price varies from $1750 (AUD) to $2500. That sounds like a lot of variation to me for a standard set of items. So I chat to my bike store (and sponsor, of sorts) who says the cheap ones are 'grey market' products. He says certain bike stores ship products in from SE Asia, avoid paying duty and so on, and then sell them off to customers cheaper than Shimano Australia sells them to bikes stores. So as such, if you aren't going through the grey market you are forced to sell them at higher, uncompetitive prices to make a profit.

Grey market gear sound like a good deal for the consumer? Well maybe, unless you want a warranty claim, which Shimano Australia won't honour as the serial number on the item didn't go through them.

My question is: does this happen in other countries? What are bike store owner's opinions of this selling practice?
Last edited by: d.w.weston: Nov 25, 04 17:50
Quote Reply
Re: grey market bike industry questions [d.w.weston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gray market gear is common in the bike industry, as it is in just about any industry where equipment is necessary and expensive. Shimano North America came up with a dealer strategy a few years ago to stabilize prices and combat the practice.

With a big name company like Shimano, I don't think there is much risk to the consumer purchasing 'gray' market parts .... it's not often one has to warranty Shimano parts. In 16 years of riding (and 8 years as a bike shop employee) I never personally warrantied any of my own parts and only a few customers parts (and that was usually for rear STI shifters, and a few cranks).

Ultimately, it comes down to price and service, and the decision is yours. Over the summer, I needed new brake calipers for my road bike. LBS quoted me prices in the 275 range for Dura Ace calipers, excel sports, colorado cycilst etc has them for 250 ... I found a pair new in the box for less than 200. grey market, i dont know. but the price was to good to pass up.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the internet age consumers can buy grey direct from other countries and don't even need to pay the markup of the grey marketeer. The country flavor of the month will vary depending on currency fluctuations, AU is probably going crazy with grey market now because of a very strong currency this year.

Manufacturers can't really keep up with the fluctuations but they can periodically alter their global pricing to realign prices in the different currencies. Grey market campy and shimano from the EU are pretty much dead in the USA now because they both changed their pricing a while back to more nearly equalize them and now the US$ decline is even starting to make it look attractive for the EU to get grey market from the US.

It's very unlikely the US will stop trying to maintain the illusion of prosperity by printing money and fudging the economic statisitcs so in a few years the US could be the third world country that everyone gets their stuff from.
Quote Reply
Re: grey market bike industry questions [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's very unlikely the US will stop trying to maintain the illusion of prosperity by printing money and fudging the economic statisitcs so in a few years the US could be the third world country that everyone gets their stuff from.
This must be true--I readit on the ernet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know of a source for a "grey market" Ultegra kit?
Quote Reply