Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

gre ain't so tough
Quote | Reply
just took the exam that will determine how good of a grad school i go to. i believe that i did very well ... not exceptionally, but definitely up there.

on the walk back from the library, i thought to myself how triathlon helped me (so yes, this is almost on-topic)... long mindless hours on the trainer, miles of lactic acid in the pool, tempo runs where i hurt too bad to keep going but had too much desire to not stop.

after that, a stupid test doesn't seem so intimidating. and having an unintimidated mindset may be what gave me the edge over a nervous kid who is otherwise as qualified as me.

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Re: gre ain't so tough [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job. I didn't think the GRE was that hard either. I got a good enough score to get in everywhere I applied on the first try, if that encourages you. My g/f took it twice and she got a much better score the second time around and got in everywhere she wanted so I'm sure you did fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long where you out of school before taking the GRE??? I will have been out of college almost 12 years and am considering taking the GRE to get into a graduate program.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: gre ain't so tough [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am actually in the midst of my 7th semester. so, i'm a 21 year old college senior.

honestly, i think that having been out of college will give you an advantage. on the one hand, i've been taking classes that (allegedly) teach me problem solving skills along with my biomedical engineering blahblahblah. however, i also think that the advanced math that i've been using for years hurts me, since the math in the gre is honestly stuff i learned in 9th grade.

buy a gre prep book. hell, buy two. go through their math review sessions in depth. start reading through vocab lists now. take dozens of practice tests - this is the most important part. that's the best advice i can give.

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitly share this setiment.

I did very well on my mcat this summer (96th %ile), and it was while i was training for Ironman. The long hours and sacrifices that i made for tri gave me the ability to put my mind to the long hours studying as well, and i think definitly helped me do as well as i did. :D

go tri!

p.s. congrats! that's awesome! good luck!

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply