Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
gplama - advice wanted....
Quote | Reply
Or anyone else knowledgeable about such things.

I am going to be getting my first PM, just sold a guitar to cover the cost. For various reasons, I'm going crank based. I'm looking at the Quarq Dzero DUB and the P2Max NG Eco.
Amazingly the Quarq works out to be less expensive than the P2Max, lighter, carbon cranks vs alu, and I think it looks a little better.

Is there any reason to NOT get the quarq? Or is there a reasonable alternative. I currently have an octalink BB, so no matter what I get it will mean changing out the crankset, so something like Stages or 4iiii really won't work out to be any less expensive in the end for me.

And why the hell is it that every time I read the word "quarq" I do it in GPLama's voice?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 29, 20 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is there any reason to NOT get the quarq?

no
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Is there any reason to NOT get the quarq?

No.
Quarq / P2M are the most likely fit-and-forget proof PMs out there.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issues with DUB BB's or anything like that? I know that some GXP BB's were pretty creaky & squeaky.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That has more to do with the type of BB shell your bike has and BB it requires than the crank you will be running. GXP with a threaded BB has never had too many issues that I've ever heard about, which is what I assume your bike will require since it's old (referencing the octalink).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
And why the hell is it that every time I read the word "quarq" I do it in GPLama's voice?

Same here. Every time! ;)

No reason not to go this route. As posted above the only concern is around the BB durability.... the one I have in the TCR seems ok... for now. I'd go the DFour next time so I can use Shimano rings that shift like a dream with Di2.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

No reason not to go this route. As posted above the only concern is around the BB durability.... the one I have in the TCR seems ok... for now. I'd go the DFour next time so I can use Shimano rings that shift like a dream with Di2.

Thanks, appreciate it!

I’m going the 5 arm 130bcd route because I’m cheap and my FSA rings shift fine. The 4-arm shimano rings would add around $350-400 to the cost if I went for the latest dura ace, or $200 or so for ultegra.

If I ever get a new bike I’ll certainly go with DFour.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
gplama wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Thanks, appreciate it!

I’m going the 5 arm 130bcd route because I’m cheap and my FSA rings shift fine. The 4-arm shimano rings would add around $350-400 to the cost if I went for the latest dura ace, or $200 or so for ultegra.

I have the DFour and really like it. I would say get the DFour now with some Ultegra rings and then when the day comes and you get the new bike you won't have to buy a new powermeter, you just switch over the DFour.
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
gplama wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Thanks, appreciate it!

I have the DFour and really like it. I would say get the DFour now with some Ultegra rings and then when the day comes and you get the new bike you won't have to buy a new powermeter, you just switch over the DFour.

of course, you won't have to get a new PM with a new bike, the PM the OP is considering will work fine on any bike.

Shimano rings are simply going from 97% perfect to 99.9% perfect as compared to other ring options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotor crankset with InSpider power meter?
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Rotor crankset with InSpider power meter?

more $$$

the Quarq, with spider, crankarms, and BB (no rings) is USD$630. I haven't found a Rotor at that price.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of bike are you putting the power meter on?
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

a road bike with a BSA thread BB. I have no desire to go with shorter cranks than 170mm, if that's where you are headed with that question.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 29, 20 9:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running Quarq on my old P3C and was a bit fed up having to use GXP, as it seems to me like they make their BBs out of soft cheese. So I swapped it out for a Hope BB, stainless steel bearings, with the little shim adaptor ring for the non-drive side. Has worked flawlessly for 6 years so far, and it is RED which is FAST.

Cheers,
R
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, that is exactly where I was going.

If you were going to be working on a TT bike, you would probably want shorter cranks, which Rotor specializes in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

a road bike with a BSA thread BB. I have no desire to go with shorter cranks than 170mm, if that's where you are headed with that question.

Just throwing this out there, P2max North America are throwing in free cranks on some models of their NGEcos. Here is a Ngeco with what I think is a slightly down-specced Aldhu, 24mm spindle. You can choose 110, 130, and 4-bolt Shimano BCD. You can also elect to buy Praxis chainrings with the PM for $99 - I assume those are 110 BCD 5 bolt rings only, but you get the same chainring options on all the spider options. You can use a standard Shimano Hollowtech BB with that crank.

Anyway, considering just the PM, I am also at equipoise between P2max and Quarq, if we hold costs the same. My add on question is: do people have any opinions of SRAM's own DUB BBs? Due to a warranty situation, I have a Quarq DFour DUB, plus BB.

If you all want to know, I bought a BB30 Quarq with alloy arms from Competitive Cyclist. I dropped the chain. It got caught between the chainrings and the frame. In what the Quarq person described as a freak accident, the chain killed one of the strain gauges. They said this was a warranty situation, and they had no BB30 Quarqs left, so they threw in a new Quarq DFour DUB, the nice carbon arms, and a BB. It does stick in my craw a bit, because that thing is replacing a nearly new Chris King PF30. CK discontinued their PF30s because basically nobody bought them. There is no stock adapter kit for PF30 to DUB. I can use their T47 to DUB adapter, but because of the design of the BB and cranks, I would also have to buy a spindle spacer kit and stick 10mm of spacers on each side of the crank, which would look janky and which might creak. Standard PF30s sit flush with the BB shell, and the bearings are inside the BB shell. PF30 DUB BBs place the bearings outside of the shell, which is probably a better design...
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had about 5 different P2M over the years, only two bought new, and never had an issue with any of them, only sold them because of switching to different BB on new bikes.

I had a quarq that I had to replace twice due to drops outs and power spikes. Now each time I had issues Quarq customer service was great and replacements were shipped out quickly once my old quarq was received but it’s still down time and I’ve never had to contact P2M for anything because they just work. I replaced the 3rd quarq with a P2M over a year ago and as solid as the others I’ve had.

Seems most don’t have issues with Quarq but just thought I’d add my experience
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

My brand spanking new quarq arrived today, got it assembled and installed with no issues, checked the firmware (no update required) and did a half hour on Zwift to check things out. Other than forgetting to set the quarq as my cadence sensor, everything worked ridiculously easily.

The hardest part was trying to figure out where the spacers were supposed to go on the DUB BSA BB, which requires you to go to the website and find the right manual. Be nice if it shipped with the table, but really, a minor inconvenience.

I’ll do an FTP test tomorrow then into a training plan for the spring. Just found out that my regular pool is delaying their reopening due to a leak somewhere in the system. I haven’t swim seriously since beginning of March, so frustrating...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious - did your manual say 5nm and the bags with the T20 bolts say 4nm? What torque setting did you assemble with?
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I'm running Quarq on my old P3C and was a bit fed up having to use GXP, as it seems to me like they make their BBs out of soft cheese. So I swapped it out for a Hope BB, stainless steel bearings, with the little shim adaptor ring for the non-drive side. Has worked flawlessly for 6 years so far, and it is RED which is FAST.

Cheers,
R

Interesting. Where did you get the shim from?
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
knighty76 wrote:

Cheers,
R

Interesting. Where did you get the shim from?

Can get them in most UK online bike stores. Wiggle, for example;

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/...uvativ-gxp-converter

It doesn't work as a converter for Shimano HT II BBs, I don't think, because of the extra plasticky bits. Designed to work specifically with the Hope BB. Runs lovely on mine.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've got SRAM gxp on both the bikes I use the qarq on. But as you say need to replace the BB often.

Hmm, may need to try wiggle again after very unfortunate past experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [grabujosmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grabujosmi wrote:
Curious - did your manual say 5nm and the bags with the T20 bolts say 4nm? What torque setting did you assemble with?

What’s a torque setting?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Yeah, I've got SRAM gxp on both the bikes I use the qarq on. But as you say need to replace the BB often.

Hmm, may need to try wiggle again after very unfortunate past experiences.

Hi.
If your unfortunate past experiences included something like a couple of pairs of 3/4 bib short hat came to near £1500 leaving your bank account (but included some geezer in North London being gifted 2 brand new Dell laptops as a thank-you-for-your-custom 😖😖...🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬) then they do seem to have improved security a LOT in recent years.

I wouldn't touch them for years after that (several other mtb friends got hit too around the same time and Wiggle was the common denominator, though they of course denied that some inside whaaanker had robbed the card details). But went back to them a couple of years back and I'm confident they're a whole lot different now.
Quote Reply
Re: gplama - advice wanted.... [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are sources other than wiggle, at least here in the UK (which is what I can see).

Merlin, chainreaction (who are effectively wiggle now), sjscycles, winstanley etc. Also Amazon in the UK.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply

Prev Next