Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

good running shoe for inclement weather?
Quote | Reply
With the 100/100 looming and the potential for many a snowy/rainy/muddy run, and needing a shoe with some cushioning (biomechanically neutral), what is a good running shoe? (I am prepared and willing to trash my Gel Nimbus's, but if there is a decent trail shoe that would work dual duty, that is what I am looking for...)
Last edited by: ttram: Dec 3, 08 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: good running shoe for inclement weather? [ttram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
With the 100/100 looming and the potential for many a snowy/rainy/muddy run, and needing a shoe with some cushioning (biomechanically neutral), what is a good running shoe? (I am prepared and willing to trash my Gel Nimbus's, but if there is a decent trail shoe that would work dual duty, that is what I am looking for...)
There are lots of trail shoes out there with water resistant/proof uppers but you might also check out the Nike Pegasus GTX. It's the Pegasus with a Gore-Tex XCR upper. It's structurally pretty similar to your Nimbus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try ZombieRunner.com. They have a lot of styles and brands like InoV8 that are gortex for trails, road, or snow with the gusseted tounge. Even if you don't order there they have a wealth of knowledge. I love my InoV8 RocLites!! Feet stay warm and dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use these for bad weather:

http://www.rei.com/product/763463

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra Trail-Running Shoes

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: good running shoe for inclement weather? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Motion All Weather from Newton will serve you well.

http://www.newtonrunning.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for an answer to this question as well. I currently run in the Brooks Burn for all run distances but I find that they are a bit too cold for the winter and the cushioning is much less when it's really cold (for me < -5C). I'm considering the Newton but I'm unclear as to how one shoe can be appropriate for all runners, neutral, pronator, supiner, etc. I noticed that if I order them now there is free shipping within Canada. But it's still a pricey shoe at $175US, which for us canucks is now more than 200CDN when one includes the taxes. That's twice my current Brooks Burn. It's a gamble! I could try the Brooks Adreneline ASR ($140CDN) which is "water resistant", or I could get the Brooks Ghost and duct tape the uppers to keep my feet warm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics Gel Sensor.

The Asics Trabuco is fab but has stability, as with the NB 1110.
Quote Reply
Re: good running shoe for inclement weather? [shikepoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would stay away from the GoreTex (or similar) covered shoes; heavy, clumsy - and when water gets in (deep pond, heavy rain...) it never gets out.
I'm using normal ventilated shoes with Sealskinz or neoprene socks. Keeps the feet warm in all conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like shoes with perforated soles, like my type A. Nike makes a few, as does Adidas (if I recall). The water is going to get in. I just want it out. Wool socks make it tolerable in cold rain. Add a silk liner if needed. Maybe in REALLY cold wet weather, maybe I'd chose something else, but we don't have that here.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the best shoe i have found for those wet cold days....... wool socks+favorite running shoes. the socks keep your feet warm and dry and your favorite runners do the rest.
Quote Reply
Re: good running shoe for inclement weather? [twinracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the best shoe i have found for those wet cold days....... wool socks+favorite running shoes. the socks keep your feet warm and dry and your favorite runners do the rest.

x2

I just wear my Asics GT2130's year round here in PA. During the winter months, I just wear wool socks.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Re: good running shoe for inclement weather? [twinracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, good socks make quite a difference. If it's really cold, I'll put on a thin polypro liner sock or two, a thicker wool sock, and lace my shoes up less tight. Then, I wrap duct tape around the toe box area, and pull an old tube sock up over the shoe. It looks silly but is a cheap way to keep the feet warmer on those really cold mornings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an awesome time with Brooks cascadia
http://www.brooksrunning.com/...100461D&k=123204
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a pair of Nike Pegasus GTX for this reason and have run in them during inclement weather a few times. They are fine training road shoes.

On the plus side, they are perfect when you make a misstep and hit a semi-shallow puddle, which would soak your socks (particularly annoying at the beginning of a run) and they are good for lighter/medium rain or running on wet grass that would soak regular shoes. I haven't run in them in heavy rain, but have done medium rain for 2 hours and they were good until the end.

As posted, the downside is that they seem to hold water a bit more if you get soaked at the ankle level. A hard rain and I could see the water flowing down your legs would simply get into your shoes, and a deeper puddle, one that at least splashes your legs heavily, has the same effect with the splashed water flowing down your leg into the ankle opening of the shoe. I have not run in them for a long time when soaked, so I don't know how much water evactuation happens through the GTX. We all know that running in heavy rain will mean soaking wet shoes, so I am not so sure how much a difference it is with soggy GTX shoes.

Net:net - they seem to be a good thing to have for keeping your feet dry for "most" of the time, and I reccomend trying them. But like most anything other piece of gear you wear, you'll get wet in a hard rain, either from the inside or the outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Newton All WEather as Robert suggested, gussetted tongue and crazy warm....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to run rain or shine (or snow) every day. I never remember weather conditions that necessitated a special shoe. I do remember preferring those training shoes with a good waffle sole for traction on the snow but that's it.
Even at -30F I was fine in a pair of heavy socks in my standard training shoes.

One thing to note is that down below about 15F, Nike's air soles go flat as the air in the sole contracts. Under those conditions the surface I ran on was always hard packed snow which regained the lost cushion, so no problems.

The real inclement weather shoe is actually 2 pairs. You'll want to alternate the 2 pairs so you can always have a dry pair at the beginning of each run.
Quote Reply