Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

garmin recovery time?
Quote | Reply
after my race I didnt look at my watch to see how much recovery time I need (garmin). Is there anyway to get this data? sadly did a half marathon somehow in Z5 for most of it
Last edited by: synthetic: Mar 11, 18 13:22
Quote Reply
Re: garmin recovery time? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If u start a new activity then stop and save, it will show you the recovery time that is still left from your HM.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin recovery time? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm i did bike back from the race and did not look at that recovery either. third time is charm? would be nice if garmin connect told me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't put too much stock in those estimates.. I've never found them to be accurate or meaningful.
Last edited by: grassy: Mar 11, 18 15:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the recovery calculation is all that bad actually. It's based on heart rate and assuming you have the zones set correctly, it will be in the ballpark (imho). On the Edge devices - which may be similar to the watches or may not be - you touch the "settings" icon then "My Stats". It will show "Recovery Advisor", touch it and it will show the hours left for recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
after my race I didnt look at my watch to see how much recovery time I need (garmin). Is there anyway to get this data? sadly did a half marathon somehow in Z5 for most of it

My old Fenix 3 HR has an option in the main menu called "My Stats" that provides my current recovery time under a subfield called "Recovery Advisor."
Quote Reply
Re: garmin recovery time? [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 935 has it on the "training status" screen.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin recovery time? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you all... both doing the workout tracks the recovery time after repeated workouts (if you always use HRM), and the my stats area also indicated this. now what am I going to do for 64 hours?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At a coaches conference late last year - Justin Trolle - a respected coach said -"Why on earth, would you look at your watch, to tell you how much rest you need." His comment raised a lot of muffled laughs. Just my 2c.. :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: garmin recovery time? [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
At a coaches conference late last year - Justin Trolle - a respected coach said -"Why on earth, would you look at your watch, to tell you how much rest you need." His comment raised a lot of muffled laughs. Just my 2c.. :-)

agreed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it’s smarter to pay a Coach.
To tell you when to rest ?
My 2c
Quote Reply
Re: garmin recovery time? [Jere B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. It's smarter to listen to your body and use any information from the watch as an indication, not a prescription.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: garmin recovery time? [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally Agree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which watch?
For the 920XT you can go to the "My Stats" menu and "Recovery Advisor" for your current recovery time remaining.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin recovery time? [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
No. It's smarter to listen to your body and use any information from the watch as an indication, not a prescription.
Wow, I agree for a change ;)

I often take a look to see what training effort score or recovery time Garmin estimates, but it's just another piece of data among many, that influence my decisions. Garmin is using a simplified set of data and applying and algorithm that obviously must make a set of assumptions and uses other data like HR zones that depend on the accuracy of your inputs. Illness, tiredness, stress, and environmental factors are not really taken into account except as they influence the basic GPS/HR/power/ running dynamics telemetry. It's a rough estimate and shouldn't be attributed more relevance than it deserves.

That doesn't mean I need a coach!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
thank you all... both doing the workout tracks the recovery time after repeated workouts (if you always use HRM), and the my stats area also indicated this. now what am I going to do for 64 hours?

The recovery advisor is not telling you to do nothing for 64 hours. It's telling you you need 64 hours before doing another effort like what you just did, i.e. 13.1 in z5.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin recovery time? [Jere B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice try-- no it is smarter to listen to your own body to tell you when to rest -- just my 2C :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the below comments that the recovery recommendation is not really value added in most cases.

My Fenix 5x told me I was peaking when I took a few days off for a cold and felt horrible. It's all based on metrics from HR data. Good to know, but not words to live by.

Listen to your body. If you're tired for days on end. Take time off and rest.
Feeling good, stick with the plan.

It's biology, not rocket science. ;)

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
Nice try-- no it is smarter to listen to your own body to tell you when to rest -- just my 2C :-)

I primarily listen to my body, and use the experience of 20+ years of training for various sports.

I find it useful to look at the watch as well though. Usually it aligns with what my body is telling me, on the occasions it doesn't then it sometimes makes me re-evaluate how I'm feeling or at least approach a workout with a more cautious mindset and maybe be prepared to back off a bit.

Strangely I find my Edge 1000 and Fenix 5 to give quite different recovery estimates after the same ride. Zones seem to be set the same so I can only assume I've made a mistake somewhere or the algorithm is different. Edge over-estimates recovery - I regularly see recovery times over 24 hours, occasionally up to 72 hours for a long ride with lots of intensity. Fenix if anything under-estimates them - I have to really go some to get above 24 hours, the longest I've seen is 36 hours, and that was on a 200km ride on a hot day with hills and a fair bit of intensity, when I hadn't gone over 100km for about 18 months beforehand.
Quote Reply