Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

front race wheel: pre-built or pick the pieces...?
Quote | Reply
All of the choices for a front race wheel are really boggling. I've read through a bunch of past posts, read other reviews on the 'net, etc. and am still not really any closer to choosing the right one. So, I thought I'd post a couple of questions to make sure the information that I've gathered is accurate. Note that I am not in a position to spend a ton of money on some exotic setup. My price range is something in the Zipp 404 neighborhood. And, I'd like to stick with clinchers (I know, I know...)

First, hubs... I've read that the Hed hubs (such as those used for the current Hed3) are not as high quality as the Zipp hubs (such as those used for the current 404). Is that accurate for the front wheel/hub or is it more of a rear hub issue? If so, how does the Zipp hub stack up to other high quality hubs (such as Dura Ace, Record, Chris King, etc)?

Now, onto rims... I'd like something that is "fixable" (as opposed to a Hed3-type wheel). If I understand correctly, the Zipp 404 rims are. Are there other rims that are more aerodynamic but still able to be trued?

I guess my dilemma is really wether to go with something like a stock 404 front wheel or if I'd be better off just choosing parts and having the wheel built. Is there going to be a huge price difference by going with the package vs the pieces?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: front race wheel: pre-built or pick the pieces...? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a Hed Jet wheel? Price is better. Fixable/trueable. I had a Zipp 404 front and now have a Hed Jet 90 front. I can't tell the difference between the hubs. They both seem very nice. I can definitely tell I have the 90 on there though. It feels like there is something significant up there. Not heavy, but the wheel wants to go in a straight line. I like it. I feel like I'm getting a little something for my money because I can feel the difference from the training wheels.

Not much of answer, but I'm partial to the Jet wheels simply because they cost less than the competition for similar/same aerodynamics.

My unscientific 9.2 mile time trials indicate I gained roughly 30 seconds switching from a 30mm aluminum rim to the Jet 90. Good enough to move me from 4th to 1st in the TTs. I'll take it!

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: front race wheel: pre-built or pick the pieces...? [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, Justin.

I also got an off-line recommendation for the Flashpoint 60 for a less expensive option.

Anyone else care to add some wisdom?

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: front race wheel: pre-built or pick the pieces...? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp is noticably smoother to me when I'm spinning it in my hand, though who knows how that relates to on road feel.

I believe the Hed 3s aren't "fixable" because you would never need to fix them.

If I were getting Zipp I would go pre-built no doubt about it. If you're looking to save money, check out rebadged Zipps, can be had as low as $1100 with undimpled 404 rims.
Quote Reply