Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fort lauderdale
Quote | Reply
Travelling to Fort Lauderdale for the second time in the past two years and will be doing the Las Olas tri. Was a fun city tri and nice to be away from New England cold.. Once again will be there the next few days and wondering if there is anywhere my son and I can ride safely.. Last year I found Fort Lauderdale to be one of the most inhospitable places I have ever tried to ride.. Somewhere outside town?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: fort lauderdale [greyhair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Weston is a safe place to ride. It will be a 30 min drive if you're staying in Fort Lauderdale.
See here

greyhair wrote:
Travelling to Fort Lauderdale for the second time in the past two years and will be doing the Las Olas tri. Was a fun city tri and nice to be away from New England cold.. Once again will be there the next few days and wondering if there is anywhere my son and I can ride safely.. Last year I found Fort Lauderdale to be one of the most inhospitable places I have ever tried to ride.. Somewhere outside town?
Thanks

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: fort lauderdale [greyhair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A1A in Fort Lauderdale is bad all year, but when spring break starts, it is a death trap. If you don't mind a little bit of a ride, you can get out to Weston for some *relative* calm. There is a bike path that takes you out from Fort Lauderdale by Marina Mile out alongside 595 that will drop you off at Markham Park, tucked up against the everglades. From there, it's pretty calm, with regular bike traffic, so your presence isn't surprising anyone.
Fort Lauderdale down through Miami can be best described as "aggressive".
Quote Reply
Re: fort lauderdale [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jinx!
Quote Reply
Re: fort lauderdale [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really nice place to ride, I would like to thank you mate, I have been doing your loop every Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturdays...
Quote Reply
Re: fort lauderdale [greyhair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I travel to Fort Lauderdale fairly often, but never with my bike. I can say around parkland and the everglades there are some nice bike lanes around that area.

Team Zoot 2019
Quote Reply
Re: fort lauderdale [GS1977] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, maybe we'll meet up some day. I've been mostly riding the trainer for the past few weeks but I'll have to venture outside soon :)
GS1977 wrote:
Really nice place to ride, I would like to thank you mate, I have been doing your loop every Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturdays...

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: fort lauderdale [GS1977] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind the drive about an Hour / Hour and 1/2 away in Clewiston Fla. there is a dike road around lake Okeechobee. I think around 42 miles of it is paved (or 21 out and back don't quite remember) and closed to vehicle traffic. It is worth the trip to ride at least once. You will always see gators and cranes, egrets, all kind of wild animals. Might have to stop to let a gator cross or jump a snake. Pretty amazing place to ride.
Quote Reply
Re: fort lauderdale [greyhair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drive north about 15minutes to Boca Raton.
Park (free) just east of A1A onPalmetto park road.
Go north on A1A. (bike lane)

There are always people riding out there, beautiful scenery, nice bike lane and speed limit for cars are strictly enforced.
Quote Reply
Re: fort lauderdale [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds wild!
Will do it for sure, thanks for the tip
Let me know when you ready to go outside, as I don't have trainers, i have no option!
Quote Reply
Re: fort lauderdale [greyhair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a longish drive for not a lot of miles but if you head southwest to Everglades national park - Shark Valley Visitors center there is a 15 mile paved path . You’ll ride past several of our famous resident Florida alligators. It’s a fun thing to do.
Quote Reply
Re: fort lauderdale [dualsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dualsport wrote:
Drive north about 15minutes to Boca Raton.
Park (free) just east of A1A onPalmetto park road.
Go north on A1A. (bike lane)

There are always people riding out there, beautiful scenery, nice bike lane and speed limit for cars are strictly enforced.
I've done that ride, it is nice and relatively easy going.

Aren't there a lot of new bike paths in FL now? I seem to remember reading there are stretches of 45 miles +. Or is it the kind of path where you stop every mile for actual roads?

Would love to do the Okeechobee trail mentioned above. Went up and took a look last year, didn't have the bike though. Saw a fair number of riders.
Quote Reply
Re: fort lauderdale [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds great.. Ill check that out..
Quote Reply