Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fixed gear question
Quote | Reply
hey - when one hears people talk about using a fixie to improve pedaling action does this presume the rider is using clipless pedals? or can one get the same benefit (to the extent there is one) using old school clip pedals?

thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: fixed gear question [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same deal. Just make sure the straps are tight. On a true fixed gear, you'll want to be able to apply braking force all the way around when you need it most. Slop is not good.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently got a single speed and it came with old style pedals. It has 50-18 gearing and it is a brutal workout. i am a pretty current triathlete. I get on with the shoes already in the pedals, occasionally win my age group etc.. I think until you are real comfortable on the older rat trap style pedals it would be a good idea to stay away from the clip in style, I use Look. The constant motion of the cranks takes some getting used too. I would ride where there is no traffic for a while. It is fun though and it will put some hair on your chest. I thought the 50-18 would be a good combo but it is actually harder than I thought it would be as the cranks are shorter on single speed bikes so that they don't hit in the corners. I usually use 172.5's and these are 165's. Mine is an old Peugeot, it came without a brake but I added a front one. We have a velodrome here in Houston, I may take the brake off and give it a try. Also, if you buy an older bike like mine the crank threads on the old stronglight single speed cranks are different than modern ones, so you can keep the old pedals or retap the cranks for the new pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't matter either way. But if you don't have your feet tied to the pedals, you'd better have brakes (a good idea anyway).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: fixed gear question [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Doesn't matter either way. But if you don't have your feet tied to the pedals, you'd better have brakes (a good idea anyway).[/reply]

indeed...

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/8101.0.html
Quote Reply
Re: fixed gear question [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"We're fairly positive the deceased was operating under the influence of being an unbelievable dumbass."

great line.

guess i'll spring for a front brake!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ummmmmmmmmmmmm, i will certainly stand corrected if wrong - but you know, i am reasonably sure that fixed gear bicycles ( and the benefits derived from them) actually DO predate clipless pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: fixed gear question [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who are you, SAC's little helper? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once saw a Cat 1 rider use duct tape to tape his shoe to his pedal for an olypic sprint at the velodrome. Seriously. (His look cleat had worn to the point where he'd pop out.)

You could try that :P

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always had a hell of a time tightening/loosening the strap while rolling, so I much prefer clipless pedals.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: fixed gear question [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old school trackies often had a finger tip or two missing because of this. They'd saw them off on the ring tightening the toe straps.

How fun!

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply