Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

first road / tri bike
Quote | Reply
Hi - I'm brand spanking new to this forum. I've done a grand total of 2 sprint triathlons so far, with aspirations to go long - possibly ironman within 12 months. I have ultra-distance running experience, so feel like I have the fitness base. Just need to build up those "other 2" disciplines.

So I have a million questions, but the most pertinent at this moment is what bike do I buy? I have never owned a road bike of any kind. I have been an avid mountainbiker at times, and my sprint tris were done on moutain bike slicks. I've been shopping around the last couple of days, checking out Ebay. I would like to pick up a good bike for around $1000. Used is okay. It looks like, with a little patience, that is do-able.

I've seen a lot of references to "making sure it fits." This is not easy for me, as I live in Hong Kong. I am not aware of a single bike shop that fits bikes, or allows test rides here. I'm making some assumptions about fit based on what I'm reading. I am 6'1" with a 34 3/4 inseam (to the floor). From my reading, I figure I need a 58-59cm frame. Can I be relatively sure that if I buy a 58-59cm frame, that I'll be able to modify it in some way (stem, seatpost, etc.) so that it will fit me?

In my searching at Ebay, I've come accross a few 1-4 year old bikes that look pretty good:
  1. 2003 Felt S22 (currently $860) - stock set up (mostly Ultegra), but seem to have replaced bar-end shifters with standard road bike STI. A little wierd?
  2. 2001 Cannondale 600 ($1000 buy it now) - Rolf Vector wheels, full Ultegra, triathlon seat...
  3. 2005 Motobecane Nemesis ($747 buy it now) -

Shimano Dura Ace 7800 Rear Derailleur / Dura-Ace SL-BS77 SIS Shifters 18 Speed / Shimano 105 Front derailleur, TruVativ Elita ISIS 55/42T Crankset / FSA ISIS Sealed Cartridge BB / FSA Integrated Threadless 1 1/8 Headset, Easton/Velomax Vista Precision Handbuilt AeroSection 700c Wheelset with Precision Bearing Hubs, Shimano HG-50 12-23T 9 Speed / Continental UltraSport 700x23c tires, Tektro RX40 Brakeset with 4.0 levers, Syntace C2 Clip Aero Bar System, Ritchey Comp Stem and Seatpost.

So the Motobecane intrigues me. For $787 including shipping to my home in the US I can have a partially Dura-Ace equipped Tri bike? What's the catch? I'm not familiar with all of the components (Tektro brakes??). Are the wheels half-decent? If it's 2005, why are the shifters 9 speed? Are they old? Does it make any difference.

In comparing the frame geometry of the S22 and Nemesis, they are nearly identical. For a 58cm size, both have 58 cm top tube, 76 seat tube angle, etc, etc. The only difference I saw (in measuremnt) was standover height (13mm less for the Felt). Not sure how that's possible.

Gotta admit, I'm tempted to just click away and buy the Nemesis. Does anyone have anything bad to say about the bike/components? Does anyone know anybody who's actually bought this bike? I'd like to hear some first-had experience (seems to be scarce). For entry-level, it doesn't seem like you can go wrong for $787. Thoughts?

cheers,

hillrunner
Quote Reply
Re: first road / tri bike [hillrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man the Motebecanes aren't the best frames around but if that component spec is true it might be worth it. I wouldn't doubt if the Dura-ace is a 2003 or older 9speed but hell, who cares. The Syntace bars, ritchey post and Vista wheels are a pretty nice setup. But the frame, well, from the frames I've seen they are crap. I've never ridden one so if someone else has one out there please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't think the Cannondale is such a hot buy but the Felt looks like a decent bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a bike shop nearby that specializes in fitting triathletes? You've probably read that a lot, but there's a lot of trial and error to buying a tri bike, especially your first tri bike. In the long run, you'll probably spend less money going to a bike shop that knows their stuff and they'll do a better job setting you up. However, just going to any bike shop isn't the solution either, since many don't know jack about our sport. If you are going to buy one over the net, I think Preowned bikes is worth checking out. They have some new QR's from 2001-2003 and are a subsidiary of the company that owns QR, Merlin, Litespeed, and Tomak. They carry a little more cred than some of the junk dealers you have to look out for on Ebay.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For instance, I think this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7149099798

is a better Ebay option than buying a Motobecane from the junk dealer who sells Fuji Alohas and Motobecane Nemesis'. I think it's the same store as Cycle Spectrum who is local here in Florida and they are a very dubious chain.
Quote Reply
Re: first road / tri bike [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think it's the same store as Cycle Spectrum who is local here in Florida and they are a very dubious chain
which is the same? Preowned Bikes? I think I heard that. And you're calling them dubious? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I've heard pretty good things about the Motobecane dealer on Ebay (SPRTYMAMA BIKE SHOP). Their feedback is nearly 100 percent. There was even a comment in this forum about a positive experience with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you good at being your own mechanic? That's important. I'd suggest going NEW if not. I think the Felt would be a good bike, and at that price, may be OK, depending upon the owner's forthrightness. I once sold a Guru Cron-alu for right at 1G on eBay...that guy got a DEAL. The deals are out there, you have to be patient, but, you also have to be savvy and quick. Good luck!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Preowned is legit. The one selling Fuji and Motobecane goes under several names throughout the South. In my area, they are call Cycle Spetrum or The Bike Shop and they don't even hire knowledgeable bike people to manage their stores. I asked one manager what he was doing before he started running that store and he told me he was a waiter :|

You can find some good deals on Ebay, though. You just have to be careful.
Last edited by: Bucky: Apr 13, 05 4:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]Their feedback is nearly 100 percent[/quote]

People who are inexperienced also often are very undemanding. I'm pretty sure the majority of buyers of his brands are also fairly undemanding of the quality of the product they are buying. If you've never ridden anything better than a Huffy, you won't know how nice a Colnago is.
Last edited by: Bucky: Apr 13, 05 4:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt S22: http://cgi.ebay.com/...3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Can somebody take a look at this setup and let me know if it's a good deal. At what price would you stop bidding? And the shifters. The bike came stock with bar-end shifters. Is it a little wierd to replace those?

thanks - Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend $500 more and get a Cervelo Dual

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/dual.shtml

Re: first road / tri bike [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought my first road bike from SPRTYMAMA off ebay 4 years ago. It was cheap, but I put over 10k miles on it with no problems and then turned around and sold if for 85% of what I paid for it new. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from her again if she had something I was looking for.

The Motobecane frame probably isn't the nicest thing around, but it's not going to fall apart on you. The component spec is quite good, and the value is hard to top.
Quote Reply
Re: first road / tri bike [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where can I get a Dual for $1300?

I just completed a more detaild costing of the motobecane:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...lapsed;guest=3294440
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/

Looks like $1500 for Ultegra 9

Re: first road / tri bike [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Motobecane Nemesis frame is the same exact frame as the Fuji Aloha. And the same exact build kit. And on e-bay at half the price of the MSRP of the Aloha. Anyone have any experience with the Aloha?

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: first road / tri bike [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you're on a budget, the aloha will get the job done. it's not the most durable frame (had a ding on the downtube on the one i started racing with), not much stiffness in the bottom bracket, and it does get harsh riding on bad pavement. i upgraded to a p2k a couple of years ago, and the ride quality is much better, though the motor sucks just the same.

for the budget conscious, the aloha wouldn't be a bad choice for shorter distances. however, it might be a better choice to up the ante and get a better bike, such as a dual, and not need to spend any money to upgrade for a while.
Quote Reply
Re: first road / tri bike [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See my firt post in this series for some background. If you were a novice to both road and tri bikes AND you had to buy a bike, sight unseen (obviously not an ideal situation), would you buy:

A) A 2004 Elite Magnus, tricked out with dura-ace, carbonX bars, tri-spoke wheels, etc. etc. for $1350 or

B) A 2005 Fuji Roubaix Pro with 105 (or similarly equipped bike) for roughly $800-900?

I realize these are apples and oranges. For argument's sake, say both have been properly sized. I'm stuck here. Any advice appreciated.
Quote Reply