Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

first ironman today - hard on the run
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

today was my first Ironman - http://northwesttriman.com/. Previous longest distance race has been penticton 2017 & 2018 (3km swim, 120km bike, 30 km run) I havent been racking up serious bike or swim training (or any swim training) but thought that if I took it easy on the bike I would at least have it not too bad on the run - in the end I endured a 4:01 marathon after a 5:47 bike - clearly nothing to write home about - but with a recent 3:14 marathon I was expecting a bit better that the run-walk that happened today. My strategy had been to ride at 70% of FTP, so this was 180W (nothing to write home about again). Strava shows that I nailed that exactly, but also shows weighted average power of 201W. I use a garmin edge 520 to show 30s power from my P1s. Final reult was 11:14:20. So my questions are:
  1. What (better than 30s power) would you recommend?
  2. If I managed a 'weighted average power' of 180W, how much slower might I be on the bike?
  3. If I managed a 'weighted average power' of 180W, how much better might I be on the run?

For 2&3 , I'm basically asking if less effort on the bike would have allowed sub-11 hours overall. Notice I didnt mention my awful swim time - if I spent a bit of effort here I probably coulf get there, but, I'm old, I dont train enough, I've got kids, usual excuses... Gentle feedback appreciated :-)
Last edited by: fatman: Jun 17, 18 15:34
Quote Reply
Re: first ironman today - hard on the run [fatman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rely heavily on my NP while riding as that takes into account any spiking that may occur during a race. I auto lap that every 5 miles. Do a search for a thread about what are people displaying while riding with power.

If you unknowingly overbiked your plan by 21 watts, that would probably be why your run wasn't what you had planned for.

Crunching the numbers in my head, I'm not sure cutting 15 minutes off today was doable by trading minutes from the bike to the run. Even if you gave up 10 more on the bike, I'm not sure with an open 3:14 PR, you would have been able to run a 3:35.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My preference is 3 sec average power and also an average power on the Garmin. That way I see spikes in power but also can see if I am at target average and if I am dropping away on the back end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although your high VI on the bike probably cost you on the run, I'd suggest it was by a max of about 15 mins, based on this table, which I think is generally considered to be a fairly good reflection: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...artinez%2520daniels;

Since you'll have biked a bit quicker than had you held a VI of closer to 1, overall it will have cost you less than those 15 mins. In other words, I don't think you could have gone sub 11 on that day. I reckon you gave up about 5 mins.

I liked to have 3 sec power on my head unit, and worked on keeping that fairly steady within the power targets set for that part of the course.

ETA - a 3:15 open Marathon suggests a vDot of around 49.
Last edited by: rmt: Jun 17, 18 18:44
Quote Reply