Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

energy drinks
Quote | Reply
hey,

just wanted to see if anyone drinks energy drinks for training and (gasp) racing? any favorites out there?

Lee Zohlman, Lead Coach/President
BodyZen Multi Sport Coaching
http://www.bodyzen.com
Quote Reply
Re: energy drinks [leezee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cytomax, Grape or Fruit Punch

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isostar, unavailable in the US (I have German relatives who ferry it over).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started using my custom blend from infinIT and have to say I'm very impressed so far. I've had GI issues in the past, so far everything is great with the infinIT mix. Also, I really like the idea of having one drink mix and not having to mess around with drink, bars, salt tabs, gu, etc... See the link at the bottom of the forum for their webpage.

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extran thirstquencher. One of the few that doesn't make me gag after half a bottle. Can't get any of them here, so I brought a dozen cartons when we move. Will stock up again when I'm back in the US later in the year.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
count me in to the infiniti club too. what could be better than designing your own drink to suit your taste, sweat rate, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use E-Load for training more than 1.5 hours (or 1 hour if it's hot out) and long races.

D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drink accelerade on rides longer than 2 or 3 hours, or when I'm doing bricks. Be sure to get the orange flavor. The lemon-lime flavor tastes like you poured water over a bowl of fruity pebbles, drained it, and put it in your bottle.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to still use Gatorade on regular training rides. If I am doing something more serious or races then I just recently started using Amino Vital.

My significant other swears by Accelerade Fruit Punch. He uses this stuff literally everyday when he is training. It is just too thick and not thrist quenching enough for my liking. He loves it though.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think pretty much everyone here on teh forum probably takes in energy drinks unless you're refering to red-bull type energy drinks.

Me, I'm a Hammer Nutrition guy, Perpetuem and HEED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isostar - 'fresh' flavor I think it's called. Use it all the time. I like the taste so that helps. I think they do a 'long energy' drink but have never tried it - might try it for longer bike rides.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: energy drinks [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the drinks suck IMO, when warm (eg. accelerade). If i take 2 bottle, i'll freeze the second one. By the time I am done with the first, the 2nd is cold and ready to drink.

I am a hammer guy. I mix the perpetuum fuel + a scoop of HEED to give a little "citrus" flavor

John Heiss
PhD Biochemistry, UCLA
Founder, Prolong Energy
http://www.prolongenergy.com
Quote Reply
Re: energy drinks [jkh2828] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe in hammer products, too. 2 hours or more I drink both perpetuum and heed. less than 2 hours, just heed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Hammer Nutritions products. HEED and PERPETUEM. I can't believe how many people use Gatoraid still. It might have carbs but they are form 100% sugar. Not my choice of energy.
Quote Reply
Carbo pro for IM [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the info folks. keep it coming. it sounds like hammer stuff is popular. anyone use carbo pro for IM????????????????

Lee Zohlman, Lead Coach/President
BodyZen Multi Sport Coaching
http://www.bodyzen.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my new favorite is Glutamine Select from bev international...it's an unknown to endurance athletes, but is excellent for not only energy during training, but also is an anticatabolic aid, and recovery drink. this stuff is like freaking magic!!!

i've never been so strong in all my life. I'm squatting with 45's on each side...never happened before now.
Quote Reply
Re: energy drinks [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work in a biochemistry lab - I buy the stuff bulk and make energy drinks myself. who needs a 20 pound container of maltodextrin? I have amino acids by the kilogram.

John Heiss
PhD Biochemistry, UCLA
Founder, Prolong Energy
http://www.prolongenergy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carbo pro for IM [leezee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone tried Ultima? I see this as a drink more for people who are trying to lose weight instead of trying to replenish. There is very few calories and I do not uderstand how someone uses this stuff during long distance and still replaces calories? If anyone uses it, let me know how you do it?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For training, anything over 2 hours I use Gatorade. Unless I am simulating race conditions, then I go with Carbo Pro/Cytomax mixture along with Carb Boom gels for the bike and Gatorade for the run.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Re: Carbo pro for IM [briantryintri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultima is good stuff, but is more of a hydration/electrolyte drink than an "energy" drink. The new flavors are great but make sure to up your gel or solid food intake if you're only taking Ultima. I've seen sales go up quite a bit since they now offer 50serving tubs instead of the single serv packs.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbo pro for IM [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured that you had to take in food/gels if you were taking that stuff. I am not a gel fan as they become pretty repulsive to me after about three! It looked like a good product but I saw it more as a daily product than a racing product. Living in Arizona, sometimes I am looking for something else to hydrate me besides water all of the time. Maybe Ultima will help in that regard. Thanks for the input!
Quote Reply
Re: Carbo pro for IM [briantryintri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ensure, Butter Pecan flavor.

great stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Carbo pro for IM [leezee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Lee ... most of my gang doing long course stuff are using Carbo Pro in some shape or form ... some mix with sports drink for extra calories, some (like myself) use it for about 80% of calories on the bike during IM/HIM - supplement w/ Thermo Lyte as needed ... i.e. - In the past for me, out of 2200-2400 attemped calories on the bike 2000 will be concentrated Carbo Pro.

Hope that helps ...

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: trifaster: Jan 19, 05 15:41
Quote Reply
Re: energy drinks [jkh2828] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow! you could make some super duper concoction on your own...I envy you!

if it were me I'd have a big witches brew going...lol

kc
Quote Reply