Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

electronic shifters and rain overnight in transition?
Quote | Reply
texas 70.3 is looking like rain all night before the race sunday morning, where more rain is expected.

i’m running di2 so electronics up front... from what i remember last year the rule was no bags or trash bags or anything over your bike at night. something about it can turn into a wind catch and potentially pull over bike racks, which seems valid and understandable.

anyone have experience leaving their bikes in transition overnight and having faulty electronics race morning after a rain?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Apr 5, 19 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: electronic shifters and rain overnight in transition? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt it’d be an issue there is a lot more crapped kicked up during a rainy tour stage, than it just sitting it transition. I’ve never heard of them having issues.
Quote Reply
Re: electronic shifters and rain overnight in transition? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will be fine. I've done it at an IM and also used di2 for CX nastiness and all sorts of wet weather road riding. Pro Tour teams ride in torrential rain frequently and this is never an issue.

If you are really worried why not wrap the bars individually in plastic wrap. That gets around the bag issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat (get it?). Athlete's guide says you can wrap your seat and handlebars. I'm going to use a small trash bag to wrap my handlebars, mainly because I don't want my grips to become soaked or have the tape unravel. I run mechanical though, so electronics aren't a concern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw a bike on the back of a car the other day with condoms on the extensions, presumably with a rubber band holding them on. I couldn’t tell if it was Di2 as the drive side was against the car, but my guess is no one would want to touch one to remove it. We use them in the military on the barrels of rifles/carbines to keep water out. Works great. Non-lubricated, of course.
Quote Reply
Re: electronic shifters and rain overnight in transition? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I'm in the same boat (get it?).

i see what you did there! lol

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sram red etap had multiple failures due to rain overnight at Kona. Didn't hear anything about DI2.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done one 70.3 and one 140.6 with overnight rain with no issues with di2.

Bags are okay as long as they are small like the ones for groceries. Just no big trash bags to make your bike a sail. If you do use it make sure you tape it or secure it in some way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said, it shouldn't be a problem. Last year I did Madison 70.3 and Louisville. In Madison it poured overnight and the morning of and in Louisville it was just a steady rain all night and morning. Even with the all day rain in Louisville it was fine. A few days before Madison I asked the guy at my LBS and he said these things are designed for pretty much all kinds of weather (within reason). I still put a bag over my box and removed it before transition closed. Didn't have any issues.

Everyone was doing it and they told us as long as it didn't completely cover your bike you were fine.
Quote Reply
Re: electronic shifters and rain overnight in transition? [trigirl2013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the replies... seems my worries will be “covered” with some bags.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had DI2 fail at a race once due to water in the junction box and ended up riding my 54 x 11 for the whole race so I would make sure that is covered over anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no experience with electronic shifting and rain, but man...if you can't trust your equipment to sit out overnight in the rain then why the heck did you buy it in the first place? What happens if it rains during the race? LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've pressure washed both DI2 and eTap at CX races without issue.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply