Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

dura ace vs ultegra
Quote | Reply
What really is the major difference between these components? If we were to compare a 9 speed dura ace vs an Ultegra system, can you really tell the difference when shifting? Are there other differences I am not aware of (being an ignoramus in this area). Could someone enlighten me please as to why it is beneficial to spend the extra money for the dura ace components? Especially as a slightly better than MOP athlete.

Thanks!

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: dura ace vs ultegra [TnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I don't think you can justify spending more on Dura ace over Ultegra, other than it is cooler to have the better shiney toys. I have Dura 10, Dura 9, and Ultegra 9 on different bikes and I can't tell a damn bit of difference in the shifting. The new Dura 10 have skinny STI grips on the hoods but both shift nice.
With that said there may be a hidden durability with the Dura, but at twice the price I don't think a five year old Dura shifter will work as well as a brand new Ultegra one. It really come down to how much disposable income you have and how much coolness factor you need. I have bought my last Shimano and will be going Campy Centaur level on my next ride. G
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: dura ace vs ultegra [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't notice much difference between durace and ultegra apart from the polish. It interests me that the price of the 9 speed durace has not dropped since the introduction of the 10 speed. The new 10 speed Ultegra is substantially cheaper than 9 speed durace, surely it has to be better with the new enhancements ?
Quote Reply
Re: dura ace vs ultegra [Everyone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses folks. This is what I suspected as well. It is good to hear some first hand experience though. I have always been happy with my Ultegra and didn't think it could be THAT much better.

Thanks again!

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming you mean STI, there is a slightly shorter but noticeable shift on the 9 sp dura-ace STI than on the ultegra. Other than that, I can't tell the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: dura ace vs ultegra [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it's fun to bag on Shimano and call Dure-Ace the rich-boy toy group (ok - maybe that's Campy Record). But when i moved from a DA-9 to a DA-10 bike I can tell you i found the shifting to be a lot different - crisper, faster, more direct and responsive.

I agree with the idea that putting Ultegra on your training bike, your cross bike, your winter bike... But if you have the option and can afford the difference using the DA 10 on a race bike will make a difference.

I have not used the DA-10 aero extension shifter so can't comment on that - but on the road bike I like the change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally the technology rolls down the line, todays 105 technology was probably Dura ace a few years ago, offcourse that might not mean the exact part but the basic technology is similar (todays 105 vs. Dura 5 years ago), building materials may change such as a nylon bushing instead of a ceramic bushing but the general operation (technology) would be the same. For the most part a ceramic bushing may slide a little smoother than a nylon bushing or bearings will operate smoother than a bushing. But the flip side is a bushing will have lower maintenance than bearings, or lets say ceramic bearings instead of steel bearings. Ceramic cost more, roll a little smoother and require generally less maintenance than steel bearings. Dura Ace may have the ceramic bearings, Ultegra the Steel bearings and 105 has a ceramic bushing and Sonra (sp) nylon bushing. Make sense?

Contrary to what some might say about buying older technology "that the bugs are worked out may not be true" when you are taking technology and trying to make it more affordable by decreasing the price of the raw materials you may or may not create a more durable product. Logic would say that you would but demand can cause a company to drop logic.

A 9sp dura ace groupo created in 2003 is lighter and probably has a little better (smoother) operation than a 9sp Ultegra groupo created in 2003. Yet I would think the new 10sp Ultegra group for 2005 will possibly be lighter and smoother operating than the 9sp Dura Ace created in 2003.
Last edited by: Stewart: Dec 1, 04 7:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice thought...

And that's pretty much my opinion too. If you have a 105 equiped bike, I would spend some extra bucks and get DA instead of Ultegra. But if you already have ultegra I would only upgrade some components as cranckset, shifters and, a little more optional, the derailleurs.

Anyway, you can't doubt that DA is a better groupset then Ultegra. The components are maybe a bit more resistence and sure are lighter too but is it worth the money??..

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Cidewar [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What exact difference will DA make on your race bike? Will you get up the hill faster, will you out sprint the Ultegra guy? I buy Dura Ace stuff cause I can afford it, and it is nice and shiney, but in my wildest dreams I don't think the DA "will make a difference" on my race bike. G
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Cidewar [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I went with Ultegra, like the rest of my bikes, still nothing but smoooooth. But I keep my sh*t clean.
I have Ultegra, GF has DA. When I do adjustments to both bikes, hers just seems soooo smooth. But I don't ride it, as it is too small. I just started to try to be better about keeping the drivetrain clean. Your post is another gentle push in that direction. So if I don't clean the GF's drivetrain, and keep mine slick, ours should both work about the same.
Last edited by: Monk: Dec 2, 04 15:04
Quote Reply
Re: Cidewar [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden both and found DA to be much smoother, if we are talking STI. if it's bar end shifters, don't bother, but IMO DA shifts way better, especially under pressure, both front and rear. I was sold, going up a climb in the wrong gear, standing with full pressure on the pedals and not thinking I shifted to an easier gear. Smooth as butter, no hesitation, no skip. I've done that on my ultegra and get big complaints from the drivetrain. If you have the option, get DA STI and Rear Derailluer, stick to Ultegra for everything else. Best bang for your buck.

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are D/A and Ultegra? Don't you mean Chorus vs. Record? OK, nevermind, don't want to start the component war thread.

It won't make any difference, but it looks sexy. Actually, I think the D/A crank/chainrings look goofy, but that's just me.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: dura ace vs ultegra [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]What are D/A and Ultegra? Don't you mean Chorus vs. Record? OK, nevermind, don't want to start the component war thread. [/reply]

Record is Chorus with more bling (carbon/ti) - no functional difference.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dura Ace will last longer, but you would have to put in a LOT of miles to see if that is true, as many of us upgrade to the latest and greatest before the usable life is gone from your groupset.

Ever since Dura Ace has been compatible with almost any index-matched Shimano shifter (meaning same speed), I have found no need to go higher than 105 for a front mech. I will run a Dura Ace rear until I finally get the Tiso rear mech ($250+ for lightweight, good machining- weighs significantly less than it's Shimano counterpart), then the thought has been to go with Campy stuff around the Tiso rear mech.

But I am unconvinced that 10 is the way to go. No, I did not resist 9 or even 8 speed, though I admit that I like 8 speed the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told:

Ultegra is the racer's gruppo...

Dura Ace is the Lawyer's gruppo...

It seems to hold true when you take into account $$

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply