Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

donut ride - fun times
Quote | Reply
Dount Ride

I did the donut ride this weekend in Toronto and since a number of people on this forum had provided me with information about it and asked about it I thought I’d send you a little “first impression” ride report.

First of all the ride meets on all weekends and holidays somewhere between 8:30 and 9:00am. I heard conflicting reports so showed up at 8:30 and we left at 9! The starting point is the Great Canadian Bagel shop at Laird & Egglinton in up-town Toronto and is called the Donut ride since the GCB used to be a donut shop.

Normally the ride is big and fast. This weekend wasn’t a huge exception. As I waited the normal group arrived and by 9am there were about 15 people at the GCB. As we rolled out of town the group picked up many other cyclist along the route including Olympians Michael and Dede Barry. It’s not often you get to go on a group ride with an Olympian so having them both along was an added bonus (plus it meant the pace was pretty damn high for the first half). We rolled out of town at a moderate pace and it was only after about 25km that the pace really picked up and the group splintered. There was a huge surge just south of King City (1st sprint I think) and that split the group in 3rds – 1/3 at the front, 1/3 chasing and the rest riding at their own pace in a slower moving pack. After the King City sprint the group re-formed and then split directions with 20km of hills for those who wanted extra riding (I took that option) and a straight shot to the bakery which serves as the ˝ way point for the rest. The hills were killer – all short, all fast and the group split a bit again. Some of us got spit off and made it back into the albeit smaller group (about 15 people) to ride back to the bakery. This ˝ way point made it about 60km.

From the bakery there are two ways back into down town Toronto one about 40km and the other about 60km. I stayed with the long pack the whole way and we rode a long way east then came back into town through Scarborough and ended up all the way down at Bloor before working back up to Egglinton. The whole ride took about 4:15 and was 120km. The first 25 and the last 20km are in and out of the subdivisions so are not at high speed – about 20-25 km/h but then anything out of town was higher paced.

As previously stated on this forum – this is a roadie group ride. There were zero aerobars on this ride and this time of year almost everyone was on their old beater roadie with fender and down-graded components. I was expecting to be ignored by most people on the ride and even though I sat in the main pack all day and talked to 3 different people a bit. I’m a bit a fault there as I didn’t make a point of approaching anyone, but it’s certainly not the most approachable group. However if you want a hard ride with lots of different options and you life in Toronto this is a good group ride. I’ve heard that there are a number of pretty serious triathletes that do the ride often, but do use their road bikes for it.

Personally I would recommend the ride to anyone who wants to get better at riding in a pack, who wants to do long miles on the weekend and who is comfortable talking to themselves for long periods of time. I think the trepidation shown by a few of my Toronto friends toward the ride in unfounded – you just need to be prepared to ride long (120+ km) and hard for about ˝ the time. In the summer the ride continues much longer with options of up to 180 – 200km I’m told some times.

For comparison sake - I did get gapped (i.e. dropped by about 200m) a couple times on the ride - but rode back into the front pack each time. I'm a strong cyclist, but certainly nothing special. I've riden between 5:25 & 5:35 for my last three IM splits.
Quote Reply
Re: donut ride - fun times [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What, no post-ride cougar hunting at the 'Deli?
Quote Reply
Re: donut ride - fun times [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unfortunately no couger-hunting on saturday afternoon!! it was a good idea at first but i suffered through a 40 minute run with my friend Chris instead. ouch - that was a bad choice.

thanks for the attempted hook-up on the swim team. i'll take you up on it next time i'm in town - my bags finally arrived at 12:30 on Friday - 23 hours after i landed in toronto. yea United!
Quote Reply
Re: donut ride - fun times [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm confused. I used to live in the Eglinton/Laird area and remember it as high density traffic even back then. Where do you guys ride in Toronto without having to deal with lots of cars?

IMO, if you want a good roadie ride in Ontario try Prince Edward County as a starter.
Quote Reply
Re: donut ride - fun times [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're correct, Laird and Eg is crowded.

The ride heads straight out of the city, Laird and Eg is simply the meeting point.

Funny coincidence -- I was in Mike Barry Sr.'s shop "Bicycle Speciaties" Saturday afternoon. Neat little place.
Last edited by: mfreeman72: Nov 28, 04 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Laird and Eglinton the ride goes slowly out of the city. Up Bayview past Sheppard, through some residential streets crossing Yonge and over to Bathurst. Then up to Hwy 7 where the accelerations start. Once the group arrives at Keele its full throttle past the hills across and down Dufferin. If the front few get caught by a light the ride slows and some chasers can catch up. If the front can make the light you better go or get dropped.

North of Major Mac but south of Hwy 9 there are many paved roads with very little traffic. The group is usually big enough leaving town to stop traffic. 60+ this time of year and over 100 in the summer. Much easier than trying to ride out of town solo.

There are couple of guys there who are so fast few people can hold their wheel. Many placed in the top 15 at the Canadian Nationals this year in either the road race or TT. And that's on a normal day, not even when our favorite US Post member (Barry) is on the ride.

Some of the top TT guys in the country are there but always on a road bike. There are a few bikes there with clip on bars and no one seems to mind.

I've never been lonely on the ride. Its usually a double pace line and there is always someone to talk to, other than when the pace is so high I can't speak. First time I went there were several people who jockeyed position to welcome me. Once they get to know you its a real community. One of the regulars passed away this summer and many of the riders went to the funeral.

If you are in the city its the best way to get 200k of tempo and intervals each weekend.

Sorry I missed the ride Saturday. Stayed up late fiddling with my rear caliper but didn't get it fixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in that area of the city( North Toronto) until 1991, and back then getting out of the city was not that bad. I am not sure how people do it now as things have changed dramatically in downtown Toronto and the suburban areas with respect to traffic. There are many stop lights and with shopping on both saturday and sunday now, modest to heavy traffic ALL the time - even early on a weekend morning.

People still do it - as the number on the ride would suggest.

I Feel lucky now to live north of the city and the times that I do get out to ride, in 5 minutes I can be out on the really nice roads in York Region and Southern Simcoe Counties.

That being said I have heard that the Donut ride is a great workout and a great ride.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: donut ride - fun times [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live very close to the area where this ride starts out, but a little further east. I usually ride north on either Warden or Leslie and it takes about 20 minutes to get to a point where the traffic lights aren't stopping you every few minutes. It sucks, but I love where I live so I put up with it.

D.
Quote Reply