Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

dismount mishap, be careful!
Quote | Reply
First, please excuse my typing, i'm doing the hunt and peck with one hand.

during a race this weekend, I had an accident on the bike. I'm posting so someone else may be able to benefit from my misfortune.

I was coming in to t2 and, as i always do, started to pull my feet out of shoes. I took my right foot out first and put it on my shoe. I did half a pedal stroke to bring my left foot within reach and POW! over the handlebars i went. Somehow, my right foot let my shoe slip and when i did my half pedal stroke, my right shoe went straight into the ground (in front of the pedal) and flipped me over.

I'm sure its happenned before, but I've never heard of this. In fact, if I had even thought this was that dangerous, I wouldn't have done it. I've used this technique in races and practice a hundred times with no hint of this being an issue.

Anyway, my left collar bone is broken in 3 places close to my shoulder. Luckily for me, there doesn't appear to be any shoulder damage, so no surgery. My hope at this point is that i can at least keep some fitness and get back to training to at least take part at IMC.

So the moral of the story, if you're going to use this technique, be damn sure you don't let your shoe slip from under your foot. It all happenned so fast, i had no control over the fall.

-David
Quote Reply
Re: dismount mishap, be careful! [kytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear it, hope you mend quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I understand about broken collar bones.

I have talked to many about the bike shoe process. I just told someone at the race Sat that I take the extra few seconds to put them on this I would be scared I would have something happen like just happened to you.

Take the time to rest and heal. (I did not which was dumb). You should be able to do a race at the end of the season if things heal well.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gosh what a freak accident. You must have stiff shoes. Hope you down time passes quickly and you are back at it soon.

Quote | Reply
Dude,

That's really unfortunate. Last year I got hit by a truck two months out of the Grand Columbian. Broke my collar bone as well (not as bad), so I kind of know what you're going through.

The absolute best piece of advice I can give you is:

put your bike on the trainer and ride EVERY DAY! You'll keep a lot of the fitness. Swimming will be painful for a while. Don't be afraid to test running/walking.

Hope this helps,

Jason

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a bummer! Hope you heal quickly.

I have seen this happen once before, but at the beginning of the bike. It happened to a friend of mine...he was unhurt, but terribly embarrassed and mad at himself. Even worse, when he mismounted, the bike flipped and popped a tire upon landing! He had never changed a tubular tire before so he had to learn on the fly (somebody talked him through it, but didn't physically assist him, which I think is kosher per USAT rules).

I do the shoeless dismount as well, but selectively and with care. At some races, the area leading into T2 isn't well-suited for such tactics...as I learned the hard way last year.

At Whaletown, there is a big climb at the end of the bike up to the transition area. I got one foot out of my shoe at the top of the hill, but I was a little too close to the dismount line to get the other out in time so I had to kind of improvise on the spot (not recommended). I ended up spinning one shoe under my bike with a loud CLACK that made spectators gasp. I stayed on the bike but came close to having it end very badly.

Had I planned better and studied the T-area more closely, I would have either taken my feet out before the last hill or, especially since the distance from the dismount line to my rack was so short, just performed a normal dismount.

Now, that being said, I have to say that a "normal" dismount for me is now the shoes-stay-on-bike method, because that's the way I start and end every ride (for practice). For IMWI, I am a little concerned about mounting the bike the old-fashioned way, since I never do it that way anymore. As I get closer to the date, I'll have to re-learn the old way.

In any case, heal well, hope you make it back in time for IMC.

Best of luck,

mm
Quote Reply
Re: dismount mishap, be careful! [mullinsm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeoooowwww I went arse over tit on Saturday morning too in an equally freakish accident. I walked away with a few bumps and bruises and a smashed helmet. Guess I was lucky.

Its no fun seeing the road come up at you like that knowing that your bike is somewhere above your left shoulder.

get well.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update Dave! I hope you heal OK for Canada. I assume the TripleT is out, right?

For the record I HAVE DONE THE SAME THING! Did it last year at the HFP series championships up in Akron, OH. I don't usually do this since I'm mostly a long course guy, but I was pretty tight with a guy just ahead of me on the bike that I knew I could run down. Shoe hit something and BAM - happened pretty quick. Thankfully, nothing broke. I ran the 10K with bloody knees, elbows, etc. and did NOT catch my mark, but alas. Helmet cracked in two as well. Mostly some bruised ego too right in front of the crowds at the transition.

I was nervous when I saw your bike wasn't there when I came into T2. There were only a few bikes as I was cruising to, but I saw you at that last turnaround, so I knew you were in front of me. Bummer as you would have been top 10 overall for sure (I finished 7 or 8).

Re: dismount mishap, be careful! [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttt is out for this year, i was really looking forward to it. we're moving in 10 days, but i'll be back to OH next year for ttt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the painfully learned lesson. I hope you heal quickly.

As for me, I recently got a pair of Shimano TR02 (?) carbon soled tri shoes. Finally, with these one strap velcro closure shoes I could do the leave the shoes on the bike business. I tried it out for a haf IM a couple of weeks ago, but opted to just do the finishing trick of removing the feet before the dismount. However, I found out that riding a 650 cc wheeled bike with a 48 cm frame does not leave enough room for the shoes to clear the ground. Several times, when running back into T2, the shoes nosed into the ground, kicking the bike up into the air. The shoes took a beating. I had not heard of your type of accident before, but given my one time experience and your report, I think the "leave the shoes clipped in" experience is over for me.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply