Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

different wheel shapes for different forks
Quote | Reply
I wonder if the lack of a seat-tube makes a difference in which wheels are faster compared to seat-tubed frames. With no seat tube to act as fairing, will a disc be more important to have on a seat-tubeless bike?

Also, I wonder if some forks are better with tri-spoked front wheels or deep-rimmed wheels, perhaps related to the fork width, or shape. It seems the tri-spoked wheels would produce sort of a bow-wave effect in the air that could buffet the fork blades as they "whop" by them.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Good Point. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You bring up a good point. John Cobb has eluded to different wheel shapes and the effect it has on the fork. As far as tri-spokes go, Nimble has suggested their tri-spoke is more aero because it makes less of that wopping noise. (Less air disturbance or something.)

-The only thing worse than my equipment is when I pass you on it-
Quote Reply
Re: Good Point. [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is research that shows that on bikes like zipps and softrides, discs are the best choice of wheels. The airflow reforms before hitting the back wheel due to no seat tube. As for forks, I got nothing
gopha that is a great tag line btw

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Good Point. [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ze Gopha, that's one of the best signature lines out here!

It "seems" that a disc would be a better choice on a non-seat tube bike, doesn't it? Things aren't always what they seem, I've been fooled before, not only by positioning variations (I "feel" more powerful in a slam position, but I am never faster in it, especially when followed by a run), but by wheels.

I tried a nimble rear wheel. I can tell you without a doubt, it was slower than a Mavic Open Pro 32 regular spoked wheel when ridden on a Giant TCR 1 by me. They even graciously sent me a different hub to try, and it didn't help. I don't know what was wrong with my particular set-up, but it was slower. I did all kinds of tests, out-and back time trials at a certain heartrate (but, there are so many variables with that kind of testing), however, the one test that was easiest to do was a coasting test with two different workout partners. I coast downhill faster than them, probably because I'm heavier. With that particular nimble wheel on this particular bike, they ALWAYS out-coasted me. They both asked if my brake shoes were be rubbing. They weren't. The nimble is light and appears to be very well made. Maybe it climbs great or accelerates great, I just couldn't demonstrate that. With my Hed 3-spoke front, or rear, or rear disc, or any combination, the cheapskate's coasting test has me much faster than my training partners. If the nimble is more aero, I don't know what was wrong, but, maybe it has to do with particular wheels on particular bike-rider setups.

I'd love to find someone nearby with a Hed ALPs or a zipp front wheel that I could coast-test against my H-3 front wheel with my Ouzo Pro Aero fork. Maybe there would be a difference, maybe not. One of the reasons I run the H-3 is it is almost bomb-proof, so there would have to be a noticeable difference to make me choose another front wheel. I guess the rear disc is a no-brainer, unless there are high winds...I'd still run an H-3 rear in that case...seems like a waste of money to have an H-3 rear sitting around, though.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply