Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cycling test data & protocols
Quote | Reply
OK after two really light training months, I'm fired up and ready to start some serious training again - I did a Conconi test on the CT (sorry no power tap) with 1 min intervals. I know this test can be flawed, but it's convenient and free. My max is ~195 and I did not see any point in going further than the high 170s. Are there any conclusions that can be drawn from this data (watts on left and HR on the right)? The jump at 180 to 200 watts seems interesting and I am not sure if it would be considered an approximation of LT or maybe 1st ventilatory threshold. I was told trained athletes have a 1st and 2nd ventilatory threshold.

100 114
120 118
140 125
160 130
180 136
200 147
220 153
240 156
260 159
280 162
300 166
320 170
340 174

I've also got couple questions about the protocol - should I be using the descending steps in time and if so why descending steps in time vs. even intervals? I've heard conflicting info from different local coaches.

When graphing this, what would you use as a minimum HR on the Y axis? I'd like to keep things consistent throughout the year to measure performance and make any changes to the protocol, if any, now. I really dont want to go pay 150 each month for a test in a lab. Any other suggestions for future tests? Thx.
Quote Reply
Re: cycling test data & protocols [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're really into power training on the CT and benchmark testing, etc, I'd look into getting coaching from Michael McCormack or Rick Strauss. They are both very into that kind of stuff. Or maybe you can find some articles they have written on their websites. See: http://www.triathloncoach.com/ for M2 or the Training Peaks website for Rick Strauss.
Quote Reply