Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

critique my website
Quote | Reply
but do it gently. Constructive feedback is appreciated. I know the email links are not working yet.

www.accelerate3.com

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: critique my website [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it. Graphically, very very good. Nice design. Fast too- no stupid Java script pooh-pooh. Well done.

More photos please. People love photos.

Oh, I am told black background websites are too spooky. That is why ours is nice pretty white and blue.

Very good though. Copy is well written too.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool site - I like the graphics. The font on the front page is kind of hard to read and the copy font on your other pages is a bit small. The content is succinct and easy to follow. Good luck with the biz!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto Tom's comments...Simple and to the point... and, more photos would be best... what makes the internet different from other forms of media is it's visual appeal. Pics are a crucial aspect of that concept...

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my laptop the site looks a little 'fuzzy', images are not that clean but navigation was ok.

The layout does not properly display in Firefox or Netscape 7, little misalignments and layout moves around. Maybe to many images used for alignment and it does not render 100% all the time.
Too many images used for me, you could use proper styling and text to achieve the same results.

From a web application programmers point - its a T model or worse a horse and buggy!
Its static, no dynamic content and or the ability to post dynamic content. There is now where on the site for athletes to login and review programs, training logs, athlete/coach discussions or post forum style questions to the coaches. The information does not show any relevance to when it was posted, there is nothing on the site that shows any things like camps, group training etc etc.

The contact form opens in a new window, not great, and does not work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OOh.. everyone loves the graphics. They use a lot of bandwidth though:
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/wso.php

More HTML, less photoshop will go a long way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it looks like some images just below the nav bar are not aligned right. The ones with the thin red line. using MS IE.

John Heiss
PhD Biochemistry, UCLA
Founder, Prolong Energy
http://www.prolongenergy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything worked great with Mozilla Firefox 1.0 on the 1.5Mbps broadband. Lightening fast loads, perfect alignment. Keep the black.

I swear I've been passed by that Spencer guy in a race a few years ago. Has he ever raced in the Northwest?

When I'm done with school, I might sign up.

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contrary to previously expressed opinions, I think the copy is pretty bad.

Right off the bat, bad copy on the 1st page. "...all levels of athletes from beginners to elite level athletes..." Yikes.

Next page...

OK, there's this on your "about Us" page; "a peak fitness" needs to read either "a peak OF fitness" or "peak fitness."

Onward...

Trifecta - all three pages I looked at have basic grammatical/stylistic problems; It isn't possible for a goal to have needs, and please, never say please more than once in the same sentence, please?

I will stop now - you really need to have the entire site copy edited professionally, or at least well. Bear in mind that I think the copy on 99% of the sites out there is at least as bad as this - but I won't read them, either.

I wouldn't have let any of this past my desk when I was copy-editing, and I would have a hard time hiring someone who sent this to me as a resume - and that is exactly what this is, for your company.

Sorry if this was too harsh, but I wrote it with love...

PS - I just read further on the site -Yikes. Seriously, there are even more flagrant basic grammar problems in your program descriptions. You really, really need to re-write, or at least edit, everything.

Full disclosure: E-grammar is a pet peeve. It bugs the crap out of me that so much of what I read on the net wouldn't pass muster in a HS term paper. You can do better!

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Last edited by: fredly: Jan 26, 05 22:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the overall of the site.

I don't find it as smooth as it could be if you used a top frame for the menu and a downframe for the text.

I would change one thing for sure. The red on the background. I find it quite uhm... kinky.. but maybe that's just me. I would put it in black and as the "main frame" has white borders, it wouldn't be necessary to change anything else.

Anyway, simple and objective.. nice work :)

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically I like it. Not overly complicated, but doesn't need to be. Might be a bit copy-heavy in places - I would pare it down to the bare minimum; people tend to skim that anyway. I love the photo of the swim start. I think that captures the essence of tri swim start chaos.
Quote Reply
Re: critique my website [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like its feel.
Needs some fine tuning-text, more pics that are hopefully on the unique side.
Try a Fisheye lens w/ fill in flash..example: Have a friend shoot each one of you from a moving car while you're out on the bike, or run w/ this camera /lens combo..It makes for outstanding pics w/ drama.
Impressive backgrounds on all 3 of you.
Good Luck!

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
all meant with love...

on the homepage, the red is harsh (red=anger) and the black is a little, well dark.

agree with the above poster when he said more pictures.

how about testimonials and articles. the latter will keep people there for a little while at least.

overall, good. it's still missing that something that will make the potential client think that to get better, they have to work with you.
Quote Reply
Re: critique my website [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree with the red...kind of aggressive.
Quote Reply
Re: critique my website [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would love to hate my company's website. I work for a large company in the recreation industry - I don't want to give it out 'cause.. well, I'd be scared of retaliation of some sort. Anyway, after the tsunami disaster, a letter from the CEO appeared. I know he didn't write it as he is one of the most articulate people I've met. The copy included, "... in light of the wave of Tsunami's... areas effected..." It's been cleaned up a bit since, but the one that floors me, wave of tsunamis, is still there. That's just so poor.

The rest of the website is riddled with typo and grammatical errors. We also publish a lot of materials and have a copy edit policy. It just has not been extened to review website copy. I've heard the reason is, the manager of web services believes having slight errors shows we're human and approachable rather than a corporate entity. What a crock!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: critique my website [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reminds me of the Singapore publicity campaign a while ago...

"Singapore, we'll take your breath away"...it came out just when SARS broke out...talk about poor choice of words.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude,

Klep is right on the money, especially about the red.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian -

If your only goal is to point people to your website, it's a darn good site. I like the graphics, branding and overall messaging. I don't nitpick copy b/c that is easily changed...but personally I would have recommended text over images for quicker changes. People do not continously come back to static sites. Perhaps adding a "tip of the month" or a newsletter would provide more benefit to non-customers. In addition, having a password protected extranet would allow your client to view their daily logs, workouts, etc.

If your goal is to generate traffic and web business, it's as poor as one could get. The designer did not use ANY of the proper tools to place keyworks, text, labels, headers, etc to give you any sort of prescene on any search engine. How are people going to find you? Check google right now for "brian stover accelerate 3" or "accelerate 3" or "accelerate3" or "triathlon coaching". You are not even on the 100th page of the results! ;o) Once again, it depends on your business goals and your market. If you want traffic, the site needs a massive overhaul to accomodate keywords. If you need some help in this department...let me know.

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple things I would add/change besides any and all grammatical errors.

Coaches bios - I'd play up the racing resumes a bit more. You and I may know that a good race result doesn't mean you are a good coach but a lot of people looking for coaches think it matters.

Athlete results same sort of thing. Names, give me names. List those races out and give me years and maybe times if they look good. For instance "Athletes have won several Multisport events" Which athletes and which events?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of this comes from Seth Godin, author of many books on permission marketing. I was lucky enough to take a class of his at NYU a couple of years ago.

What do you want from the site?

If I am to assume the answer is, "I want people to sign up for coaching" then you need to have something on the main page that captures their email address (ie sign up for a free weekly newsletter etc.). So that if they don't sign up today, you can always try again tomorrow.

Also, Godin says to test often. Change the layout and track how many people sign up for the newsletter or read the other pages. Obviously keep the design that has the best results.

Finanlly, limit the bells and whistles if it is at the expense of speed. People don't want to wait around for things to load.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool site, I dont think Id change anything but I guess Im not as critical as some of the other folks. Does Spencer still live in the Indianapolis area? He and I go at each other pretty heavily during a Duathlon, hes a strong cyclist! I didnt see him at many late season races last year so I just assumed he moved.
Quote Reply
Re: critique my website [Duman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spencer has moved to Tucson. his wife took a job there. He has lots of family in the area.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions/comments. I've started work on the next revision and an athlete password protected section is in the works. More comments are welcome

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 27, 05 14:03
Quote Reply