Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
crap in the pool
Quote | Reply
  Showed up at my local pool to swim some laps and saw the swim lanes closed. The lifeguard said they had to fish out some fecal matter. I pressed for details: how big, solid or not, how long ago, what treatment was done..... Life guard advised it was solid-ish, size of a thumb, occurred 20 minutes ago, they treated it by adding extra chlorine and would reopen the swim lanes 30 minutes after the chlorine was added. I could not bring myself to swim laps and headed home- will make up the swim tomorrow. Figured overnight should be enough time for the water to turn over in the pool.

How long after a crap is fished out of the pool before you'd get in? Is chlorine going to solve the issue in 30 minutes ?
Last edited by: Double-Double: May 4, 18 19:32
Quote Reply
Re: crap in the pool [Double-Double] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mu pool would close for 4 hrs in that instance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep swimming. Chlorine in the pool, right? That's what it is there for. 'Extra' treatment is for show, not for go. Carry on. Wait, maybe it was just a Baby Ruth mini...
Quote Reply
Re: crap in the pool [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep stroking. I hate it when the pool gets "decontaminated" for a solid turd. I just remind myself of all those wet butt cracks, farts, whatever. Helps me. Maybe it doesn't help you. Diarrhea spreading like an oil slick? Okay, that needs to be unseen before entering the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally Chlorinated water kills E. Coli and other bacteria in a matter of minutes. It is safe to swim in as long as the pool's chemicals are alright. adding chemicals are generally for show since the chlorine is already in excess. The pool I worked at on the other hand passed a health and safety test with almost 0 chlorine in the water..... that is what you have to worry about.

3 years experience as a lifeguard at a medium sized pool. Generally my pool closes for 4-8 hours depending on the severity of the situation.
Funny story, last year some Geese flew overhead as we were opening and dropped a massive load of bird crap in the pool. The local church camp shows up and tries to swim in it. We closed for 4 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a test done of public pools in some states of the US and it was found on avg there is as much as 8 gallons of urine in a large size pool.
Swim on🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Re: crap in the pool [toddstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toddstr wrote:
Keep stroking. I hate it when the pool gets "decontaminated" for a solid turd. I just remind myself of all those wet butt cracks, farts, whatever. Helps me. Maybe it doesn't help you. Diarrhea spreading like an oil slick? Okay, that needs to be unseen before entering the pool.

+10, i wouldn't get out for a floating turd in the pool if they did not make me. In fact, once or twice i've seen turds and did not report it, and hence was able to finish my workout with no interruption. Think of it this way: most open water swims will go through at least some turd residue but generally very few people end up getting sick. You have to actually swallow some moderately contaminated water to get sick, and even then, generally only a small proportion of drinkers will get sick. Only relatively pristine lakes (and virtually no ocean waters), with zero human sewage discharge and zero animal waste runoff, are going to be without turds. That's just the way it is. That said, don't go using untreated lake water as your drinking water source; you could boil it and you'd prob be OK but even then your basic tap water is still cleaner than boiled lake water.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when I was a lifeguard... poo in the pool and it is closed. Super chlorinated that night and reopened the next day.
Last edited by: spntrxi: May 4, 18 20:57
Quote Reply
Re: crap in the pool [MrStealYoKOMs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work at a pool in Australia and we close for 20min with solids. What people don’t realise is that most pools would have some kind of contamination all the time especially if there’s baby’s in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: crap in the pool [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can absolutely assure you that adding chlorine is not for show. Greater and greater attention has been paid by local health departments to the threat of water-borne illness, and because of that, more stringent regulations have been passed.

I have a certification as AFO, Aquatic Facilty Operator. This is the most stringent licensure available, with the most thorough training available. Without a doubt, I know my shit. Without getting into the weeds about pool chemistry, the quick version is this: chlorine is the best sanitizer available. Period. Chlorine used in pools is either gas chlorine (100% content), calcium hypochlorite (65% content; granules, pellets, and pucks), or bleach (12%). Chlorine effectiveness is affected by factors like pH, water temp, sun exposure, residues of other chemicals, organic load in the water, and other variables. Health codes usually mandate that free chlorine residual meets the level of 2.0 ppm at a pH of below 7.4 for at least 30 minutes after the poop has been removed before reopening.

Even with ppm and pH levels met to code, there's stuff in shit, and especially in diarrhea, that is impervious to chlorine. Crypto and giardia are two agents that can't be killed by normal levels of chlorine. In the event of diarrhea, pools can only be reopened 24 hours after the stuff has been removed, but the chlorine residual must be 20ppm with a pH of no higher than 7.3 for a full 24 hours. If the levels aren't sustained, the clock starts again as soon as 20/7.3 are met. Then, the pool must be diluted of chlorine, since 20ppm would bleach hair and suits.

The only part that's "for show" is lifeguards or managers throwing something into the pool to make it "appear" that they're doing something. In fact, they should have set the auto chem feeders to start circulating immediately, because that's more effective than throwing stuff in the pool, if you think about it. The poop particles have circulated at the time the poop was pooped, when everyone got out, and when the guard used the strainer to remove it. It's vastly more efficient to circulate chlorine mechanically.

Most savvy managers will throw in a few scoops of baking soda near the site. It's about optics. Baking soda is used for pool chemistry anyway, so there's always some around. Baking soda is certainly much safer to throw in than granules of calcium hypochlorite, and cal hypo is hard to dissolve. But the real stuff is already in motion.

As for crap particles in people's cracks, farts, dingleberries, skid marks, etc, maybe you understand why there really should be enforcement of the soapy shower rule for anyone about to go swimming.

Don't hassle the guards or managers. They're trying to protect you.
Quote Reply
Re: crap in the pool [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A skydiver I know has the following bumpersticker on his car: "Life's a risk. Jump in."
Quote Reply
Re: crap in the pool [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude,

where were you on my 'how to keep a pool clean' thread.

Thank you.

I can now armed with knowledge to complain about the chemical bath that passes for my local pool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We call this a "code brown" at our pool. They usually close the pool for the day if it happens and they chlorinate the shit out of it over the night. Swim class season just started we had 2 "code browns" in 2 days last week :)

Double-Double wrote:
Showed up at my local pool to swim some laps and saw the swim lanes closed. The lifeguard said they had to fish out some fecal matter. I pressed for details: how big, solid or not, how long ago, what treatment was done..... Life guard advised it was solid-ish, size of a thumb, occurred 20 minutes ago, they treated it by adding extra chlorine and would reopen the swim lanes 30 minutes after the chlorine was added. I could not bring myself to swim laps and headed home- will make up the swim tomorrow. Figured overnight should be enough time for the water to turn over in the pool.

How long after a crap is fished out of the pool before you'd get in? Is chlorine going to solve the issue in 30 minutes ?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doody!.... It's no big deal....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to be a lifeguard.

When the children's pool was closed because a child crapped themselves (A frequent occurrence), it was technically good to go as soon as the
offending matter was fished out and water had filtered. We kept it closed for an additional 4 hours or so, as a precaution the Council put in place. We told customers we turned up the filters and pumped in some more chemicals, but we didn't usually need to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

If it's mine I keep swimming, otherwise
20-30 minites
Quote Reply
Re: crap in the pool [Kirch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a lifeguard all through high school and college, many of the guards were competitive swimmers and some of my best friends to this day. Not just local summer teams, these were D1 & D2 NCAA swimmers who swam on competitive year round clubs. It was a running joke among all of them about pissing in the pool. They all did it, every practice, and laughed about it unabashedly.

Kirch wrote:
There was a test done of public pools in some states of the US and it was found on avg there is as much as 8 gallons of urine in a large size pool.
Swim on🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊
Last edited by: crujones#33: May 5, 18 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I leave when this happens. Not because of the poo but because of the chemicals. They do 30 minutes and I itch for a few days and my eyes burn after (yes, I shower after)- so I give it a bye til the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen an accident live at my pool, literally coming out of the baby's trunks. The parent appeared to be shocked that such a thing could possibly happen.

I don't know why it's not enforced at my pool (and others) that babies wear a visible swim diaper. It's not perfect but still a better seal than commando under the swimsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: crap in the pool [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parts per million, your average river swim in a race probably has 100x more than the pool with a small turd in it.
Quote Reply
Re: crap in the pool [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I can absolutely assure you that adding chlorine is not for show. Greater and greater attention has been paid by local health departments to the threat of water-borne illness, and because of that, more stringent regulations have been passed.

I have a certification as AFO, Aquatic Facilty Operator. This is the most stringent licensure available, with the most thorough training available. Without a doubt, I know my shit.

I bet you do

And in thanks, I'll drop this South Park episode clip:

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: crap in the pool [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A river may have 100x more poo than a pool, but you won't convince a pool staff to let you swim in a pool with a little human turd just because you're accustomed to swimming through a ton of goose crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The average person in a non-bidet using household has ~0.15 grams of residual fecal matter on them at any given time that dissolves upon contact with water. Do the math.
Last edited by: ntc: May 6, 18 21:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DV8R wrote:
Parts per million, your average river swim in a race probably has 100x more than the pool with a small turd in it.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DV8R wrote:

:> the thirty other denizens are out of frame:

Quote Reply

Prev Next