Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

clinchers, tub, butted DT straight pull... What's it all mean?
Quote | Reply
I'm new to the sport and to the world of wheel terminology. My old road bike has wheels with rims, tires, and tobes inside the tires. When I get a flat, I just find the sharp object, remove it, and change the tube. I just found out that this isn't how all wheels work.

What's a clincher?

If a wheel is a glue-up, can it be changed to just put a tub inside and a tire around it?

Where is the air nozzle in the tri spoke? How do you put more air in the tires?

If I'm doing an ironman, what's the best wheel and tire to get? I figured on carrying 1 or 2 tubes, not complete tires with glue on them.

Any help would be really appreciated. I'm completely clueless about this stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: clinchers, tub, butted DT straight pull... What's it all mean? [trirookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A clincher is the type of wheel that you just described. It has a tube inside.

With a tubular wheel there is no inner tube and the tire is glued to the rim.

All the technical information about bicycle wheels you'll ever need is is on this site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
Quote Reply
Re: clinchers, tub, butted DT straight pull... What's it all mean? [trirookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clinchers are the type of tires that you have. They have the tube and the tire separate and the tire hooks onto the rim when you install it.

Tubulars are also salled sew-ups, because the tube is sewn-up (usually) inside a complete tire casing. This is then glued onto a rim and that rim is smooth, unlike a clincher rim.

Tubular-clinchers are another type of tire made by Tufo which are like tubulars with the hooks so they go on clincher rims.

Tri-spokes have a cutout in one of the spokes on one side where the valve is.

The best wheel/tire for an Ironman is a topic of endless debate, especially on here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome... No other replies when I start this but I'm sure you'll get at least one recommending a search of existing threads. But, remembering that I also felt like I was taking a sip from a firehose, here's some quick answers to your specific questions -

Tubies v. Clinchers is a hot-button topic around here. For us MOP'ers, I think you should stay w/ the clinchers until you've learned enough to have (and defend) your own opinion of which is better. Clinchers are your "regular" tires (like you have now) - the tire is held in place by the pressure of the inner-tube inside pushing against the rim. Tubulars - the tire forms a complete circle around the tube and is sewn shut; its held to the rim by glue (and air pressure expanding the size). Get a flat, you toss the whole thing out.

The valve in a tri-spoke is inside one of the spokes - there is a cutout that allows access to fill it.

For the IM question... Presuming you're not doing one real soon I'd again recommend just training on what you've got and talking to other triathletes at your local races. There are a lot of very divergent opinions; take all with a grain of salt.

--------------------------------------------
"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." - Army General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the 'taking a drink from a fire hose' reference.

All the answers are right on the money. I would say that currently there is not reason for you to consider moving to a glue-up wheel for your racing. (personally I don't think that there is a reason for anyone to ride tubies anymore-but that is just my opinion).

Good luck.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all very much. This makes a ton more sense now. So what do people do who get a flat if they are using tubs in an ironman? Do they actually have to patch the hole and then inflate the tire?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, some remove the tire and glue on a new one. Then again, some are unable to remove the glued tire and instead choose to throw their bike into a lava field. (sorry Normann).

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply