Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here is an interesting study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...amp;logdbfrom=pubmed

To determine the effects of cycling experience, fitness level, and power output on preferred and most economical cycling cadences: 1) the preferred cadence (PC) of 12 male cyclists, 10 male runners, and 10 less-trained male noncyclists was determined at 75, 100, 150, 200, and 250 W for cyclists and runners and 75, 100, 125, 150, and 175 W for the less-trained group; and 2) steady-state aerobic demand was determined at six cadences (50, 65, 80, 95, 110 rpm and PC) at 100, 150, and 200 W for cyclists and runners and 75, 100, and 150 W for less-trained subjects. Cyclists and runners (VO2max: 70.7 +/- 4.1 and 72.5 +/- 2.2 mL.kg-1.min-1, respectively) maintained PC between 90 and 100 rpm at all power outputs and both groups selected similar cadences at each power output. In contrast, the less-trained group (VO2max = 44.2 +/- 2.8 mL.kg-1.min-1) selected lower cadences at all common power outputs and reduced cadence from approximately 80 rpm at 75 W to 65 rpm at 175 W. The preferred cadences of all groups were significantly higher than their respective most economical cadences at all power outputs. Changes in power output had little effect on the most economical cadence, which was between 53.3 and 59.9 rpm, in all groups. It was concluded that cycling experience and minimization of aerobic demand are not critical determinants of PC in well-trained individuals. It was speculated that less-trained noncyclists, who cycled at a higher percentage of VO2max, may have selected lower PC to reduce aerobic demand.

Maybe Chrissie could push even bigger gears. :-)

Or maybe she could push even smaller ones. :-)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...Sum&ordinalpos=1

Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol. 2009 Sep-Oct;49(6-7):311-9.The efficiency of pedaling and the muscular recruitment are improved with increase of the cadence in cyclists and non-cyclists.
Dantas JL, Smirmaul BP, Altimari LR, Okano AH, Fontes EB, Camata TV, Moraes AC.
GPNeurom - Laboratory of Electromyography Studies, FEF - University of Campinas (UNICAMP), SP, Brazil.
The objective of this study was to compare the efficiency of pedaling (EP) and the electromyographic activity (EMG) between cyclists and non-cyclists during cycling in different cadences. Using a cyclosimulator, 12 cyclists (26.5 +/- 4.5 years; 68.2 +/- 10.5 kg; 175.6 +/- 8.2 cm) and 9 non-cyclists (25.1 +/- 4.3 years; 72.6 +/- 9.8 kg; 174.6 +/- 6.2 cm), performed a maximum incremental test (ITmax), and subsequently, two constant load tests (Tconst) in different cadences (60 and 90 rpm) at the intensity of the electromyographic fatigue threshold (EMGth) determined in ITmax. Before the Tconst, the subjects performed a maximum isometric voluntary contraction (MIVC) for the normalization of the EMG data of Tconst. During Tconst, the EMG of the studied muscles was recorded, as well as the EP Although there was a trend of higher values in all occasions for the cyclists, there were no statistical differences in EP and the EMG when compared in a same cadence between groups. However, when the EMG is compared in different cadences in the same group, there was a significant increase (p < 0.05) in the muscles that work during the recovery phase with the increase in cadence, in both groups, being more evident in the cyclists. In conclusion, the hypothesis that cyclists had better technique than non-cyclists was not confirmed statistically. However, it was found that the increase in cadence improves the EP and the recruitment in both groups.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Here is an interesting study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...amp;logdbfrom=pubmed

To determine the effects of cycling experience, fitness level, and power output on preferred and most economical cycling cadences: 1) the preferred cadence (PC) of 12 male cyclists, 10 male runners, and 10 less-trained male noncyclists was determined at 75, 100, 150, 200, and 250 W for cyclists and runners and 75, 100, 125, 150, and 175 W for the less-trained group; and 2) steady-state aerobic demand was determined at six cadences (50, 65, 80, 95, 110 rpm and PC) at 100, 150, and 200 W for cyclists and runners and 75, 100, and 150 W for less-trained subjects. Cyclists and runners (VO2max: 70.7 +/- 4.1 and 72.5 +/- 2.2 mL.kg-1.min-1, respectively) maintained PC between 90 and 100 rpm at all power outputs and both groups selected similar cadences at each power output. In contrast, the less-trained group (VO2max = 44.2 +/- 2.8 mL.kg-1.min-1) selected lower cadences at all common power outputs and reduced cadence from approximately 80 rpm at 75 W to 65 rpm at 175 W. The preferred cadences of all groups were significantly higher than their respective most economical cadences at all power outputs. Changes in power output had little effect on the most economical cadence, which was between 53.3 and 59.9 rpm, in all groups. It was concluded that cycling experience and minimization of aerobic demand are not critical determinants of PC in well-trained individuals. It was speculated that less-trained noncyclists, who cycled at a higher percentage of VO2max, may have selected lower PC to reduce aerobic demand.

Maybe Chrissie could push even bigger gears. :-)

Or maybe she could push even smaller ones. :-)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...Sum&ordinalpos=1

Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol. 2009 Sep-Oct;49(6-7):311-9.The efficiency of pedaling and the muscular recruitment are improved with increase of the cadence in cyclists and non-cyclists.
Dantas JL, Smirmaul BP, Altimari LR, Okano AH, Fontes EB, Camata TV, Moraes AC.
GPNeurom - Laboratory of Electromyography Studies, FEF - University of Campinas (UNICAMP), SP, Brazil.
The objective of this study was to compare the efficiency of pedaling (EP) and the electromyographic activity (EMG) between cyclists and non-cyclists during cycling in different cadences. Using a cyclosimulator, 12 cyclists (26.5 +/- 4.5 years; 68.2 +/- 10.5 kg; 175.6 +/- 8.2 cm) and 9 non-cyclists (25.1 +/- 4.3 years; 72.6 +/- 9.8 kg; 174.6 +/- 6.2 cm), performed a maximum incremental test (ITmax), and subsequently, two constant load tests (Tconst) in different cadences (60 and 90 rpm) at the intensity of the electromyographic fatigue threshold (EMGth) determined in ITmax. Before the Tconst, the subjects performed a maximum isometric voluntary contraction (MIVC) for the normalization of the EMG data of Tconst. During Tconst, the EMG of the studied muscles was recorded, as well as the EP Although there was a trend of higher values in all occasions for the cyclists, there were no statistical differences in EP and the EMG when compared in a same cadence between groups. However, when the EMG is compared in different cadences in the same group, there was a significant increase (p < 0.05) in the muscles that work during the recovery phase with the increase in cadence, in both groups, being more evident in the cyclists. In conclusion, the hypothesis that cyclists had better technique than non-cyclists was not confirmed statistically. However, it was found that the increase in cadence improves the EP and the recruitment in both groups.

BTW, I think this shows efficiency is multifactorial and not a one size fits all and, of course, one study doesn't prove anything. Note that none of these studies involved muscle biopsies even though according to that eariler study by Coyle the only determinant of cycling efficiency is muscle type. Hence, since people can't do much about their muscle fiber type, the take home for most people should be that they should experiment with some of these different approaches to improve efficiency and power and see what is best for them. (Isn't that what Chrissie says she does?) Unless, of course, they have a coach then they should just ask them what to do. :-)

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Alright, I'm suckered into posting again... I knew it would happen... :)

I was predominately talking about fiber type recruitment though, not fiber type of biopsy. I don't think you will disagree with the statement that different cadences/intensities change the percentage of each fiber type that is recruited. For example, very low intensity efforts recruit more type I fibers. Very high intensity efforts (like sprints) recruit more type II fibers. I think that is well established. So what I was trying to say (but maybe did not say so clearly) is that here is what I think is a logical conclusion related to efficiency:
-> type I fibers contract more efficiently than type II fibers (but with less force)

agree
In Reply To:

-> the higher the required force of contraction (defined for cycling by torque - which is affected by both cadence and power), the more type II fibers get recruited.

I don't agree entirely here. there are two components to the required force of contraction. One is, of course, the force on the pedals. But, the other is the force required to accelerate the associated body parts up to the speed of the pedal. One component gets lower with higher cadence, the other gets higher. The timing of these various "forces" may not be entirely correlated but they are both present. This trade off probably explains why there is a range of cadences where efficiency doesn't change much. But, it is why unloaded high cadence cycling gets the old HR up and can take the cyclist anaerobic if one goes high enough even at zero power. This can also explain why better unweighting on the upstroke can increase efficiency because it could mean less recruitment of type II fibers when pushing with the quads, especially at higher power. Here is some pedal force data submitted to me by a PC'er comparing PowerCranks forces to what he does on regular cranks. He has lower pushing forces despite a lower cadence on PowerCranks at the same power (250 watts).

In Reply To:

-> each individual has a different breakdown of type I and type II fibers, though muscle fiber breakdown probably self selects somewhat. I.e., a natural sprinter is probably going to have a lot of type II fibers and a natural endurance athlete is going to have a lot of type I fibers

agree, it is why one of the most important aspects of becoming elite is chosing your sport correctly, not so much choosing your parent carefully.
In Reply To:

-> the variance in fiber type affects what is an optimally efficient cadence range for a given individual

that would be one component. But it is not the only one, imho.
In Reply To:

-> the most efficient cadence range will be the one that maximizes the use of type I fibers, since they respirate the most efficiently. However, for some individuals, they may to be able to generate 100% of the required force from type I fibers. In this case, type II fibers will be recruited. It's optimizing that balance that defines the most efficient cadence range. I.e., for individuals with a great deal of type II fibers, the optimal cadence range will be lower than for individuals with a lot of type I fibers. In everyone's case, however, a cadence that is either lower or higher than the ends of that range is going to be less optimal.

I presume you are talking about pure endurance events like Ironman. I am not sure I would agree with you here. I don't know there is any evidence to support this. People with high proportion of type two fibers probably are better off choosing another sport than trying to emulate Chrissie. I sincerely doubt Chrissie has a high proportion of type II fibers. I would think they would have to be even more careful about avoiding type II fiber use if they wanted to make it to the marathon.
In Reply To:

-> This is why as load goes up, the optimal cadence also goes up, because that is how you continue to recruit the maximum amount of type I fibers

Yes, but it is also why the time such a load can be sustained goes down. RAAM riders ride at a lower power and substantially slower cadence than "ordinary" cyclists. That argues against your (avoid type II use requires high cadence" hypothesis above.
In Reply To:

-> It's also why, as load goes DOWN, the optimal cadence also goes down, because there is a cost to simply pedaling (even against no load), and if the required force is small enough, then there's no reason to incur this additional load, since the required torque is already low enough.

Yes, I agree. the cost of pedaling against no load is the cost I mentioned above, the cost of accelerating the body parts up to speed (plus the internal friction of the various parts). As long as the forces involved are low enough that there is essentially no type I recruitment the cyclist should be able to pedal indefinitely. It is all about proper pacing, wouldn't you say.
In Reply To:

That's my opinion, which I believe is supported by my interpretation of various studies on cadence/efficiency/etc. So I hope that clears up why I was referring to fiber type. I was not talking about an individual's breakdown within a given muscle (though that is relevant because I believe it plays a role in determining optimal cadence range for a given individual at a given effort). I was talking about recruitment for a given load. I believe this is essentially what this study says (though I have not read the whole study, only the abstract): The efficiency of pedaling and the muscular recruitment are improved with increase of the cadence in cyclists and non-cyclists. I'd also point to this study as one that stands in contrast with your assertion that most cyclists pedal with a cadence that is higher than their most efficient one (and that a lower cadence is more efficient). I do want to emphasize that I think it's a RANGE, not a number, where folks are optimal. This seems to be supported by efficiency studies that demonstrate an efficiency "plateau" across a range of cadences.

I would agree with your thoughts here that fiber type does affect what the athlete should be doing. I simply believe that most cyclists pedal at a cadence higher than is optimal for them because most of them are trying to pedal like Lance but none of them are training like Lance. Studies consistently show most efficient cadences in the power range of most athletes being between 60-80. Most people are racing at cadences between 80 and 100, IMHO. The athlete cannot know what is best for them without testing, and this doesn't require testing in the lab. It is simple trial and error to see what works and what doesn't, which is all Chrissie advocated that started this thread.
In Reply To:

Whatever she is doing she seems to think she can do it and it seems to be working for her.
I don't disagree with that. I just think that's quite different from saying, "It’s a misconception that you need to spin a smaller gear at a higher cadence on the bike. You don’t, " Wellington said. " Doing that actually raises your heart rate and makes you more tired, which doesn’t serve you very well in long distance racing. Cranking it down and pushing a bigger gear lets me lower my heart rate." My dispute is with the conclusions she draws. That's my personal opinion. I think her conclusions about why low cadence is wrong. That's different than me saying that pedaling a low cadence is wrong. Chrissie is successful. Chrissie rides a low cadence. In my opinion, it's not reasonable to conclude that Chrissie is successful BECAUSE she rides a low cadence.

Well, I think her conclusions are correct. Reasonable people can agree to disagree.
In Reply To:

Coyle wrote, Although during all laboratory measures of mechanical ef&#64257;ciency, cycling cadence was held constant at 85 rpm, this individual’s freely chosen cycling cadence during time trial racing of 30- to 60-min duration increased progressively during this 7-yr period from 85–95 rpm to 105–110 rpm. That is the change in cadence I am referring to. My *opinion* is that this training//racing cadence could impact his efficiency, even at lower cadences. "Carry over," if you will. I.e., training & racing at a very high cadence was what necessitated changes in pedaling efficiency. I.e., I'd argue that his pedaling efficiency changed as a result of changing his freely chosen cadence in training/racing. That's as opposed to saying that his cadence increased as a result of a change in pedaling technique. I.e., I would say that Lance's changes to his "preferred" cadence necessitated other changes, as opposed to vice versa. That's opinion. But I don't think it's unreasonable to argue that the ~10% increase in preferred cadence was a physiological load that his body responded to.

yes, Coyle did write that. And Carmichael wrote that they started in 1993 on a deliberate attempt to change his pedaling dynamic in order to allow him to ride at a higher cadence. High power requires high cadence. The more efficient one is the higher one can take the cadence, the longer one can sustain that cadence, and the longer one can sustain that power. It is what makes Lance a champion, IMHO, not drugs. At least, his dominance can be explained without the need to invoke drug use to the dismay of Ashendon, whether he has used them or not.
In Reply To:

Before one would want to show that improvement in time to exhaustion was a result it would be nice to show that the dynamic was changed. One step at a time don't you think. I would actually have gone the other way. In my opinion, if time to exhaustion was improved, then that is of value even if the dynamic doesn't carry over. I.e., performance is the currency we care about. If there isn't a clear performance benefit, then who cares if there's carry over. That's my thought process. I just don't see that carry over is all that interesting if you don't actually know that there is a benefit that you are trying to understand in the first place. <shrug>

Well, when you do your study you can do it that way. We are all stuck with what the researchers actually do even though we might like them to do something different.
In Reply To:

1sec is "instantaneous" enough for my purposes. I.e., given what I stated I believe, it isn't important to me to have feedback more often that that. In fact, I actually run a 5sec rolling average, which is still works "instantaneous" enough for me. Again, that's based of my belief about how PowerCranks could add value to training, which is based off no personal experience, but which is based off discussions with elite athletes I am close friends with who have used PowerCranks in the past, but do not use them now. I also don't agree that PowerCranks offer a "more efficient" pedaling style. Other than that rather large sticking point, we are in agreement. If you want to race on PowerCranks, train on them (and vice versa). But I don't thinks it's been demonstrated conclusively that PowerCranks offer a more efficient pedaling technique. If you want to say that people *perceive* that they pedal more "efficiently" as a result of using PowerCranks, I don't really have a problem with that. But I don't think you can conclusively say that pedaling in the PC style is more efficient. One step at a time, as you said.

But, in 1 second the crank has made 1.5 revolutions and there have been 3 "pushing" events by the two legs (at 90 rpm). How on earth does that kind of feedback help the rider to change the way he pedals. And, whether you believe PC's improve efficiency or not something has to explain the improvements reported by users. Luttrell obtained an efficiency improvement in only 6 weeks so it is possible. Burns almost replicated that result in 5 weeks but the improvement didn't quite reach statistical significance. With enough time though . . . Problem is no one has ever before shown that it is possible to reliably improve cycling efficiency which makes these results improbable to the experienced researcher. But, then there is that Lance data fly in the ointment.
In Reply To:

I think most will agree she tends to ride at a lower cadence and faster than most of her competition.
I'm not so sure. That's really why I've asked for numbers. If you watch either Tereza Macel (4th) or Lucie Zelenkova (lead out of the water), both pedal with a lower cadence than Chrissie. That's why I brought up her riding at 88rpm. It may appear that she rides a low cadence, but what is her average over the course of a race? I don't know. But I was - personally - quite surprised to see how high her cadence was during the first couple hours of the race. I'm not asking you to explain it. I'm just saying maybe she doesn't actually pedal at as a low a cadence as she thinks. Reminds me of when folks use to say Bjorn rode at 65rpm. He actually did some races at 85-90rpm average, but people on the sidelines still said "look at him grinding away." I think there is some influence of people seeing what they want to see. That's all I'm saying.

Well, it is the concensus of most that she rides at a lower cadence. I can tell you this, that #2 told me she also tries to keep her cadence low. No spinning for her.
In Reply To:

I also disagree that saying "ride a lower cadence and see if it lowers your HR, because that's better for endurance racing" is good advice. I.e., if she'd said "ride a lower cadence and see what it does for your bike speed and run sped off the bike," then that's fine. It's really the issue of concluding that a lower cadence = lower HR and that lower HR is definitely better for endurance racing. That's my opinion. It seems to differ from yours. That's fine.

Reasonable people can agree to disagree. It is hard to disagre with Chrissie's results though. If she thinks something is important to her result I guess it is possible she might be wrong but I think one would be foolish to entirely discount it.

--------------
Frank,
Last edited by: Frank Day: Jan 5, 10 21:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
agree, it is why one of the most important aspects of becoming elite is chosing your sport correctly, not so much choosing your parent carefully.

I disagree 100%. By far, the most important aspect in becoming elite is genetics. There isn't even a close 2nd. If you do not have great genetics there is no way you are going to be an elite athlete.

What is this fascination that people have with observing elite athletes and trying to repeat their patterns without any understanding as to why they are doing what they are doing? It's absolutely absurd, imho. We have an opportunity to learn from people like Jordan because he's willing to share the intimate details of his training and, more importantly, his thought process. We have no clue as to why Chrissie does what she does and it's a worthless exercise to speculate. We have no idea whether she's as good as she is because of her training or in spite of her training.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am a physician and an anesthesiologist. I understand this stuff way beyond the level of yourself and Dr. Coggan.

What do you call the guy who graduates Dead F'ing Last in his med school class?
Doctor.
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I disagree 100%. By far, the most important aspect in becoming elite is genetics. There isn't even a close 2nd. If you do not have great genetics there is no way you are going to be an elite athlete.

What is this fascination that people have with observing elite athletes and trying to repeat their patterns without any understanding as to why they are doing what they are doing? It's absolutely absurd, imho. We have an opportunity to learn from people like Jordan because he's willing to share the intimate details of his training and, more importantly, his thought process. We have no clue as to why Chrissie does what she does and it's a worthless exercise to speculate. We have no idea whether she's as good as she is because of her training or in spite of her training.

Thanks, Chris

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris, I think what you have written is confusing things unnecessarily.

G.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Thanks, Chris
The most important aspect of becoming an elite athlete is work ethic, IMHO. Those with great genetics and poor work ethic can do well but are frequently surpassed by those with average genetics and great work ethic. Genetics only comes into play in separating those with near equal work ethics and identifying those people can only be done on the playing field. What does it mean to say someone has "great genetics" anyhow? Kobe Bryant has great genetics to be a basketball player. He can jump high because he has lots of fast twitch fibers and the "right" natural coordination for that sport. If he had taken up triathlon in HS I suspect he might be very good (because he would be able to transform some of those FT muscles into ST ones with enough work - he also has a grat work ethic) but I doubt he ever would have won Kona, not because he doesn't have good genetics but because he would have chosen the wrong sport for his good genetics. Lance Armstrong has good genetics for cycling (and, perhaps, triathlon) but lousy gnetics for basketball. Michael Jordan had great genetics for basketball and just above-average genetics for baseball, another sport he loved. Everyone probably has good genetics for some sport or skill, if they were only able to discover what it was and then to concentrate on it.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Everyone probably has good genetics for some sport or skill, if they were only able to discover what it was and then to concentrate on it.

Unfortunately (for me), based on results, I think about the only "skill" or event I'm genetically suited for is "BattleZone" :-(

http://en.wikipedia.org/...281980_video_game%29

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Everyone probably has good genetics for some sport or skill, if they were only able to discover what it was and then to concentrate on it.

Unfortunately (for me), based on results, I think about the only "skill" or event I'm genetically suited for is "BattleZone" :-(

I chose the wrong sport also. i have kicked Tiger Woods ass in Tiger Woods golf on the Wii.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever take the Cooter preference test, when you were a senior in high school? They said I should be a fire watcher.
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did you ever take the Cooter preference test, when you were a senior in high school? They said I should be a fire watcher.
LOL. Does that test your genetics or your work ethic?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you lost me with your rationale ...

so who are you saying would win the following triathlons ?

a high motivated Kobe vs low motivated lance
a low motivated kobe vs high motivated lance
a high motivated kobe vs high motivated lance
a low motivated kobe vs low motivated lance

on my guess its 0-1 kobe to 3-4 lance , and thats accepting your arguement that significant FT can change to ST is possible

does that still mean motivation is the most important factor determining performance ? or do factors like vo2 and biomechanics etc still factor ?
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Yeah...it said I should be a Forest Ranger (gee, when the questions are stuff like "would you rather be camping, or sitting inside reading?" how can anyone not be told they need to find an "outside job"?), with the 2nd choice being a Civil Engineer. So, I guess they were sorta close...

I read an interesting book recently called "The Talent Code" (by Daniel Coyle - yup, the "Lance Armstrong's War" guy). Good stuff in there not only about myelin and it's influence on learning and improving the speed of neural connections...but, also about "excellence" needing to be sparked by "passion".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I chose the wrong sport also. i have kicked Tiger Woods ass in Tiger Woods golf on the Wii.

Tiger's been distracted lately...

Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you lost me with your rationale ...

so who are you saying would win the following triathlons ?

a high motivated Kobe vs low motivated lance
a low motivated kobe vs high motivated lance
a high motivated kobe vs high motivated lance
a low motivated kobe vs low motivated lance

on my guess its 0-1 kobe to 3-4 lance , and thats accepting your arguement that significant FT can change to ST is possible

does that still mean motivation is the most important factor determining performance ? or do factors like vo2 and biomechanics etc still factor ?

A highly motivated Kobe would probably beat a lowly motivated Lance anyday. Look at how Lance performed at the NYC marathon where the motivation wasn't too great.

Anyhow, it has been demonstrated in studies that part of the training effect is the conversion of some FT muscles into ST muscles. It happens but it is not complete.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Thanks, Chris

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris, I think what you have written is confusing things unnecessarily.

G.

Sorry I'm confusing you. I made two separate comments. I'm not sure which one is unnecessarily confusing you or if it's both. I'll assume it's not the latter. I'll try to make my point more clearly.

I see hundreds of athletes absolutely wasting their time discussing and replicating workouts and characteristics (eg cadence) of certain pros into which they have no insight. They assume a specific workout or characteristic is contributing to the pro's success when, in fact, the chances of either of those two things making a significant difference is so low it's ridiculous, imho. This very thread started based on that illusion.

In addition, unless you have a deep understanding as to why the pro is doing what they're doing then you're speculating and speculating in this sport will probably produce the correct/best answer less than 10% of the time, imho.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The point is:

In order to be great at a sport you need great genetics in that sport and work ethic is probably a distant 2nd. It depends on how you define "great" but there have been plenty of great athletes with well-documented questionable work ethics.

Mind you, I'm quite certain that I have probably picked the sport in which I have the best genetics but that still doesn't and won't make me great (even if I was 20 years younger).

It's rather simple in my mind. If you want to be great in a sport then you need great genetics (in that sport). As long as that is the case then the details behind a great athlete's training program (or characteristics like cadence) are mostly meaningless to a typical triathlete like myself. IOW, it's probably the last place a typical triathlete should be looking in order to improve their fitness.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The point is:

In order to be great at a sport you need great genetics in that sport and work ethic is probably a distant 2nd. It depends on how you define "great" but there have been plenty of great athletes with well-documented questionable work ethics.

Mind you, I'm quite certain that I have probably picked the sport in which I have the best genetics but that still doesn't and won't make me great (even if I was 20 years younger).

It's rather simple in my mind. If you want to be great in a sport then you need great genetics (in that sport). As long as that is the case then the details behind a great athlete's training program (or characteristics like cadence) are mostly meaningless to a typical triathlete like myself. IOW, it's probably the last place a typical triathlete should be looking in order to improve their fitness.

Thanks, Chris
The problem is you don't know if your genetics are "great" for a sport or not until you devote yourself to it.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fail. Can't believe you missed this reference...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I call complete and utter bullsh!t when it comes to 'genetics'. no one here is an X-man so thats out of the question. want more proof? look at Rudy Garcia-Tolson. No legs and can dominate pros in the water and he was born to only be on dry land. Hard work is all it is, ever. and courage doesn't hurt either.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Last edited by: roadhouse: Jan 6, 10 11:37
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [roadhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I call complete and utter bullsh!t when it comes to 'genetics'. no one here is an X-man so thats out of the question. want more proof? look at Rudy Garcia-Tolson. No legs and can dominate pros in the water and he was born to only be on dry land. Hard work is all it is, ever. and courage doesn't hurt either.

You're under the impression that no legs = substandard genetics? If so then my suspicion is that you don't understand what we mean when we say "genetics."

You've provided zero proof.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you want to be great in a sport then you need great genetics (in that sport).

I'm pretty sure I just read some new research on evolution and adaptability that challenges this... wish I could remember the reference. But then.. if you are catholic.. moot point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

You're under the impression that no legs = substandard genetics? If so then my suspicion is that you don't understand what we mean when we say "genetics."

You've provided zero proof.

Thanks, Chris

look him up and look at his entire body and then tell me if he was born with even a fair shake at having normal genetics. he was born crippled, with legs, and had them removed at the age of five. and the cleft lip isn't exactly proof of genetic superiority either.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You rose to the bait...
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [FastandFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
If you want to be great in a sport then you need great genetics (in that sport).

I'm pretty sure I just read some new research on evolution and adaptability that challenges this... wish I could remember the reference. But then.. if you are catholic.. moot point.

I'm definitely NOT catholic. Let's just say I'm definitely not religious so forward that reference if/when you find it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next