Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cassette vs mountains
Quote | Reply
racing IM France, lots of steep mountains.
currently using 11gear, 11-28T ultegra cassette,
thoughts on switching/investing in 11-30T?
Quote Reply
Re: cassette vs mountains [alamo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would. Raced IM France a few years ago and I have good w/kg. I still appreciated that 30T cog because I could very easily spin over anything without any significant lactic buildup and I stayed nice and fresh for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: cassette vs mountains [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I would. Raced IM France a few years ago and I have good w/kg. I still appreciated that 30T cog because I could very easily spin over anything without any significant lactic buildup and I stayed nice and fresh for the run.

I 2nd this. I managed Mt. Mitchell on 11-28, but if I was a tri-person I'd have hated that run afterwards if there was one.

Especially if you don't train for low rpm climbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the chainrings on your crank?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alamo wrote:
racing IM France, lots of steep mountains.
currently using 11gear, 11-28T ultegra cassette,
thoughts on switching/investing in 11-30T?

Hardly any difference between those two....

How steep? What is your prefered cadence on a climb? W/kg you expect to average?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As already stated, 28 to 30 is insufficient difference so don't waste your money. Put at least a 32 on there if you want lower gears for mountains.
Quote Reply
Re: cassette vs mountains [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
What are the chainrings on your crank?
This is a good one to look at, a 36/28 will climb better than a 39/28 or 39/30 while a 50/11 might cost you a touch of downhill top speed vs a 53/11 you can still be doing close to 50mph with a 90 cadence. Can also beat the larger jumps at the low end of the range going with an 11-30 or 11-32.
Quote Reply