Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

carbon frame repair
Quote | Reply
Is there any way to repair a cracked carbon fiber frame? I have a new Giant TCR Composite w/ less than 200 miles with a crack that goes nearly all the way around the top tube. Results of a roof rack vs. carport collision. The crack does not appear to go through the entire thickness of the frame.

I have since replaced the frame, but now I have a "nearly new" carbon fiber frame that I'm hoping is not entirely worthless. Is there any way to repair it and salvage a nice training bike at the least?

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: carbon frame repair [hollidan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Throw some PowerCranks™ on it and use as an indoor trainer.

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me get this straight: You have a new frame, and still want to repair the Giant? did your insurance replace it?

I could tell you how to repair it, but then I would have to kill you (ha ha ha). Seriously, I do not know your technical knowlege, so I am not about to confuse you (if you could be confused) with this. I would recommend two courses of action: a) see if Giant would repair/crash replace b) Send me photos and maybe I could guide you in the right direction. Harry Hanoovian repairs carbon fibre, as well.
Quote Reply
Re: carbon frame repair [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To make a long story short, our homeowners insurance was maxed out from 2 typhoons and a robbery. My lovely insurance company raised my deductible to $1000 and I was able to replace the frame for $850, so hence no insurance claim.

Will a manufacturer repair/replace a frame that was damaged by negligence/ignorance? I figured I would have a claim if I was actually riding the bike at the time, but my wife just won't let me get on the saddle when the bike is on the roof rack. She always spoils my fun.

As far as my technical knowledge. Let's just say that whenever I attempt to do any repairs/maintenance I just end up making more work for the guys & gals who actually know what they are doing. Just for interest sake though I'll send you a pictue of my handywork.

Thanks for the advice.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Will a manufacturer repair/replace a frame that was damaged by negligence/ignorance?"

For a price, they will. This is where I would start: the dealer where you had purchased the frame. If nothing can/will be done, contact me via e mail. I will not make them do anything (as I have ZERO influence in the bike world), but I could help you along. But don't do ANYTHING to the frame, yet.
Quote Reply