Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

car racks
Quote | Reply
Any opinions on car racks?

I'm leaning toward Yakima - probably want to go with mighty mounts to add-on to the factory rack I already have. If I go with mighty mounts - my bike options are limited to the ankle biter, raptor, cobra types. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: car racks [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Yakima. I have 2 Viper carriers and matching locks for the towers. Rock solid, and looks pretty good too! I'm not fond of the Ankle Biter bike holders, preferring the security of the fork-down mounts myself.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: car racks [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd prefer to go with the ones that you attach your front fork to - but doesn't seem to be an option with the mighty mounts/use your factory rack system - not sure why.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't even get me started.... Yeah, I have an opinion.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: car racks [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on, Tom. What is your opinion?

I am in rack upgrade mode myself and I am all ears.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Saris Bones on the back of my car. Great design. Bikes go on and off quickly. Since I totalled my Cinelli Super Corsa with a roof rack I've eschewed them. I've also avoided them. :),

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: car racks [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Since I totalled my Cinelli Super Corsa..."

dude you have my sympathy. ouch.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: car racks [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom loves car racks...especially the trunk racks that tear the paint off the top tubes (Saris). Tom loves them, don't you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I don't like anything that has to clamp on to the frame tubes - those tubes can get really thin and probably wouldn't work with an aero tube. I don't like the ankle biter because it carry's the bikes at an odd angle on the roof - it just looks unstable. I prefer the fork mount, and specifically the Thule Velo Vise. These are really easy to use and have a very long throw skewer to get past the little fork tabs with ease.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK I'll Bite

I have the Thule Velo Vise system on my roof rack
it holds the bikes well but the carrier for the front wheels is a joke [just put them in the car]

I'm replacing my 2" receiver rack on the 4Runner with this [url]http://www.sportsrack.com/Detail.bok?searchpath=d8e71479f4b5f1c0da5c&keyword=GOTGCat019&keywordoption=AND&start=25&total=72&no=1046[/url]
Holds the bikes securely [must use a krytonite lock to prevent theft] fits my tri bike and my DH mountain bike.

I tend to drive to venues with up to 4 of my friends so carrying the bikes inside is not an option. I ususally have 2 bikes and the cargo box on the roof and 2 bikes in the receiver rack.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
you need a minivan.. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can easily get 4 bikes, 4 racers and gear inside my Sienna minivan. No racks, no problems. The bikes travel lovingly swaddled in blankets..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: you need a minivan.. [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not a chance. I would not be able to get out of my driveway in the winter with a MiniVan. We use 4WD at least 60 days each year to get in and out [steep Icy , Snowy, Muddy, Debris covered Mt Roads with a chain saw in the back of each vehicle] I see too many first winter residents slide their city vehicles off the road into the trees [and yes some of them had chains] LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: car racks [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom - if you can teach me howto get 2 bikes and tri gear into my '66 Karmann Ghia, I'll ditch the rack. ;)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

I had a Yakima system with Q Towers, had some problems with the towers migrating. I'd stay with your factory rack and its more stable base. I'd also opt out of the wheel carriors as well, I'm sure the wheel that popped off of mine is still rolling down I-65.
Quote Reply
Re: car racks [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With regard to the towers migrating, that's one of the big advantages of the Thule over the Yakima- if your vehicle has holes in the gutter where the racks mount. On our Saab 9-3, there are specific points where racks should be mounted, and there are holes in the slot for the rack to attach to. The Thule fit kit brackets have pins that fit into these holes to keep the bases from sliding around, whereas the Yakima does not. If you car has these holes in the mounting location you'll get a much more secure fit from the Thule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a lot of research I purchased one for $99 at Target. Its an outback I think. Its as strong as an OX and is soupposed to hold 4 bikes (although I have never tried that). It loads onto the hitch.

I have a big gas guzzling SUV and this rack has the ability to be lowered (without being taken off) to let you get into the back of the truck. With three kids I am always getting into the, twice as much once the bike is loaded.

So for me, the other ones may look cooler, but I think the old outback is better, stronger faster.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you missed the original post on this...

Tom and many other feel that a bike is best kept in the car. The biek costs several thousand dollars and is easily damaged by driving water, debris in the road, etc.

I would also add to this, I have heard from others that having a bike rack on your roof all of the time will cause you do see a significant drop in your fuel economy... Depending on how much youdrive, this could turn into some serious scratch.
Quote Reply