Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bp stealth users question
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at some of these bp stealth frames

How do you get forward steeper beyond 74 degrees on the seat tube angle? Or I guess my question is why is the seat tube angle just 74 degrees?

Also, the frame weighs about 5 pounds, isn't that considered a little heavy?
Quote Reply
Re: bp stealth users question [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe it is the same as the old Mongoose vomit bike frame that was designed for time trials in the 90's before UCI made up the double diamond frame rule. BP Stealth makes a forward seat post for the bike if you want to get steeper. Yes. It's heavy, but it is supposed to be very aero and is pretty stiff at the bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask Cousin Elwood, he races on one.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the same frame only badged under the "Martec" brand. I use a Thompson setback seatpost turned around to give me a little steeper seattube angle. I find it works fine for me.

Yeah, the frame is a little heavy but it's very fast and aero. My bike with full aero package including Hed-3 front wheel and Renn disc is about 23 pounds which is heavy by today's standards.

From time to time I think about getting something lighter and newer but to be honest I don't think I could find anything much better without selling my house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a relatively new rider of one of these machines, I found almost immediately I needed to switch to a more forward seatpost...the carbon bladed one that came with it just had me waaaay to far back.

As others have said, it is a heavier bike than most---don't expect I'll climb Mt. Diablo much with it---but it is super stiff and once up to speed moves along very well. Happy thus far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BP is made by Martec. Like someone else said, it was labled a Mongoose back when it was developed for the Olympics (possibly for the Australia??...but I have also seen a bike design that is similar, but way cleaner lines which was also an Australian olympic project). I bought mine way back when they first started selling them. They sold for $350 for the frame and fork, and were advertized with a lifetime guarantee. I figured that I could not go wrong. It is a good frame. It is a little heavy; although I have mine around 19lbs with disc (setup as seen). I have gone though ony one frame which developed a crack in the 'downtube' around the insert to the internal derailleur cable routing. The only other problem is that if the chain falls off on the inside of the chainring, it jams HARD between the frame and chanring. I have made a semi solution by gluing a piece of aluminium flashing in the spot where the chain would land, but it does have a tendency to do this if the derailleur is not set up right (also I have a 54-39 chainring set which is a little non-traditional, and causes some setup problems). I use a Corima seatpost turned around backwards to give me a seat angle of 79 degrees as far as I can tell. This is why I need the large size frame since I need more 'toptube' distance to get the forward seat position (with this I still need a 125 stem length). Let me know if there are any other questions you might have. It is a good frame, and in lieu of a Hotta (which I really wanted, but could not afford) it was a good compromise.

Stephen Judice

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I use an offset seatpost.

As Mike C comments below, it ain't a climber, although I've taken it up Diablo just to prove to myself that I wanted to use my road bike at the Napa Half!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: bp stealth users question [sjudice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude... keep your knees in!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: bp stealth users question [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I probably would if I could manage to get more than a handful of bike rides in a year. Hopefully this year Ill be able to train a bit more by commuting to work. Im surprized that you did not say anything about the thing under my aerobars...

Stephen j

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Get your knees in during your 5 rides a year then. I didn't see anything else, those knees were blinding me ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Profile forward post.
Quote Reply