Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bone healing time
Quote | Reply
i posted a while back asking about stress fractures (which i thought i had at the time). but it turned out i had a tumor, thankfully benign, called an aneurysmal bone cyst. anyway, finally had surgery on my proximal femur last week. they scooped out the cyst, cleaned out the defect, and grafted in bone chips from my pelvis. right now, it is medically an equivalent of having had a femoral shaft fracture (minus the addition of implants like nails or plates), hence it will have to heal up before i can even put weight on it. my doctor says a month or two of no weight bearing (i.e. crutches). at about 2-3 months post-op OK for swimming. biking 3 months at least. running--a whopping 6 months post-op. range of motion exercises are OK as much as my swollen thigh muscles permit.

anyone around here had to deal with something like this before? does it really take that long? if not, what did you do to lessen recovery time? my concern is really trying to get back into the groove sooner than my doctor's estimates (although he is a fine doctor and i trust him completely). although he is an orthopedic surgeon, i have a feeling he is leaning towards being more conservative because he may not have so much experience with athletic patients. whereas, I, being a triathlete, just cannot stand being out of commission for that long! i'm still trying to wrap my head around missing IMOZ 04 and i know getting back in the saddle is the only thing that will get me out of my funk.

thanks in advance,

Kim
Quote Reply
Re: bone healing time [dockimpoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having broken 19 bones I feel that I have a good handle on bone healing. Fingers and toes a week and I'm good to go w/ pain but life goes on. Tibia both times 6-9 weeks in a cast, another 2-4 weeks before running. partial tears of ankle ligaments the same. Arms depends where, about 6 weeks in a cast and another few to return to full ROM and activities.
Never broke a femur except when I tackled a guy. It wasn't mine but it was about 6 months before he got cleared to do anything.
IMO your better off safe than refactured.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fractured the femoral neck in '95, failed to heed the doctor's advice and put weight on the leg too quickly. The result was the fracture site was compressed, the healing took a bit longer and that leg is forever 1.5 cm shorter than the other. Lesson learned: avoid placing any weight on the leg until the doc gives you the proper OK, even if your mother-in-law is visiting and the only way to get out of the house is to prematurely place some weight on that leg.

Bob Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kim,

Glad to hear that you're ok. I would heed the doctor's advice. I was just diagnosed with a stress fracture in the tibia and when I moaned and complained about the recovery time, the doctor (who is a sports doc) said you are going to have to stop to get back to where you want to be.

Good luck with your recovery. Perhaps you can do some upper body weight training to help pass the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!

I broke my Femur about 9 months ago. I threw away my crutches in 2 months two weeks and one day afterwards. I was cycling on the road at 2 months and one week - hills too. That was after an X-ray had shown good healing. I was on my bike on the trainer in about one month. No weight on it though.

My recommendations:

Stretching and strength exercises 3 times a day. Starting with no weight and then using weight bags around the ankle, first one (1kg) then 2. (Wish I had kept that up)

Spinning with little resistance, gradually more.

Swimming with a pull buoy and also doing leg exercises in the pool, including walking supported by the water. Firstly up to the armpits and gradually getting shallower.

Calcium tablets - 1000mg once a day.

Worked for me!

Interesting that the Drs here don't see too many athletes and were worried about operating because my heart was too big! "But doctor - the heart is a muscle and exercise makes it grow bigger" - "No it doesn't, don't tell me my job".

Keep working on it! Hope it all goes well.
Quote Reply