Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bobo's MLK-related link
Quote | Reply
It was here: http://www.sobran.com/...ns/2003/030828.shtml

I've shyed away from the political threads of late. But after reading the above and seeing that it didn't seem to spark any debate, I decided to chime in. Either I was the only one who read it(quite possible), or no one else was bothered by the racism:

"Even then I knew that race is more than skin color. It includes ingrained behavior patterns, which differ from race to race. Only a false naivety pretends not to notice them. They show up, for example, in rates of violent crime and other aberrant conduct. " There's more, but that's the flavor.

Had a similar statement been made about women, I'm sure there would have been a forceful counterpoint.

Is the apathy a reflection of this board's values and/or a lack of diversity in general in triathlon?

Not sure what to make of this.

--ashayk

I don't presume that Bobo necessarily agrees with the article in its
Quote Reply
Re: bobo's MLK-related link [ashayk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've just read it, I hadn't before. Holy S**t, what a racist bastard. "Ingrained behaviour patterns??" It makes me really sick to think that there are still people like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read it previously and also found it offensive but ignored it. I've found from past experience from previously being in a relationship with a black woman for three years that there are some people, a surprisingly small minority though, at least where I live, who have strong views on race. My attitude then as now is f*ck them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't worth a response. I think most people here are too intelligent to believe that garbage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It saddens me how little we've progressed as a nation on the issue of race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't react b/c those comments are like someone saying that the moon is made of cheese. It's so stupid, you can let the comment stand on its own, and it's its own worst arguement. I thought it was so dumb that I figured any attention to is would be what the writer wanted.

Everyone with some thought knows, or realizes from real-life, that race has little to do with behavior. Socioeconomic status generally influences behaviors and thinking. Blacks in the suburbs act differently than do blacks in the ghetto. Whites in the suburbs act differently than whites in the ghetto. Mexicans in the suburbs act differently than Mexicans in the suburbs. Asians in the suburbs ...

Even then (i.e. location & socio status) there is an array of behavior. Enough variety that blanket statements cannot be made with responsibility and intelligence in mind.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Jan 21, 04 14:56
Quote Reply