Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike touring
Quote | Reply
So another thread started to head in this direction and it occurred to me I've never really seen this topic explored on this forum. A bike tour can be a nice way to get a good block of cycling in and is a joy in and of itself. What memorable tours have you taken? Below is a link to a journal of a tour my wife and I did on our tandem in Quebec this summer - best vacation ever! Quebec has to be one of the better places in the world for this type of riding. Fell free to share your thoughts about tandem riding too - it has worked out well for us and is a nice training supplement.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/...oc_id=16287&v=Dg
Quote Reply
Re: bike touring [wbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done a lot of touring. It is one of those things that I want to do more of, but there is always so much going on.

I live near the C&O and GAP, so I have done most of those when I test out my set up and get a feel for what I will need. Other than that, I did a van supported tour of Death Valley with Adventure Cycling. That was a great. Beautiful scenery, perfect weather, low traffic.

I have also done a solo, unsupported tour of the Tetons and Yellowstone. That was an adventure, and not really a good one. Despite it being in August, it was cold and rainy the entire time, except when there was sleet and lightning. I also got sick, spent the only sunny day of the entire 9 day trip asleep in my tent fighting a fever, then the next day had to ride 80 miles over 4 mountain passes, including the continental divide 3 times in order to meet the people who were picking me up.

The next one I want to do is Fairbanks to Anchorage, but I don't see fitting that into the schedule until at least 2017.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've done a few tours and am always looking to do more.

my first big one was vancouver to toronto, about 7 years ago. awesome, awesome way to see more of the country (and spend a summer!).

in europe i've had a few good ones - my wife and i biked zurich-manchester for a wedding a few years ago. the weather was awful every minute of that trip, but the people were lots of fun. we also did the adriatic coast - crotia and montenegro - one spring. that trip was a pain logistically, but absolutely beautiful, and biking into the bay of kotor was the best day of riding in my life.

my favourite one is probably the big canada tour, just because it was crazy and got to spend all day every day riding, which is my idea of a dream holiday. but more recently my wife and i did the inn river, from st.moritz to innsbruck, and that was great because the riding was perfect and varied, every day.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife and I just came back from a tour in Tuscany. Awesome time! Lots and lots of climbing. We booked thru REI but now we know the guy that runs the tours so we can eliminate the 'middle man' next time. He has a tour in the French Alps that I'm eyeing next year...

Jamie
Quote Reply