Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike rain jacket?
Quote | Reply
Can anyone suggest a jacket (brand) to wear on the bike when it is like 50 degrees and down pouring rain that meets these criteria:
-water proof
-breathable
-light weight and can be easily stuffed into a jersey pocket.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: bike rain jacket? [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Highflyer-you're likely to get a number of good answers here. I've found the $18 Performance rain coat to be my friend for many years. It's cheap, hard to hurt, fits easily into my fanny pack for that early ride chill when I don't have enough on, and is thick enough to keep me warm on cool, rainy days. After a couple years, when it finally rips, I just get a new one. Were that most bike related issues were both simple and inexpensive.

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: bike rain jacket? [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 I don't think breathable on a bike in the rain is possible. I go with the cheap waterproof.
Quote Reply
Re: bike rain jacket? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think breathable on a bike in the rain is possible. I go with the cheap waterproof.

We rode 100+K yesterday in a Biblical down-pour. Half of our group of 6 had cheap water-proof plastic cycling rain jackets, the others did not. I was in the latter group, but I was fine for most of the ride. I was wet right through, but I had enough on( base layer, jersey, wind vest, arm-warmers, knee warmers, rain booties, full finger gloves) that I was fine until the final 15 minutes when my feet started to get a bit cold. It was about 15C. The trick was to keep the foot on the gas( intensity up) and keep working hard and stay well hydrated and eat well.

The people wearing thew plastic rain jackets said they were getting just as wet with sweat from the inside!!

I agree. I tested all kinds of different so-called water-proof breathable miracle fabrics when I was working at Sugoi a number of years ago and they all disapointed.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've actually been wondering the same thing, and was looking around the internet for reviews on ST, other forums, etc. It does seem like many people go with the cheap options - the performance jacket or one from voler. Then, there seem to be some pretty expensive options - the two that get mentioned the most seem to be:
-Shower's pass elite 2.0 jacket
-Endura venturi jacket

While there are plenty in the middle, everybody who seems really happy with their rain jacket seems to have gone towards one or the other extreme. I'm curious to see what others here have to say, though. Like I said, I'm looking for one myself, and am really curious whether the high-end jackets are really worth it or not...

John
Quote Reply
Re: bike rain jacket? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't think breathable on a bike in the rain is possible. I go with the cheap waterproof.

We rode 100+K yesterday in a Biblical down-pour. Half of our group of 6 had cheap water-proof plastic cycling rain jackets, the others did not. I was in the latter group, but I was fine for most of the ride. I was wet right through, but I had enough on( base layer, jersey, wind vest, arm-warmers, knee warmers, rain booties, full finger gloves) that I was fine until the final 15 minutes when my feet started to get a bit cold. It was about 15C. The trick was to keep the foot on the gas( intensity up) and keep working hard and stay well hydrated and eat well.

The people wearing thew plastic rain jackets said they were getting just as wet with sweat from the inside!!

I agree. I tested all kinds of different so-called water-proof breathable miracle fabrics when I was working at Sugoi a number of years ago and they all disapointed.

+1. We've studied a lot of waterproof/breathable (wp/b) fabrics at Backpackinglight. At high exertion, even the most breathable can't keep up with your sweat production. It's definitely better to run "wet" with just a windshirt rather than a wp/b jacket. Cycling is tougher as you have substantial windchill to deal with.

FWIW, the most breathable wp/b fabric we've seen is eVent. It's also expensive and doesn't pack down as small as thinner polyurethane-based wp/b fabrics.

Interestingly enough, second place in breathability goes to a very inexpensive fabric called Propore made by 3M. It's a non-woven polypropylene fabric. Rainshield makes an inexpensive cycling-specific jacket out of the stuff. But, it doesn't pack down very small either.

Stay Warm. :)

-Mike

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shower Pass from Seattle - best rain jacket I have ever worn-

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: bike rain jacket? [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Showers Pass (actually in Portland) make a complete line of rain jackets. I'll repeat what was said above that there is no fabric that can keep up with the sweat levels from riding hard. I live in the Portland area and spend 1/2 of my miles on the rain bike which means it's raining. One of the biggest factors is the outside temperature relative to comfort. In the winter months, it's common to have it raining hard (1/2" a day plus) and be in the high high 30's to low 40's F. You get soaked in those temperatures and you'll REALLY feel cold. If we're talking about rain in the high 50's and up, getting wet isn't so bad especially if you don't stop and cool down.

I bought the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 (eVent material) originally. It's a very popular jacket in Portland, especially for commuting. It's expensive ($225) and difficult to pack as it's heavy duty. I finally sold mine and bought a Club (http://showerspass.com/products.asp?ManId=3206&ProductId=2&Product=Club) and a Pro Tech (http://showerspass.com/...&Product=ProTech)

The club is a decent jacket for the price ($80). THe Double Century is also good. Both are packable and have pit zips plus a large rear flap.

I end up using the Pro Tech the majority of the time. No pit zips but very lightweight and very packable. It's intended to compete with the Assos jacket at 1/3 the price. The fabric isn't the same as the Assos however. Warmth for colder days is regulated by different choices of layers underneath the jacket, not relying on the jacket for insulation effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 with eVent fabric. It is both my rain jacket and my winter riding jacket with layers (in Minnesota). The long armpit zippers are hugely effective at venting and the fabric keeps me dry in anything. But, as others have said it's a lot of money and it doesn't pack down that well. Where I live it's worth it and I love this jacket. (Got the hood too, it's a separate purchase).

You might also check out Gore Bike Wear for products that pack down well, it that's a priority.

-------
Joe

Quote Reply