Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike prices: tri vs. mtb
Quote | Reply
i was thinking the other day about how expensive tri bikes are compared to mountain bikes. an example from canyon, who might be sort of special in terms of their pricing, but who are also a very big player in terms of sales and sponsorships etc.

looking at canyon's tri range here in switzerland (and swapping swiss francs for US$, which are pretty close), the offering goes:
$2850: speedmax CF7. 105-level components, box-section wheels, powermeter, bento box, flat kit storage.
$7950: speedmax CF SLX 8. ultegra, dt-swiss aero wheels, integrated hydration/storage
$10290: speedmax CFR. dura-ace, slighter deeper dt-swiss wheels, otherwise same frame as above.

looking at the cross-country MTB range, it goes:
$3100: lux world cup 6. shimano LX, fox 32 step-cast remote, dt swiss wheels
$3499: lux world cup 7. shimano XT. fox elite, reynolds wheels
$4679: lux world cup 8: gx eagle axs, fox factory, dt swiss wheels
$6549: lux world cup team: XTR, fox factory, dt swiss wheels
$7950: lux world cup CRF LTD. XX sl eagle axs, dt, ceramic bearings, dt swiss carbon wheels

now, people have won kona on the 10k+ version of the speedmax. but puck pieterse won the MTB world cup on that lux. it's a top, top tier bike. there are more build options available, and - to me - they look like better value at almost every level. they're also plenty complicated to build - the lux is a carbon-framed, dual-suspension XC rig with an IPU unit and internal cables and the works.

so: why are tri bikes so expensive?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: bike prices: tri vs. mtb [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All about scale…. I would guess that MT Bike are selling 10x that of try bikes perhaps more. Certainly can spend $15k on highest end MT bikes from Trek, Specialized and Scott. However because of the scale Mt Bikes have much better mid tier values. Not to mention Mt Bikes are 100x more fun to ride!
Quote Reply
Re: bike prices: tri vs. mtb [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
Not to mention Mt Bikes are 100x more fun to ride!

Preach. I just moved to an area where hundreds of thousands of acres MTB paradise starts literally from my back yard, and every day I've been staring at my road bikes for 10 seconds, then mostly selecting my MTB or gravel bike to head out. I felt better yesterday meeting a DSM pro out on the trails, so figure it's OK for roadie off-season. People on the trails are starting to rib me about when they'll start seeing me in baggies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at the new Cervelo ZFS-5 mtn bike it's priced at $10700usd. The Santa Cruz Blur, which the Cervelo takes A LOT of design / parts from (both owned by PON) for their top of the line edition it's $11300.

The Cervelo P5 DA model comes in at $13000 and the e tap models right at $10,000 (although I've had 2 athletes buy P5 e taps this year at $8800 and $8200)

Comparable pricing (although I'd probably lean in favor of the Blur's $7600 or $9000 model if I was going to mtn bike race again)

I think it mostly just comes down to the # of SKU's you're going to sell. mtn bikes are going to outsell tribikes 5,6,7 or more to 1.

There are a ton of 35-55 yo dudes and dudettes in my neighborhood. Only 2 others have raced tri somewhat seriously ( call it 3-5 races per season, one of the Mom's has won several local/regional races back in the day) and 1 other raced a tri or two.

The Wednesday night neighborhood mtn bike ride rolls out with anywhere from 5-13 people on it usually 1-3 women show up. Granted they ride the trail up to 7-11 get a beer or 3 and ride home and most don't go out elsewhere to ride.

Mtn bike is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more popular than tri

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna catch hell for this one.

I learned something from when I raced sailboats. You can forgive a lot of a boat's faults if - as you row away from her sitting on a mooring - you can look back and say to yourself "dam, that's a pretty boat".

IMHO, some of the newest high-end Tri bikes (i.e. Felt IA 2.0 as an example, there are others) simply don't look good. I don't care if "form follows" function, I'm not buying it - certainly not for that amount of money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to say how they spread costs out between different products lines. Also can't find anywhere if they say they use different material for the CFR. If I had to guess though, the speedmax required significantly more design time and that frame is probably more expensive to manufacture, probably takes more time and has a higher scrap rate. It's actually quite difficult to get carbon into tight radii, such as with an airfoil. If they use a higher modulus carbon, it'll be even more difficult.
Quote Reply
Re: bike prices: tri vs. mtb [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
I'm gonna catch hell for this one.

I learned something from when I raced sailboats. You can forgive a lot of a boat's faults if - as you row away from her sitting on a mooring - you can look back and say to yourself "dam, that's a pretty boat".

IMHO, some of the newest high-end Tri bikes (i.e. Felt IA 2.0 as an example, there are others) simply don't look good. I don't care if "form follows" function, I'm not buying it - certainly not for that amount of money.

ha ha! was just thinking the same thing. i'm sort of in the market for a new tri bike so i'm looking things over. the last generation felts looked lovely to me, but the new one . . . not if it was half off.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply