Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike maintenance for idiots
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am female. No, I don't enjoy tinkering with my bike, and no, I don't maintain the bike to the standard that it deserves. I have yet to even change a tire, but I am learning. So, no sarcasm please, I just need a couple of answers in real simple, non-technical language.

Today I popped the chain off my mountain bike. On the road bike I just put it back on any ring, doesn't seem to matter. On the mtn. bike there are the numbers/lines on the shifters that tell you what gear you are in, and in my 6 rides, I have started to rely on those when I go up hill. So, when the chain came off, I had no idea what ring to put it back on. Does it matter, do I just throw it on and go?

Second question- this week-end my husband pointed out that the sidewalls on the tires of my new road bike are cracking. He accused me of not pumping up the tires before I ride. But I have, every single time. I have the big arm muscles to prove it. Plus, I hate the feeling of riding on soft wheels. The bike is a trek 2700 with Bontrager wheels, bought in December. Any thoughts on the cracking? Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: bike maintenance for idiots [TriKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put your chain back on the ring closest to chain (same for your road bike, too). If it fell off to the outside, put it back on the outside ring. This can be prevented by a quick adjustment or two by your LBS.

Cracking sidewalls on newer tires - Do you leave your bike outside in the sun (or in direct sunlight)? To what pressure are you inflating your tires?
Quote Reply
Re: bike maintenance for idiots [TriKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Just pop it on, then lift by the saddle and pedal by hand a few turns. The chain will go where it should. On both a road and mtn bike if you put the chain on by hand start pedaling hard it may skip you could crash.

The cracking is usually superficial and normal. it will happen more if stored outside of the proverbial cool dry place.

The most important mantenance is to keep every thing lightly lubed, to make sure the brakepads are not excessively worn, and to make sure nothing is loose. Change the chain every year, and the cassette every two. If you change the chain and the shifting is bad (skips) change the cassette immediately.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: bike maintenance for idiots [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if the supplier unloaded some older tires???

Jay
Quote Reply