Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike fit parameters
Quote | Reply
looking at recent bike fit pic post got me thinking --- are there any other bike fit parameters besides:

1. Comfort

2. Power

3. Aerodynamics?

I can't think of any.

And of these three, isnt it almost always best to go for Comfort, then look at Power and Aero modifications (which often offset each other - e.g., position w/ more power is less aero)? I just think that people see the Larsons and Bjorns and read too many glossy mags and get fixated with 2 and 3 and forget about 1. And given the average speed of an IM AGer it seems clear that, assuming comfort is maximized, then the fit should be geared towards power with aero a distant 3rd. I mean, assuming you are not dragging a parachute behind you, how much of an impact will say moving elbows 2cm closer together or nose 2cm closer to front wheel have at an avg speed of 30-32kph? And the bigger question is whether that aero tweak be offset by loss in power or comfort? (assuming of course that you can maintain that more aggressive aero position without fidgeting, stretching, etc. thereby losing all aero advantage of said position and probably creating more drag than a roadie riding comfortably and steadily on the hoods),

Am I right or am I right?

Now if you will excuse me I need to go peruse a catalog of dimpled discs and skin suits.
Quote Reply
Re: bike fit parameters [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree but I rate power/comfort as an equal followed by the ability to maintain/use the position in a variety of conditions with stability and handling in there as well.

I look as some of the setups posted here and cant imagine you could ride the bike in anywhere by flat courses on perfect roads, I love climbing and switchbacks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go with:

1. Power

2. Aerodynamics

3. Comfort

If power is up and I'm in an aerodynamic position I don't really care about comfort - as long as the level of discomfort isn't compromising power.

ot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rate them in the order that you have.
Quote Reply
Re: bike fit parameters [tri-espana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with stability and handling in there as well.

Good point- how come this doesn't come up more often? I have to think that one's fit on a bike has a definite impact on one's ability to handle said bike on the road- I'm thinking, for example, of a recent fit pic posted for the forum's review. Any reason safe handling shouldn't rank near the top of the list?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: bike fit parameters [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Safety, what a bunch of sissies. Kidding.

Wouldn't the comfort level, and therefore fit tolerences change with the distance you race (and have to run after the ride). For a sprint you get power and aero maxed out, and live with discomfort. Anything that isn't so painfull that it slows you down (on the bike or the run) or keep you from finishing the race is acceptable.

Longer races mean finding a position that allows you to finish on race day and get the best power and aero you can out of that.

"Nobody gets out of here alive."
Quote Reply
Re: bike fit parameters [bruiser98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does my ass look big on this bike?

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Last edited by: MattinSF: Jan 6, 05 14:54
Quote Reply
Re: bike fit parameters [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're a runner, right? It's going to take more than a bike to make your ass look good.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: bike fit parameters [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats cold dude.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: bike fit parameters [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What can I say, Matt? Misery loves company. ;)

Quote Reply