Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
best triathlon super shoe
Quote | Reply
So after watching the men's and women's Olympic triathlon being won in Asics I am wondering what are your votes for the best triathlon super shoe? I am personally looking forward to testing out the Adidas Prime X in a race but didn't see anyone wearing them at the Olympics so far.Lots of Asics and lots of Nike out there with a few Adidas. What's your take?
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon super shoe [tridadsask] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed the Asics as well. One big factor is what shoes are comfortable without socks. I typically run in Next%s, but it seems like the heel cushion could be a source of blistering on the heel.

And not to hijack this thread, I’m looking for shoes that I can use sockless for sprint events. Any recommendations? Looks like the Asics Metaspeeds are a candidate.
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon super shoe [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Zoot’s for sprints and Olympic distant tri’s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridadsask wrote:
So after watching the men's and women's Olympic triathlon being won in Asics I am wondering what are your votes for the best triathlon super shoe? I am personally looking forward to testing out the Adidas Prime X in a race but didn't see anyone wearing them at the Olympics so far.Lots of Asics and lots of Nike out there with a few Adidas. What's your take?

Loved the Hyperspeed for racing and my new Noosas for training. Have had the 4% and Next% for racing, they are a fast shoe, but I'm not a fan of them so am keen to try out the Asics Metarspeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard athletes were having trouble with Nike's ultra thin tongue folding and causing irritation. It's also hard(er) to get on without socks or with wet feet. Don't know for sure.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon super shoe [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a Nike athlete per se but I use Nike VF & Alphas. The VF does have a tongue that is absolutely a PITA for me. I am hoping to get the new VF with "toggle" aka just lace locks on them and a Flyknit upper, just so I don't have to deal the the damned tongue & goofy lacing angle in transition. But yes, the VF non-knit uppers have a tongue that is irritating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridadsask wrote:

Surely it depends on your foot. Whenever I've tried Asics they've made the balls of my feet burn like hell. Brooks all the way for me.
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon super shoe [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's important to remember that's what's best for the pros is not going to be best for age groupers and that the answer to your question depends on the distance. I raced IMLP this past weekend, and I saw *a lot* of age groupers hobbling in Vaporflys. It's a great straight marathon shoe and a great triathlon shoe for elite, professional triathletes, but I don't think it's a great choice for MOP (or even, say, top 10%) age groupers, who are likely to need more support and stability in an IM marathon. Fwiw, my New Balance RC Elite 2 treated me very well. No walking except through every second or third aid station.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost every road racer is wearing Vaporfly's but Nike also has a monopoly on T&F. I think it's interesting that a lot of triathletes are wearing the ASICS. A lot of them probably don't have specific shoe sponsors & can wear whatever they like. You better believe Norway has tested everything to see what's best for their athletes. KB was wearing Vaporfly's up until a couple of months ago. I'm guessing this ASICS shoe is for real. Good to see some competition, at least.

Slowtwitch Editorial Team // Twitter // IG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not the shoes, it's the athlete. Flora Duffy would have won wearing Nike Waffle Racers from the 70's.
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon super shoe [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly! There was no stopping her. And there are no magical shoes that will turn anyone into a fast runner!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the last 3 years I’ve been using the variations of the vaporfly and wore the flyknit version sockless for Olympics. Worked out well. Easy to get on and only a few rubbing spots but that’s my fault for not testing in training then adding KT tape to those areas.

Before switching to the supershoe my go to was hyper speed/hyper tri. Had good snap and crazy comfy sockless.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon super shoe [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r-b wrote:
Exactly! There was no stopping her. And there are no magical shoes that will turn anyone into a fast runner!

Yet the Vaporfly actually will turn a runner into a slightly faster runner of themselves on the order of about 4-10sec/mile, regardless of speed/ability. Yeah, I actually tried it myself, was shocked at the results.

It's such a big advantage that I literally feel that if you're showing up for an AG podium and NOT wearing the VFs or Alphaflys, it's not too far off compared to racing the bike without aerobars. And I'm literally that guy who until he tried them about 4 months ago, was the guy saying 'nahhhhh - it's ALL about the athlete, not the shoes.'

(Still, the VF obviously will not take a slower runner and make them into a FOP overnight, duh.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That depends on a lot of things but asking what is the best triathlon super shoe begs the question "for what kind of triathlon"? Super sprint, sprint, Olympic, half, or full? They are different animals requiring different shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon super shoe [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
It's not the shoes, it's the athlete. Flora Duffy would have won wearing Nike Waffle Racers from the 70's.

She would have won without aero wheels too. Should we stop bothering with those?
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon super shoe [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
r-b wrote:

Yet the Vaporfly actually will turn a runner into a slightly faster runner of themselves on the order of about 4-10sec/mile, regardless of speed/ability. Yeah, I actually tried it myself, was shocked at the results.

It's such a big advantage that I literally feel that if you're showing up for an AG podium and NOT wearing the VFs or Alphaflys, it's not too far off compared to racing the bike without aerobars. And I'm literally that guy who until he tried them about 4 months ago, was the guy saying 'nahhhhh - it's ALL about the athlete, not the shoes.'

(Still, the VF obviously will not take a slower runner and make them into a FOP overnight, duh.)

Sorry for possibly hijacking this thread for a personal advice/question. Just found a great deal on Alphafly's for just under €200, would you also recommend using the Alphafly for 70.3 races as well? (think I'm between MOP/FOP runner, open HM PR just under 1.18 with the "old" zoomfly 2)
And would it be feasible to get familiar with these shoes in 2 (short) test-runs leading up to next sundays' race? Finally, any sizing recommendation, typically I'm a size 47 in other Nike shoes with very narrow/low volume feet (I anticipate on using socks during the 70.3)
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon super shoe [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kempenaer wrote:
lightheir wrote:
r-b wrote:

Sorry for possibly hijacking this thread for a personal advice/question. Just found a great deal on Alphafly's for just under €200, would you also recommend using the Alphafly for 70.3 races as well? (think I'm between MOP/FOP runner, open HM PR just under 1.18 with the "old" zoomfly 2)
And would it be feasible to get familiar with these shoes in 2 (short) test-runs leading up to next sundays' race? Finally, any sizing recommendation, typically I'm a size 47 in other Nike shoes with very narrow/low volume feet (I anticipate on using socks during the 70.3)

Yes, the Alphafly will absolutely work for 70.3, and all distances, for that matter. I found on my intervals it gives that 4%ish speed boost at all speeds, meaning even my z1 recovery between-interval times were faster. It's got a big lump in the middle of the shoe for the arch of the foot that if you're flatter footed, makes it feel a little weirder at slower speeds, but it hasn't been a problem for me and I'm the flattest footed person out there.

Ran true to size for me. I have feet that prefer wide shoes (I normally buy the wide size) but have been ok with the toebox of Alphafly. A tip I've found that helps for us wide-sized people with narrower shoes is to put Bodyglide between your toes before you run, will remove any blistering from crowded toes.

You def should test the shoes prior to race, but just because it's good protocol. I literally needed zero acclimation runs to the VF and I don't run in any other Nike shoes. I think you'll know if you can use them without acclimation in a single run. Luckily, they are quite soft, so it's not like transitioning to track shoes that have no padding that you have to adapt to.

And BTW, 1.18 open HM time is clearly a FOP runner. Not for pros obviously, but at the AG level, you're clearly FOP, even if you still get outrun by a few folks in big races (and by a lot at Kona).
Last edited by: lightheir: Jul 28, 21 3:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Kempenaer wrote:
lightheir wrote:
r-b wrote:

Yes, the Alphafly will absolutely work for 70.3, and all distances, for that matter. I found on my intervals it gives that 4%ish speed boost at all speeds, meaning even my z1 recovery between-interval times were faster. It's got a big lump in the middle of the shoe for the arch of the foot that if you're flatter footed, makes it feel a little weirder at slower speeds, but it hasn't been a problem for me and I'm the flattest footed person out there.

Ran true to size for me. I have feet that prefer wide shoes (I normally buy the wide size) but have been ok with the toebox of Alphafly. A tip I've found that helps for us wide-sized people with narrower shoes is to put Bodyglide between your toes before you run, will remove any blistering from crowded toes.

You def should test the shoes prior to race, but just because it's good protocol. I literally needed zero acclimation runs to the VF and I don't run in any other Nike shoes. I think you'll know if you can use them without acclimation in a single run. Luckily, they are quite soft, so it's not like transitioning to track shoes that have no padding that you have to adapt to.

And BTW, 1.18 open HM time is clearly a FOP runner. Not for pros obviously, but at the AG level, you're clearly FOP, even if you still get outrun by a few folks in big races (and by a lot at Kona).

Thanks for this info, shoes are on it's way! Also good to know regarding the arch support as I'm a fellow flat footer ;-) (I usually run with orthotics (half length) but will see whether this is even needed)
Regarding "clearly" FOP run ... well let's report back after the race, but sofar my bike has always been my biggest strength by far
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Ran true to size for me. I have feet that prefer wide shoes (I normally buy the wide size) but have been ok with the toebox of Alphafly. A tip I've found that helps for us wide-sized people with narrower shoes is to put Bodyglide between your toes before you run, will remove any blistering from crowded toes........

I've found that Injinji socks work fantastic for that as well. That said, they do take a little longer to put on your feet if that is a concern.
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon super shoe [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Thanks for this info, shoes are on it's way! Also good to know regarding the arch support as I'm a fellow flat footer ;-) (I usually run with orthotics (half length) but will see whether this is even needed)
Regarding "clearly" FOP run ... well let's report back after the race, but sofar my bike has always been my biggest strength by far"
--------------------------------------
FYI - I have had an ankle injury from 25 years ago and have ALWAYS needed an orthotic or some type of insert (even in street shoes) or the ankle would flare up. In the Vapor/Alpha Fly series I do NOT need anything extra and have had NO ankle problems.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a pair of Vaoprfly Next % 2’s earlier this year. Without doubt they make you faster for no more effort. IMHO probably 10 seconds per mile. I have raced 1x half ironman and 1 x standard distance in them. They don’t provide much support especially when running tired and maybe on the mid foot/heels. So much so that I suffered an Achilles strain due to over pronating. It could be that I should have had them a bit tighter and more secure, I was using elastic laces. I also have a pair of original Hoka Carbon X. They are very comfortable, much more stable but no where near the same spring or feeling of propulsion you get with the Nikes.
I’m in two minds about using tbe Vaporflys again. Have another half in three weeks and don’t want to suffer another injury.
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon super shoe [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is interesting how biomechanics are different for different people. The Carbon X caused issues with my knee and ankle. The VF Next% causes no problems (I pronate) - I wore them in an IM with the least issues I have ever had.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, race is done. received the AF's on friday and sizing is indeed in-line with all other Nike running shoes, actually the fit is almost perfect for my feet with the tight middle-part. Small test-run on saturday with 2 tempo pick-ups ... these def. send you flying!
Race (70.3 Maatsricht) was rescheduled to run-bike-run. Noticed before the start that 80% of the guys around me also were using either Next% or AF, with a couple Hoka's in the mix and only a few on non-supershoes.
First run 5.3 km, plan was to start easy-ish (20min) but that didn't workout (18.59 / 3.33pace), shoes felt great (legs not so from the very first step...). Then obv. didn't use these shoes on the bike :-) but returned to T2 in 6th OA. Time to lace-up the AF's for a 2nd time, immediately was having big cramps in upper legs; but still managed to struggle the first 10k under 40 min (thanks to the shoes I guess!). after that the wheels fell of completely and finally finished the HM in 1.29. (think 30th OA and 3rd AG as one guy either had super-super-shoes to run a 1.02 HM or skipped the 2nd run loop ;-) )
Conclusion, hard to say whether the shoes saved me from worse or whether they didn't matter for the 2nd run; but I think the former as it might have prevented the cramping to really destroy the legs!

One question, in the last 5k, the right shoe started developing a sharp sticky/clicking with each step ... not sure whether these shoes can "break" but it's slightly worrying me (at home, I also noticed that these "vertical threads/wires" in the air-pods have started to break?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't watch the Olympics, but Newton at one time was the only brand pretty much entirely designed by triathletes. It used to be a whos who of triathletes and Ironman company people -- PNF, Heather Fuhr, etc.

Do any STers besides me still wear Newtons?

I buy them mostly used off of eBay unless a new older model pair is cheap. It probably has been near 15 years since I bought the current model shoe.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using Hoka One One Clifton 7 from a while now. One main reason for me to use this is the light weight, the look is premium too. In case of any change in future I'm looking forward to Mizuno Wave Rider 24. Not the finalized choice but read it's review https://srcgadgets.com/best-triathlon-shoes/ it seems to have some quality and deserve a try :)

Hey all! My name is Eric Jordan and I’m the creator of srcgadgets.com.

I am extremely passionate about triathlon and love to write about it. You may find me doing triathlon training or discussing it.

This blog is dedicated to the coverage of product reviews and buying guides. Unlike other websites, we just don’t want to create content and make sales, our aim is to help people discover quality products that suit all their needs.
Last edited by: AlexSmith: Aug 4, 21 22:28
Quote Reply

Prev Next