Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

best pepper spray-like product for domesticated and wild animal defense
Quote | Reply
I regularly trail run and mountain bike in an area with large, not always well controlled, dogs, plus wild coyotes and mountain lions. Recently I had two experiences that made me think about safety. In the first, a German shepherd repeatedly charged at me with bared teeth, though didn't make contact, until finally an owner thankfully showed up. In the second, a large coyote ran up a path toward me until it was surprisingly close, within 20 ft, and I was preparing for contact, and then it casually deviated around me a little and just kept going.

I'm thinking carrying a fairly compact pepper spray (or mace?) product is probably warranted. Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: best pepper spray-like product for domesticated and wild animal defense [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get mine at pet smart. Easy to carry. Effective but pet-specific. Straight focused stream.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: best pepper spray-like product for domesticated and wild animal defense [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
I get mine at pet smart. Easy to carry. Effective but pet-specific. Straight focused stream.

Interesting, looks like they sell a citronella product that they claim is as effective as 10 percent pepper spray without the health consequences of the latter. I think of this as a last resort, if a domestic or wild animal is closing in for an attack, so I'm not too worried about injuring the animal in that context, though if it works just as well, certainly don't mind avoiding harm.
Quote Reply
Re: best pepper spray-like product for domesticated and wild animal defense [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Various options on Amazon, including "advanced police strength" spray that includes "major capsaicinoids" plus CS tear gas, that sounds promising if my physical health and life are on the line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given all the anecdotes about aggressive dogs posted on here, I'm surprised more folks didn't chime in with recommendations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just run...They will follow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also interested in starting to carry a pepper spray after a recent close call with a dog attack. Looking for something that I don't have to carry in my hand the entire time or that just clips on and then bounces around. Any recommendations for a secure carrying method?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, let me say I completely believe you on the issue and your need of spray...…..with that said....I have run trails with my Border Collie for years. Many year in Montana, outside of Billings and in the adjacent mountains. I have never had one issue with a dog or animal. My little Gwennie has warned me of bear, startled Moose. You name it. I just don't understand all these loose dogs that bother people. …………….Again, I 100% believe you. Is this more a thing where people who live in the city take there cooped up dogs and let them loose on trails without being proper owners? Its sad that owners are giving dogs a bad rap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A neighbor sells some self defense devices, pepper spray, stun guns etc. One day she joined us for a morning run and she brought this little half glove looking thing that she wore on her hand, I asked what it was and she showed me and I immediately bought one from her as I was attacked by a dog when out running alone one morning. I wasn't sure if it was ok to share her personal link but if you do a quick google search on Hot Lil Hand Pepper Spray you'll see what i'm talking about, I like it because it stays in my hand without having to hold onto the device.
Quote Reply
Re: best pepper spray-like product for domesticated and wild animal defense [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Thanks for this post; I had a too close encounter with an elk recently and would rather be better prepared next time ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
I regularly trail run and mountain bike in an area with large, not always well controlled, dogs, plus wild coyotes and mountain lions. Recently I had two experiences that made me think about safety. In the first, a German shepherd repeatedly charged at me with bared teeth, though didn't make contact, until finally an owner thankfully showed up. In the second, a large coyote ran up a path toward me until it was surprisingly close, within 20 ft, and I was preparing for contact, and then it casually deviated around me a little and just kept going.

I'm thinking carrying a fairly compact pepper spray (or mace?) product is probably warranted. Any recommendations?

I've been bit by dogs four times on the run (two of those, the owners gave me a hard time and I called animal control). Also been chased on the bike. I carry a small pepper spray can that has an elastic loop that fits on the belt/waist pouch that I keep my phone and id in. I have a few different brands and they're basically all the same, the key as someone pointed out is the carrying convenience. the times I've been bit I had little or no warning (had earbuds in, or the dog didn't bark but just attacked), so getting to the spray quickly is paramount. In areas with a high likelihood of problems, the spray is in my hand an unlocked. While I carry it on the bike, it's been easier to just downshift and get the heck out than to try an get the spray ready. The stuff works, or at least on me, was testing it by spraying it in the bathroom sink, more powerful than imagined, back spray hit me in the face...wasn't pleasant!
Quote Reply
Re: best pepper spray-like product for domesticated and wild animal defense [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Peacemaker. Fits nicely in my jersey pocket and earns its name when trouble comes knocking.
Last edited by: Traphaus: Apr 15, 19 19:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Various options on Amazon, including "advanced police strength" spray that includes "major capsaicinoids" plus CS tear gas, that sounds promising if my physical health and life are on the line.

Well if it is this one I can testify that is burns like crazy and doesn't wash off easily :-)

I am on my 2nd one of these. I used it while cycling a few weekends ago on a very aggressive dog. Some of it got on my legs and on my fingers and hand. Those areas burned like a sunburn for the rest of the day even after trying to wash it with soap and water several times. I was fine the next day. I think it would work well if one is running, but cycling it is hard to use while in motion and actually hit the dog. It fits in the CalPac storage and is easy to reach. Most dogs on my route(s) must have been sprayed by someone else because lately I can just point my hand back at them like I am going to spray and they stop quickly. This was the second time I have been sprayed. The first time was a friend in front of me sprayed a dog and the mist blew back on me. Fortunately it was a different brand that was mild and I had sunglasses on.

I may try something different next time that sprays better, but for running it probably would be effective and it is small.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Counter Assault bear spray will stop the wild things, as well as dogs..
it's what I carry in bear country.
Quote Reply
Re: best pepper spray-like product for domesticated and wild animal defense [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

[quote:Counter Assault bear spray will stop the wild things, as well as dogs..
it's what I carry in bear country.quote]

We carry the same thing when we back pack but have yet to use it.

Something that I found useful is a loud airhorn:

https://www.amazon.com/...4683214923&psc=1

Note: does not work on snakes.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bear Spray if you're worried about big wildlife. It has way more range than most small pepper sprays. It's not particularly compact but if it will stop a Grizzly Bear, it should stop just about anything. I take it all the time in my jersey pocket and trail running hydration vests hold it nicely.

I unfortunately got a taste of the stuff by accident last summer and even just the tiniest bit was like breathing in fire.
Last edited by: Lav: Apr 17, 19 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have across wolves and bears while trail running and mountian biking, I 've never thought about spray for them, but I am less worried about the animals as I am people.
Last edited by: Mtbdave: Apr 22, 19 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: best pepper spray-like product for domesticated and wild animal defense [Mtbdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mtbdave wrote:
I have across wolves and bears while trail running and mountian biking, I 've never thought about spray for them, but I am less worried about the animals as I am people.

I've had a few bad experiences with domesticated and semi-feral dogs.

Very rarely had bad experiences with wild animals.

Thankfully haven't had bad experiences with people, but agreed there's potential there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live at the base of Tennessee's Cumberland Plateau. In this area, there appears to be a competition among the citizenry to see who can have the largest, meanest, fastest loose dog. Plus, the occasional bear comes to watch what's happening on the roads. I've been bitten by a pit mix that was hunting in a pack and mauled by a chow. (I was "unarmed" both times.) So, I've got experience.

As for pepper sprays -- those marketed for the purpose (think "Halt") are too mild and have too short a range. They work well to repel friendly dogs who are playing. For mean dogs, I will join with the others in recommending bear spray. Mean dogs will make a second attack run even after being hit in the face by the milder sprays. BUT, bear spray has its drawbacks, too. For one, you've actually got to hit the animal to make it stop. And, if the wind is strong and blowing in a funny direction (not at the animal), there's a chance you will miss or even get yourself instead. I find this rather unpleasant and counterproductive.

In this area, we carry small North American Arms .22 revolvers. We load them with powder shot. If an animal charges and gets on the road, we fire in the air. 99% of dogs and other animals will immediately turn tail and leave the area. Rarely will an animal keep charging with the same vigor as before the discharge. But if they do, we will fire in the direction of the dog or other animal. The powder shot doesn't break the skin, but it gives enough of a sensation that even the most aggressive of animals will stop. (Disclaimer: We've never had to try this with a bear. I'm not sure how an angry bear would react to the powder shot. They tend to run away with a little hooting and hollering in their general direction.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ammonia always worked well for me. And it's cheap. Just dilute it a little with water and put it in some kind of squirt bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: best pepper spray-like product for domesticated and wild animal defense [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not shoot any bear unless I was trying to kill it. Bears can and will hurt you especially if there are cubs around. We have big cats, Griz and black bears in the woods around where I live. I always carry bear spray hiking and mtb riding and sometimes gravel grinding depending on the area. Road riding not so much. I have talked to people with good results with ammonia squirt bottles. I knew a guy that carried a top tube mounted stick that would beat the dog on the ride. I picked up a cyclotourist once that flat ass shot a farm dog dead. I was like holy crap dude, I ain't riding with you any more. That is crazy, I am thinking the farmer might come shoot us.

Bottom line, easy to reach bear spray is probably the bestest for the less and won't get you in trouble with the law too much. If you carry the spray, do know how to use it and keep it quick draw handy. And check the wind, get that stuff on you and it is no fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:

Just a word of caution, from my experience. I used a concentrated pepper spray to break up a dog fight and the only effect it had was choking me out of the house for the better part of a week. They couldn't see or breathe but they were no less motivated to kill each other. A highly motivated dog (or presumably other animals) may not be affected like you'd hope. That said, I doubt you'd encounter the level of motivation these two dogs had. Also, there's no human on the planet that's going to walk through a burst of that stuff. It was utterly paralyzing.

Edit: as someone wisely mentioned above, it's critical to remember that if a defensive tool is going to be used effectively, it has to be immediately accessible at all times. And that basically means having it in your hand and being alert before the encounter occurs. That's going to be a substantial logistical challenge on a bike.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Last edited by: domingjm: Apr 22, 19 22:11
Quote Reply
Re: best pepper spray-like product for domesticated and wild animal defense [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also wondering on the legality of using pepper spray. Do I have to wait until a dog bites me before deploying the spray or just till I feel threatened? What constitutes a justifiable threat? A dog chasing me seems obvious...but one about standing in the street in my direction of travel who looks angry?

I ask because as many times as I have been chased/threatened by dogs I have had owners, of said animal, furious with me that I reacted. P.S. my normal reaction is to yell repeatedly at the top of my lungs to give the dog second thoughts about biting me. It's worked every time. But has come very close to leading to fist fights almost as often.

Do I then have the right to use the pepper spray on the owner as well?
Quote Reply
Re: best pepper spray-like product for domesticated and wild animal defense [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:
Also wondering on the legality of using pepper spray. Do I have to wait until a dog bites me before deploying the spray or just till I feel threatened? What constitutes a justifiable threat? A dog chasing me seems obvious...but one about standing in the street in my direction of travel who looks angry?

I ask because as many times as I have been chased/threatened by dogs I have had owners, of said animal, furious with me that I reacted. P.S. my normal reaction is to yell repeatedly at the top of my lungs to give the dog second thoughts about biting me. It's worked every time. But has come very close to leading to fist fights almost as often.

Do I then have the right to use the pepper spray on the owner as well?

I expect that will vary from municipality to municipality, and certainly from state to state. If you want to be safe, contact your law enforcement office. I'm lazy and would probably spray first and apologize afterward, if warranted.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply