Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
OK, next year, let's ask them for cash prizes and then we will just tell little Sally, forget about that kidney sister, Twinracer needs his prize money.

Sure, and we're all selfish bastards because we have expensive bikes while kids starve to death in the streets. Go monk or go home.
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [Tri or Die] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have to race for beer. Any race In Buffalo that knows anything has free beer at the post-race party. Your reward for finishing fast are shorter been table lines and your choice of brews!
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have the race that i was only referencing as the most recent culprit wrong. the race that i was referencing is not the same.

THIS race had 21 exchange points........ 2 of which had 1 porta potty, 1 of which had 2 5gallon gatorade containers filled with water that you put in your own bottle........ there were no lead vehicles and no closed roads....... there was some sponsor swag and food at the end. i wouldn't think the cost of THIS event paralleled the one you are referring to.

as for the thoughtful 'charity', this is off the website (with minor alterations in an attempt to not call out by name):

Are the proceeds from this race going to fund some big frat party?
Certainly not! Any proceeds from registration fees will go into the "City Fund," administered under the auspices of the City Area Community Foundation as a mechanism for seeding grants to people with great ideas for City's betterment.

still feel like the charitable donation is warranted?

edit to ad: in their defense of this particular EVENT, i see no mention of awards or in this case it even being a race. i guess my original example should be changed.......

Tim
Last edited by: twinracer2: May 5, 11 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twinracer2 wrote:
exactly......

I haven't been to a cycling race that had one person bitching saying, i didn't get a shirt or i didn't get a medal

I won $130 at my second stage race as a Cat 5. I rarely race triathlon now.
Road racing is more fun, and the possibility of a cash prize is great.
I have placed at many triathlon events and won shitty medals or plaques that now collect dust in my basement.
With cash I can at least buy a steak dinner or a new set of tires after the race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a converted road racer of 19 years and dabbling in triathlon-- well, I got a pair of Specialized Trivents so I'm told that once you get the tri shoes you've completely converted over.

I'm not here to rant, but I would like to understand the "why" in regards to the higher entry fees/no monetary prize list in triathlon.

Why is it that you can enter a crit/road race with a $25 entry fee but you have a $2,500 purse that pays 10 deep in a category? However, I'm signing up for tris that are $80 sprints with no monetary prize list. A modest goal in bike racing was to win my entry fee back. If I got REALLY lucky I could pay for my whole weekend (entry, hotel, food, gas), though those occasions were less frequent.

Is USAT insurance really high since you have one leg where your participants could drown?

Is it supply-and-demand? Road races actually use a big prize list to attract more racers. WTC charges ~$600 for an event and has to beat people away with a stick.

Please don't flame me with "if you don't like it, stop signing up for events" because I still pay to enter events and I enjoy them, but I'm just curious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, my bad. I'm guilty of sticking my foot in my mouth big time on this one. From your original post, it really sounded like the Relay in the SF Bay Area which was also run this past weekend.

My apologies.
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [running2far] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Cycling has it right.....Winners / Podiums get cash money in all Cats (except 5, generally its swag)

No goodie bag or event t-shrit. You show up race your ass off and winners are rewarded. Drink a few beers and adjourn until next week when you do it again....

Yep, bike racing is awesome all around

Funny listening to whiny self-important amateur triathletes complain about prizes.

My...minor...athletic...accomplishments...are...not...that...important, say it five times then get over it.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [gfzyriek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Listen buddy, if you don't like it, stop signing up for events.
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FJB wrote:
It is a fundraiser for Organs R Us, a very important charity.

BUT WHAT ABOUT HIS PRIZE MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he will get an organ someday.
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
FJB wrote:

i'm good, but my father and his new liver appreciate the gesture........

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [unclerock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unclerock wrote:
Quote:
Cycling has it right.....Winners / Podiums get cash money in all Cats (except 5, generally its swag)

No goodie bag or event t-shrit. You show up race your ass off and winners are rewarded. Drink a few beers and adjourn until next week when you do it again....

Yep, bike racing is awesome all around

Funny listening to whiny self-important amateur triathletes complain about prizes.

My...minor...athletic...accomplishments...are...not...that...important, say it five times then get over it.

my point exactly. i win races and i don't want anything at all. i usually throw out my awards or my wife does. i have never got an award that i was stoked on. awards do nothing for me. i do like money though!!!. after a tri this weekend, I gave my award to a whipper snapper who had did the kids tri. his eyes blew up and he went crazy. he loved it. i gave my race tech shirt to a guy I work with who is getting into the active lifestyle. his eyes blew up.

...and me, i just wanted a beer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twinracer2 wrote:
nickwisconsin wrote:
FJB wrote:

Hold on a second. Your father is an organ transplant recipient and you rant about the lack of good prizes in a fundraising triathlon run by an organ donation organization?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twinracer2 wrote:
with out that "said whining winner" it is not a RACE it is a charity event!

No, it's still a race. It just has a different winner. One who doesn't whine.
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FJB wrote:
"Did you know that the original title for War and Peace was War, What is it Good For?"

Hahaha that is one of my favorite episodes!

I have nothing else to add to this thread.

Sponsored by: http://www.92fifty.com
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
twinracer2 wrote:
nickwisconsin wrote:
FJB wrote:

Hold on a second. Your father is an organ transplant recipient and you rant about the lack of good prizes in a fundraising triathlon run by an organ donation organization?

see posts above this....... i didn't participate in a fundraising triathlon run by an organ donation organization.

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twinracer2 wrote:
see posts above this....... i didn't participate in a fundraising triathlon run by an organ donation organization.

The question becomes, why not?
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well obviously it was because of the crappy awards!

(if i have to put that one in pink, you should remove yourself from the room)

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [FastandFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FastandFun wrote:
twinracer2 wrote:
exactly......

I haven't been to a cycling race that had one person bitching saying, i didn't get a shirt or i didn't get a medal

When did USACycling start allowing cash prizes for Cat 5s?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [bmcmaster11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmcmaster11 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
2010 Las Palomas Olympic Triathlon- I won a 2 foot tall super magnum bottle of tequila. It's awesome and still mostly full.

You should be embarrassed. That thing should be gone by now..

+1

Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
FastandFun wrote:
twinracer2 wrote:
exactly......

I'm not sure, but I did my first road race last year, and also won cash as a Cat 5

Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [Tri or Die] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri or Die wrote:

that was a classice response!!!!

Attention ALL RACE Directors: I race for BEER!

1st-20th place in all triathlons should be a 1 gallon groller of beer from a local brewer. I bet you will see a cat fight then...

In the races I direct, I examine the ROI for the average finisher...not the award winners...I want the person that comes in 180th to feel like they got their money's worth...In one case, we offer a finisher's prize to all runners that cross the line (everyone that signs up gets a shirt, hat, swag bag, etc)....all that said, top runners are a valuable commodity and have a place in the formula in terms of media impressions and general "buzz"...so, we do what we can to offer overall merchandise awards (no cash) that are somewhat enticing...but, we have spent more resources building up the reputation of the event in order to give it "bragging rights" for the fast folks...

At my smaller races, we do things like shot glasses or coffee mugs for AG awards...and merchandise for overall...

IMO trophies have no place but kids races...I have boxes of little gold men and have vowed never to be responsible for the distribution of more...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twinracer2 wrote:
nickwisconsin wrote:
twinracer2 wrote:
nickwisconsin wrote:
FJB wrote:

OK. Well, I am glad to hear that your father is doing well. I hope people don't give too hard of time over this - your original post does have some validity. I gave up on expecting good prizes at bike races a long time ago. Haven't placed in any tris yet so a non issue. I look at races as a cover charge to kick my own ass. It doesn't make any sense - I realize that.
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
FastandFun wrote:
twinracer2 wrote:
exactly......

You are assuming I race in the USA.
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [jager66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth...I like the idea of beer for AG awards...we are working on exactly that for an upcoming race...
Quote Reply
Re: awards for top placing's in races (RANT) [el_slice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el_slice wrote:
bmcmaster11 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
2010 Las Palomas Olympic Triathlon- I won a 2 foot tall super magnum bottle of tequila. It's awesome and still mostly full.

You should be embarrassed. That thing should be gone by now..

+1

+2 on this! Drink that thing man!

I've won money at mountain bike races - this seems pretty common even going 5 deep, sometimes more.

I won a huge bottle of maple syrup winning a local 5k run - that was awesome!

I came 3rd overall at the "Canadian age-group duathalon champs" (whatever that means!) and only got recognized as 2nd in my age group with a generic medal - I guess that's why it's called an age-group race.

As others have mentioned, if you want money, race road or mountain bike.

Prev Next