Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

attn chillipepper
Quote | Reply
i see what u mean abyt the hills around coromandel township!!!!!! i biked from tairua to coro and back on saturday. thats a nasty descent coming down the top of that hill! i rode back up that way too! haha. im pretty glad my bike has a granny gear at this point in time!
Quote Reply
Re: attn chillipepper [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MAXIMUM RESPECT!!

Nice work mate. Btwn Whitianga and Coromandel is definitley the worst part of the ride eh?

Much kudos and huge nads to turn around at Coromandel and ride back over that mofo!!

Just hope the weather is OK this w/e looks like big numbers as well! over 500 in the K2 - could be some nice bunch's to get amongst.

Will you be lining up with the Elite?? Ha Ha - those boys will be flyin!!
Quote Reply
Re: attn chillipepper [chilipepper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no way!!!!! hah theyre just handing out water and no energy drinks on way huh? i might have to organise my own extra 2 bottles at coro,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, from what i've heard they only hold up paper cups of h2o at the transitions which is pretty poor!

I only carry two bottles on the frame, and am thinking of stashing a mini-pump in my jersey pouch and praying for cool / wet conditions.

If not, go off the front of your bunch just prior to a transition, fill your bottles, then haul arse to get back on again.

If you can pre-arrange bottles at transitions, definitely the way to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah i could get parents to pass me some drinks at coromandel. what kinda bike do you ride?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo soloist / Eddy Merckx - undecided???

Yourself?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kona deluxe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a mail from a mate who reckons we have to line up in predicted finish times, like Taupo??

Apparently over 750 on the start list now.

Long range forecast is not looking too crash-hot, could be a wet one!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damnit i want it to be hot and dry, otherwise it'll be friggin dangerous on some of those descents. i had a bit of a practise on those on weekend.

what do you estimate yr time to be? im hoping to go sub 6.45 or so. im not sure tho cos i havent done a stand alone bike since taupo last year and i did that on 3 weeks training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mate, it took 8 of us just under 6hrs 45mins when we rode the course two weeks ago. The average time last yr was over 7hrs, so we were well stoked with that!!

If the weather is ok, not too windy and there are some good bunches, with everyone willing to do a bit of work, i'd be real happy if i get under 6.5hrs.

Some of the fella's are throwing the 6hr mark around, but i think thats a bit adventurous!!, really will depend on the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apparently glen mitchell is looking to go under 5 hrs 17.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats sick!! - at 5.5 hrs i can well imagine i will be in "The Hurt Box" knowing that there is still another hour, maybe more to go!!

Its gonna be a wet one bro! - forecast is rain and low temps, just hope the wind stays away. Double check those brake pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fuck. wish it wasnt wet. r u gonna wear wet weather gear? i got a nike lightweight jacket. im thinking abt getting my parents to pass me some powerade at coromandel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dude,

Just read your other posts:

I'm gonna wear a sleeveless waterproof vest, or at least carry one. Dont mind the rain too much, so long as the wind stays away. Problem with full jackets that aren't riding specific, is that they create a parachute effect when riding and get real annoying.

Food -Wise: just a suggestion, but would go for something a little less GI than snickers or you will start Yo-Yoing - maybe powerbar, or bananas.
Cracked up when i read Julian Dean's diary in the TDF: he said they were cruizin along in the Peloton, and this dude in front of him pulled out a Ham & Cheese sammie and chowed down on that! Whatever works - not sure of chocolate and sweets are that ideal.

I put 3 carbo shotz sachet in one of those squeezy bottles - much easier than trying to open a gel on the run and get it all in yah gob! - usually ends up all over your hands and then on the handles bars - real mess!

Mate. if you have got your folks at Coromandel, get them to have a special needs bag for you!! Like ironman. Just get them to hold it up and you whip by get fesh bottles and food, then biff your empties etc - sweet set-up!

It looks like its gonna be wet and a little cool so sweat rates will be down, i'm gonna carry two bottles on the frame, and take as much water from the aid stations as possible.

I'm a big eater on the bike so will be taking heaps of munchies, better to have too much!!

Looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey you two legends.

Good luck on the weekend. I expect PBs and race records all round. And report in on Monday.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: attn chillipepper [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snickers aint high gi. it has a large amount of fat in it so absorbed slower. im also diabetic so rate of absorbtion should be fast for me.
Quote Reply
Re: attn chillipepper [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kiwipat.

Unfortunately, the only PBs from this boy will be PB & Js for breaky!!

Full report Monday Morn!!
Quote Reply