Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anyone had a fasciotomy before? how long till you started running?
Quote | Reply
I have a fascia tear on my left shin (hit by truck on bike), and will most likely need to get a fasciotomy (release fascia). has anyone had this procedure before? I'll be getting the surgery early September, but the last duathlon of the season is on 10/10. I have to do that...the question is, can I? I still can't run; my shin hurts. I'll be doing the du just to finish. I've been in rehab a long time, and my overall fitness is improving considerably; I'm not too far from where I was before the accident. but doing an olympic or sprint distance duathlon on 2-3 weeks of training might not be too wise. advice?
Quote Reply
Re: anyone had a fasciotomy before? how long till you started running? [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that i had a fasciotomy on both legs 2 years ago. I had compartment syndrome in both legs (all 3 compartments per leg)... My surgery was quite invasive, requiring 9 inch incisions on both legs. However, I was walking with crutches the day after surgery and without crutches 1 week later.... and get this.....

MOUNTAIN BIKING 2 weeks later!!!!! Real mountain biking, not just pansy ass riding around on a mountain bike!

FYI, the incisions are not into the muscle therefore the recovery is quite quick, and the only thing you really need to worry about is infection.

Hope this helps.

Kathy

(I stole Shawn's log in to respond)

Shawn Skene
Quote Reply
Re: anyone had a fasciotomy before? how long till you started running? [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your injury. I had surgery on my compartment syndrome in 1989 and, less than a month later, much to my surprise, set a PR in a hilly ten mile running road race. I was back on my (running) feet in no time. Since your injury was acute (caused by a truck rather than overuse), you may have damage to the tissue that I did not, but if not—if the original injury is healed save for the compartment syndrome—then perhaps the Oct. race is not out of the question. While recovering, water running helped me stay in (running) shape. For water running, let me recommend the Hydro-Fit ‘Wave Belt Pro,’ which, in my view, is by far the best water running belt on the market (and with my frequent injuries I’ve tried several) and worth the cost. ... Mulligan
Quote Reply