Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

already thinking about summer....
Quote | Reply
so since i dnf'ed the lobsterman(oly) triathlon in freeport two months ago (lil' hypothermia + broken chain) to end my tri season, i've been planning on the next summer. so i definitely want to do that well, on sept 5, i'm assuming. i'm also a freeporter, so that gives me extra incentive. lobsterman will be the peak race for me this summer. i'm not planning on a really busy season, just a few races. maybe a sprint or two early aside from.........

but i've also just started thinking that i want to do the timberman half. now, i've been doing sprints and a few oly's the past two years, but am still young, in the middle of freshmen year at college. i'm starting to build up my running more, as i never really strayed above 20 mpw in the summer, trying to keep my weight down to stay a lightweight in crew.(i like being a 6'4" light)

so to come up with more of a question ish, i've read a bits on how i should do more speed stuff since i'm young, etc, etc, but i really want to do timberman. thoughts?

thanks,
darrell
Quote Reply
Re: already thinking about summer.... [hcswede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"already thinking about summer..."

Yup. Up here in the Great White North it's called hibernation.
Quote Reply
Re: already thinking about summer.... [hcswede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Boston, and I've already traded in the Endurox for porter(home brew!) and the Powerbars for Cheezy Puffs.

I noticed that along with it being 30 degrees out, there are WAY more postings this morning than the usual Saturday, so it looks like lots of people are staring out the window longingly.

I'm a relative newbie to tri, having just finished my first season. This being my first year, and my focus being on longer races, I have been doing loads of base training, and not a whole lot of intensity training.

I think that for longer distances, you want to build up your endurance first, and work on your speed second. Opinions can very on this, but most of the training books I have read say the same thing. For Half and IM races, TTB even suggests forgoing Build phases to focus on Base training. You have to be able to finish the race before you can finish it fast.

I rarely ran more than 30-35 miles/week this season, did 2 oly's and 2 half IM's, and my run splits were usually the best part of my race, rankings-wise. In one my run split was in the top 10%, and I am not a great runner.

Good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply