Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

aerobic/anaerobic...need a little help here
Quote | Reply
I've only been running marathons, doing tris, etc. for ONLY 12 YEARS and have no idea about this topic!!! Can someone give me the dummy definition of aerobic/anaerobic and where thresholds are for someone who does, i.e., 21 min.-5k, 45 min-10K and 1:45 1/2 marathon. After reading Peter Reid's interview, it's probably a good thing to understand after training like crazy for lots of years, and probably not training right. Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: aerobic/anaerobic...need a little help here [rogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobic = with oxygen

anaerobic = without oxygen

Simplest way to explain it, is if you're running and you are out of breath to the extent that you can't hold a normal converstaion you have gone anaerobic. Your muscles are demanding more oxygen than you can suck in and process at the pace you are running.

The thresholds will vary greatly from athlete to athlete depending on many factors.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Last edited by: MattinSF: Jan 19, 05 11:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'll let the coaches give you their answers but when reid was referring to aerobic training i would assume, because he's coached my mark allen, that he uses maffetone's formuia. 180 - your age. then plus or minus some numbers based on your fitness level. so if you're 30 and you've trained consistently with no injuries you add 5 (i believe). so for you to stay aerobic, you would train at or below 155. many people on this forum will poo poo this method though so beware.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerobic refers to the generation of ATP by the use of oxygen in the Kreb's cycle in the mitochondria. Anaerobic refers to the pathway of energy production that doesn't use oxygen to produce ATP, and much less ATP is produced by this route.

You have both anaerobic and aerobic pathways working in your mitochondria as you sit reading this. There is no threshold where suddenly you "turn anaerobic". What there is, is a level of energy expenditure that exceeds your ability to meet the energy demand without using a greater and greater percentage of the anaerobic energy production pathways in your mitochondria. And, if kept up long enough, will result in a decrease in performance of the muscles. But, this anaerobic energy production pathway is what enables you, for a period of time, to exceed your rate of aerobic energy production, so, it's a good thing to have.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training "right" has nothing to do with being booksmart. So don't get hung up on aerobic vs. anaerobic.

Go short, long, slow, and fast. Mix it all up. Jumble it all together. Go by feel. Burn the books. Learn about your body through experimentation. And enjoy the heck out of it.

THAT'S the way to train "right".

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: aerobic/anaerobic...need a little help here [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What there is, is a level of energy expenditure that exceeds your ability to meet the energy demand without using a greater and greater percentage of the anaerobic energy production pathways in your mitochondria."

Just so we are clear, anaerobic pathways are not located in the mitochondria.

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply
Re: aerobic/anaerobic...need a little help here [S McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL...OOOOOOPPPPPSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: aerobic/anaerobic...need a little help here [S McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, Steve is right! Sorry for the blunder.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply