Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

aero helmet - what are the top pros using?
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to decide between a Giro advantage and a LG Rocket. I know that the aero advantage of the helmet is largely determined by back shape, position, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have a local bike shop that carries any aero helmets, so not only can I not try any on, I can't test one out in my local wind tunnel either.

So I'm basing my purchase on what the pros have determined is the best helmet for them. Is there any data on the most popular helmet at Kona, or the type of helmet that each pro was wearing? I've narrowed it down to two, but I can't figure out which one would be better for me.

It looks like the giro has more vents, which I would think would be a disadvantage for the aerodynamics, but any info from the more knowledgeable members of this forum would really be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmet - what are the top pros using? [trirookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There aren't many options. I am going to try the LAS Chrono this year, and maybe try one of the giro's once its officially out and i can get it. Either one should be fine. Without a windtunnel you'll never know for sure anyways.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most aero helmets perform well, the pros generally use their sponsor's products

Giro and LG are both excellent choices
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro's are going to use helmets from the manufacturers who pay the bills...

I'd look into the new Spunik helmet.... It's supposed to be out at the end of the month, or maybe the Giro.
The real issue is going to be size, and how it sits on your face....

However... I do think Gary may own every aero helmet ever made.... so if he likes it.. go for it.

"Pace is just a matter of having enough RedBull..." -Rappstar
Last edited by: BlakeSKI: Feb 2, 07 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm just trying to get the most information I can about the products. I'm sure if I look hard enough, I'll find research claiming that each helmet is superior to the other on each manufacturer's website. The only significant difference I can see is that the advantage appears to have a lot more ventilation. Wouldn't this catch some air and make for a slightly slower advantage? I'm just guessing, as I know nothing about this stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not scientific I know, but to my eyes on the day it seemed to be the LG Rocket was a hands down winner amongst age groupers at Kona. Of those that wore aero helmets I would guess 75% were Rockets.

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching the coverage, I saw a lot of Rudy Syton's. I am just about to get an aero helmet and most likely will go with the LG Crono as I do not want to have my ears covered. I know it is not as aero but any aero helmet is better than a normal helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmet - what are the top pros using? [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trirookie,

The CSC team uses the Bell Meteor II helmet so it must be a pretty decent helmet. I got one a couple of months ago and it seems like a pretty nice helmet. It was purchased at xxcycle.com. Of course CSC uses the Cervelo P3C, so that might be the reason there are pretty fast, but it could also be the helmet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a post here that said that Wind tunnel testing of the Giro Advantage 2 vs the LG Rocket gave the Giro a 5 sec advantage over 40k (presuably at 25 mph) so they are very comparable. The Bell helmet is very cool but I believe it is not legal in the US (I have one in CSC red/black). I use the rudy project helmet without the ear covers for IM distance racing. I have the LG rocket as well. I think they are all good and the choice is best dictated by fit and comfort. Make sure you can return a helmet that you don't like!

rc

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmet - what are the top pros using? [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi had your Meteor II been modified as has a much deeper tail than mine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: aero helmet - what are the top pros using? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the post above this one. You've got the results backwards.

FOR GARY, the Rocket was 5 seconds faster than the Giro.

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmet - what are the top pros using? [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That may be true, but I only wonder whether your (awkward?) position had any influence on the test results.
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmet - what are the top pros using? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boing,

Yes, the helmet shown has been modified to be just like what is used by team CSC, their helmet has been modified as well. Also, the team Discovery Giro helmets have been modified to include the longer rear tail on the helmet. I do not know why Giro and Bell would not want to sell the longer tail helmet to the general public, I would think that this would make a difference in performance to some degree.

Glen
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmet - what are the top pros using? [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
limar has the best website & booth at interbike was niiiice a yes
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmet - what are the top pros using? [Danio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, of course his position influenced the results. It's not even a topic for debate. What works for one person/position does not necessarily work for anyone else - even with a similar position. Unless you do the tests for yourself & your specific position, it's just a crapshoot.

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply