Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

adventure racing
Quote | Reply
has anyone here ever done any adventure racing?? i just got my first taste of it at a 30 hour race and it really caught my interest. those people are hardcore. i did see alot of usat stickers on cars so i assume there must be a pretty good crossover.
Quote Reply
Re: adventure racing [ncrunner23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the Discovery Channel Eco-Challenge ('96, British Columbia, Team Phoenix, #39), The 2002 Raid Gauloises in Vietnam (Team Going Beyond, Canada), The Marathon des Sables in Morocco and The Desert Cup in Jordan as well as the Pathfinder Challenge and the Antarctic Marathon (The Last Marathon).

I think adventure racing has kind of settled into its own now with shorter distance, sprint races. Realistically, the sport requires so many specific skills that are difficult to acquire I always doubted whether it would catch on much.

Big fun though. The most fun you can have without being shot at.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: adventure racing [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my 1st taste of Adv Racing at the Pathfinder Challenge in, I believe 2000. Just a very small "24 hour" race. Never did another one, but would like to but......

Everyone cheats.

We were 2nd after the nav (I'm a pro navigator, but poor runner at the time), 4th off the bike (female rider was spooked and I lost 4 spokes). The next set of directions were WRONG. So, we spent the next 2 hours looking for a trail that didn't exist in Kettle Moraine.

I went back to the directors (and Kip, I believe) and mentioned their mistake. They wouldn't accept it. I offered $500 to trek with me to prove the error as I already looked for it 10 times. No dice. I asked the first 4 teams (no one else made the bike cut-off) how they navigated that section. Each said "we knew the alternate trail and didn't take the directions listed (which mentioned to follow a straight path).

Needless to say, I was pissed and pleased. Pleased about our performance as it was our 1st race and we were able to overcome many obstacles. Very disappointed at the event organizers for not acknowledging their mistake...nor taking the chance to determine if they were wrong. I remember Kip being a cool guy, but the head guy was a total ass..... I think his name was Tom.

That said (I waited 4.5 years to vent!), I'd love to learn about events that are legit....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Two-Day Tango!!!

The Two-Day Tango is an event based in west-central PA and combines long-distance running, swimming, cycling, canoe/kayak, and orienteering. The vast majority of the race takes place in State Parks (Cook Forest and Clear Creek) or state gameland areas. The scenery is beautiful! Race date is June 11, 2005.

The sequence of events is a 21 mile run; 4.75 mile swim (with fins); 36 mile bike; 24 mile canoe/kayak (flat water); 11 mile orienteering (beginner level); and a 9.5 mile run to the finish.

Despite the name (Two-Day) the leaders usually finish in the 15 hour range, with times ranging up near 30 hours. People can compete in a "solo" division; as a "complete" team (two individuals doing the whole race together as partners); or as a relay of up to 6 people.

I am not the RD, but have participated every year but one since 1999. I can be contacted for info at rdoolittle@brookville.k12.pa.us

The RD is Thad Turner (Brookville YMCA director) and he can be reached at (814) 849-7355. The website is http://www.twodaytango.com but needs updated for the 2005 race.

Ray
Last edited by: toj: Jan 20, 05 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done two shorter races last year and will be doing a couple more this year with the longest being a 24 hour race. It's a blast but a very humbling experience as well. Where else can you spend an hour searching for a way point that you know is withing 100 METERS of where you are standing yet can't find. The equipment gets pricey with the climbing gear but compared to a new wheelset it's a steal. Navigation is a tough one but you learn fairly quickly, like they say "learn from your mistakes," you'll have lots of mistakes to learn from. It's also humbling and almost embarressing at times. At the last race I did a month ago I teamed up with a friend of mine who's the top road triathlete in Hawaii, just turned pro and will be racing some ITU this year. I'm up there as well but just can't swim with the bastard at races. Anyways, halfway through the race and we're in 20th place or so. As we catch the group in front of us which includes a girl about 14 or so my teammate looks around, notes that the new swimmer kid he's been smoking at all the tris is right with us, the girl who is basically tagging along with her dad is there, and in front of us is team "beach chicks" or something like that. He almost gave up and quit at that point not believing how he could possibly be behind or anywhere near these other teams. He got over it though, just as I did the first race. Luckily we made up a lot of time on the climbing section at the end and placed pretty well.

Definetely reccomend trying it, you may like it or like my teammate retire after one race;)
Quote Reply