Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

a very limited comparison: Roka Gen II Trisuit v. DeSoto Riviera Trisuit
Quote | Reply
Hi, folks. Lots of lurking. First post. I'm offering these thoughts, because when I searched and searched, I didn't see anyone else posting about this comparison. I figure others might be cross-shopping these two suits, like I did. For reference, I'm 5'9(and a half!)", 152-157 lbs, 38 jacket and 32x30 pants. Mediums in both brands fit well. Previous trisuit was a Castelli San Remo sleeveless, which has acquitted itself well over one IM and a bunch of shorter distance races. So far, I've only tried them on for fit. I sent one back.

Roka: I LOVE the fabrics and the look. The fabrics feel like they'd cool and compress well. I love the fit; it's perfect. There are no wrinkles anywhere. It's compressive, yet very comfortable. The chamois feels like a thin, spongey afterthought; it makes me sad on the inside.

DeSoto: I love that DeSoto chooses (Emilio emphasizes "creates!") bold designs. Unfortunately, I don't actually love any of the designs, but to each their own, right? The fabrics feel pleasingly compressive, but my guess is that they may not cool quite as well as the Roka. I could easily be wrong here, not having ridden in either of them yet. I do get wrinkles in the arm/shoulder area in an aero tuck. I'm not concerned with losing watts from those wrinkles, but I've read where others were. The chamois feels really supportive, similar without the waffling to my Assos cycling bibs.

I think that the chamois is far and away the most important part of any cycling bottom. I prefer the Roka for looks, for fabrics, and for fit. With one of their sale opportunities, I was able to get the suit cheaper than the DeSoto. That chamois though is awful. Many folks don't like a thicker, supportive chamois, and that's cool. For me, if I'm going to have my nether regions perched for 112 miles in a way that Evolution never intended, I want support. The Roka feels like a 2mm thick bit of open cell sponge, like they used to put in elbows and shoulders of motorcycle roadrace leathers in the early 80's. The DeSoto chamois feels like a modern bit of kit that might prevent me from crying at around mile 102. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to compare them over an actual ride. I wanted with regret to send the Roka back unused. I want to add that I'm thrilled with and keeping my Maverick Elite, my Viper Elite, and my R1 goggles. For the trisuit though, I had to go with DeSoto. It's close to as good as the Roka in most respects and better with regard to the most important part.

I don't think anyone will go wrong with either suit. I respect and admire both companies for the quality of their products and for their engagement with this community. Both suits are of a quality that justifies their cost. Just comes down to a person's priorities.

thane
Quote Reply
Re: a very limited comparison: Roka Gen II Trisuit v. DeSoto Riviera Trisuit [thane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree, I like low profile chamois but the Roka trisuit is a little too far on the thin side than what I would prefer. Combine that with a saddle with minimal padding and I'm personally a bit hesitant to wear it for a full...
Quote Reply
Re: a very limited comparison: Roka Gen II Trisuit v. DeSoto Riviera Trisuit [thane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great first post. It'll come up in searches for years to come!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply
Re: a very limited comparison: Roka Gen II Trisuit v. DeSoto Riviera Trisuit [aavlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore the Gen 2 Roka Tri Suit for Ironman Chattanooga last year and had no issues.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dislike the Desoto chamois, the chamois is fine on the bike but I'm unable to run with it. I won't buy their products because of it.

To each their own. I don't use Roka either but not because I dislike them, I have never tried their products; I was unable to find a rear zip suit when I was looking to buy one.
Quote Reply